Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Happened to me twice and yup, fell off the chair twice.  First time was Swept Away, 38K downloads in two days.  Second time was Bound by the Heart, almost 65K downloads before the price went back up.  Looks great in the Kindle report, but no so great when the FREE part shows up LOL

However, it did help the sales on my other books...by whole bunches.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I know at least one author recently has remained in the top 100 for two weeks AFTER the book stopped being free.  So it can be a great thing for paid sales, too.  Good luck!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Good luck with this Aaron! My free books did not have anything like the impact that Marsha's did. I woke this morning to find that the total downloads (after fourteen days) was 6666! Scary!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Looks great in the Kindle report, but no so great when the FREE part shows up LOL

However, it did help the sales on my other books...by whole bunches.
You have actually highlighted another very good reason to have several books for sale. I suspect that Amazon looks at an author's list of books before making a book free. Making one book free while exposing readers to a long list of books available from the same author is great promotion for both the author and for Amazon.

Is anyone aware of Amazon making a book free where the author didn't have at least one more book for sale? It might be helpful to us all if those who have experienced Amazon making one of their books free would post here and tell us how many books they had up for sale at the time.

For myself, I am working hard to put other novels I've written up on Kindle. It's a very slow process because I don't consider a book ready for publication until I can read it from start to end without finding anything to change. (How much do you suppose that obsessive/compulsive behavior is costing me?)

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
I made my book "What in Hell is up with Heaven?" free on Smashwords. Two weeks later, it went free on Amazon UK (not in the US, though - bummer). "Sales" went through the roof and my other books picked up sales also. After a couple of weeks, I brought the price back to 99cents and a few days later, Amazon brought the price back to 99cents also.

Since then, I've received quite a few great reviews and now the sales are coming in steadily on that book. Overall, I'd have to say it's a good plan to offer books for free. Whatever you lose on it's sale, you make up for on the sale of others.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Okay, so Amazon can make your book free at their discretion as a promotion. Everyone seems excited by this and I can see that it would be a good publicity event. Since the author has no say in this, do they still receive 35% of the book's original price? Or does the author relinquish receiving any money for the free sales. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
That is fantastic!

I think Amazon refuses to make mine free because I've been trying too much. One of my books is free in various places because I used Smashwords to make it free. I inform Amazon each time that it pops up free in a new store and make the suggestion that they should make it free on Amazon as well, and still no cooperation.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Ain't No Sunshine went free this morning and as of right now has 2412 sales! I'm really excited, but I'd like to know the fastest way to make it un-free. I don't want it to be free for more than a week or so. I've already made the change on Smashwords, but it's not showing up at B&N yet. When Twin Shorts went free it really helped sales for my other Sybil Nelson books. I hope the same happens for my Leslie DuBois books.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts