Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yeah. It does help!

Write to Market doesn't have to mean "Writing what you think will sell, even if you don't like that genre."

Ideally, find a genre that YOU are personally a fan of, then write to the people in that market. Write to fans like you.
It makes everything so much easier--Books, marketing, newsletter--when you understand the fans because you are one.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
...and you're a fan of what's popular, or at least liked, in the genre.

I came into romance via screenwriting and YA. I didn't know what readers wanted. Even though I write NA (ish) which is supposedly an offshoot of YA romance... Many NA books take everything I personally like about YA romance and ruin it worth their icky (to me) problematic adult romance tropes (i.e. classic YA love triangle. Girl likes jerk. Girl barely notices friend is male. Girl realizes jerk is actually a jerk and friend is awesome. A very relatable tale of youth. In NA, this starts the same but girl ends up with jerk, even though he's still a jerk).

I was only successful once I found a segment of the market I actually understood. Even though I like the idea of romance, and I love some romance novels, I don't like most of the genre "defaults." And it is a constant struggle, even after six years, thirty books, and many successes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Trad publishers HATE this one neat trick  ;)

I often find myself cringing when someone with a poor sales history hasn't figured out yet that even the most well-written book won't sell if it doesn't appeal to some segment of the market. If you can't name at least a few books that are similar to yours, you might have problems making money.

·
Registered
58 Posts
stacia_s said:
Trad publishers HATE this one neat trick ;)

I often find myself cringing when someone with a poor sales history hasn't figured out yet that even the most well-written book won't sell if it doesn't appeal to some segment of the market. If you can't name at least a few books that are similar to yours, you might have problems making money.
Writers hear stories about best sellers that took years to be accepted by a publisher and ignore how all those airport paperbacks they think they're above writing made millions while that author was struggling to find someone who would take a chance on their work. Many seem to think self-publishing is the solution when they can't find a publisher but I find it often works the same as traditional publishing stories. The hot and trendy copycats sell. The evergreen tropes sell. The not-to-market breakout hits happen once in a blue moon.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Trioxin 245 said:
Know the market and the audience you are writing to.
You lie!

LOL Joking here. Also, know how to reach the audience you're writing to, which is probably harder than actually writing the book.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts