Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This always happens  :-[  This week I finished an AWESOME book, Middlesex.  I LOVE those types of books... long arching storylines that travel all the way from a character's birth (or in this case, even before the character's birth) and throughout their life.  Bildungsroman a college prof once informed me.  But the problem with them is that once I finish them, I actually MISS the characters, the story, everything. 

So now I need a kinda "light" recommendation.

Right now I gotta read We All Fall Down by Cormier and then Kite Runner (both for lesson plans for next year).  So since Kite Runner is hefty (read it last year for first time), I want something light... but not too light.  If I were to pick my books from video store labels I go for drama everytime over anything else. 

So... got some recs for me?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
When I feel like that, I usually read some samples.

So a light drama, huh? How about a good, fun mystery? I read a sample for this one last night and put it on my wishlist:

There's also one that sounds good that I heard of on the Book Bazaar board, about a murder in a retirement home. For some reason I just love old people mysteries!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I know that feeling. I call it "the incredible sadness" of a really good book.

I finished this book about two weeks ago and then had to go back and re-read so many different parts that I ended up re-reading the whole thing. It's that good! I'd definitely recommend it. Lots of drama, lots of action, including pirates and other bad guys. Don't let the "age of sail" thing deter you. I could never get beyond the third page of a Patrick O'Brian book, but I love this one.

I wrote a review which you can find here:

http://speakitsname.wordpress.com/2009/05/18/review-false-colors-by-alex-beecroft/

Enjoy!

L

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
marianner said:
When I feel like that, I usually read some samples.
There's also one that sounds good that I heard of on the Book Bazaar board, about a murder in a retirement home. For some reason I just love old people mysteries!
I'll second this one. I started it a few days ago.

I think my reading is getting too scattered. I'll have to stick with one book until I get it finished. I'm probably reading 4-5 right now, which is my usual pattern, but I'm not feeling the joy.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Seeing Gertie's signature reminds me to recommend her book, too. It's very good and a bargain at 99 cents.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Leslie said:
Seeing Gertie's signature reminds me to recommend her book, too. It's very good and a bargain at 99 cents.

I agree Arianas Pride is a bargain and it such a good book. ;D I cannot wait until Gertie finishes her second book.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I am currently reading "The Red Cross of Gold" series. Hard to put down, and the characters are ones you get to follow from book to book!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Shadowraven said:
I want something light... but not too light. If I were to pick my books from video store labels I go for drama everytime over anything else.

So... got some recs for me?
Three of my current favorites - All are dramas, but they are fast reads and not too heavy. They are also completely different from each other so hopefully one or the other will appeal to you.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ooh... so many good recs here!  Thanks for all your help!!  I've got so many directions I could go in now :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have looked into these recs...

Is Snow Flower anything like Memoirs of a Geisha?

Embarrassment of Mangoes - sounds like GREAT summer reading... is this non-fiction?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Shadowraven said:
Is Snow Flower anything like Memoirs of a Geisha?

Embarrassment of Mangoes - sounds like GREAT summer reading... is this non-fiction?
No, Snow Flower is nothing like Geisha - it's the story of two girls who are completely different in personality and circumstances, yet are bound together and become like sisters. I'd say the Amazon description is pretty accurate. This is a drama, but it is a fast read and I found the historical stuff really interesting since rural China in the early 1800's is a period and place that I previously had no knowledge of.

I also checked out Embarrassment of Mangoes, and I have a feeling will be going into my wishlist, so thanks for the recommendation.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So far Horseplay (a rec from my mom), Mangoes, and Snow sound the most promising.  I'm gonna have to just pick up whichever strikes me at the moment of purchase ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts