Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the font on my Kindle, and I know there is a posting on how to do it from tedsan (The Man Who Actually Cares about Our Reading Comfort). I read it too, but I'm confused a bit. I remember reading, as part of the instructions, to go to the option "Update Your Kindle". (It's updated to the most current version.) I, however, can't select that option because it won't let me. So what do I do? Could I ignore that option, and just move on to the next step? I'm afraid to make the change because I'm afraid I'll screw up my Kindle. Anyway, your help is appreciated.

Tedsan, if you're reading this, I would really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
You have to put the bin file on the Kindle before the update option can be selected. Download the font file you want, copy it to your Kindle and then you should be able to update.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, oh Wow, oh WOW!  What an amazing difference!  Tedsan was brought to earth from Heaven. 

Thanks to all who responded.  I appreciate your help.  :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried the Georgia Font and Helvetica Font.  I liked the Georgia Font, but Helvetica2 was, by far, the best.  Well, for me it was.  I could see why it's the most popular one.  Heck, there's even a documentary on Helvetica.  Helvetica is brilliant!

·
Registered
34 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
I'm going to move this over to the Tips, Tricks and Troubleshooting board.

Like Kathy said, you need to move the .bin file to the root file of the Kindle before you have the option to update the Kindle.
I would like to try this too, but what the heck is a .bin file and a root file ???

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
KindleLa said:
I would like to try this too, but what the heck is a .bin file and a root file ???
.bin is a binary file.... The file you need to install to change the font is a binary file type.

Root refers not to a file, but to the directory (folder). For this procedure, it is the topmost directory of the Kindle (where the documents and other folders reside).

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
WOW!!!

I just did the hack with Hevelica 2....took less than 2 minutes and the difference is AMAZING!  I didn't even think that the text was light but tried it "just because".....AMAZING!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts