Kindle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,505 Posts
Thank you, Gordon and David - (Gordon, I followed the link to your website - very impressed). I see now that the point of the E-store sales is for writers who have their own websites to create the link. This isn't really very useful to me at present (as I don't have a website) but I'm glad I now understand the options for future reference. Thanks, Philip, this thread has been very helpful to me as I've been just one step ahead of you with the CS adventrue and pretty much in the dark most of the time. I look forward to seeing your book up soon. Best of luck with your proof.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,565 Posts
I have a couple of questions (they've been sort of answered, but not clearly enough for my fuzzy brain right now):

1.) If you don't sign up for the Pro Plan at all - can you upgrade to it later with the same book?  And if anybody has done this upgrade, is it a hassle?

2.)  All this talk about offering through CS and Amazon and ED.... it sounds like they apply to the Pro Plan, but if one doesn't sign up for the pro plan, do you have to worry about them? 

3.) What do you all think of Palatino?

Camille
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
David Derrico said:
I'd rather have 2 Amazon sales than 1 CreateSpace sale for a higher royalty. I just wonder if the CS store discourages buyers -- have you (or anyone else?) tried both and noticed more sales by linking to one or the other?
I guess this isn't a zero sum game, you can have both the CS e-store linked through you site or Goodreads or whereever and have the Amazon link, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,565 Posts
Okay, I just poked around the Amazon site and I'm confused....

Aside from the up front fee, what is the downside of using the pro plan again? It looks like you get a higher royalty no matter what the sales channel, which means you can actually set your price lower, and make more money off the Amazon sales - the only issue is that if you opt for ED, you may have to set it higher to keep from being underwater. But you don't have to opt into ED.

Is there something I'm missing?

Camille
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,676 Posts
daringnovelist said:
Okay, I just poked around the Amazon site and I'm confused....

Aside from the up front fee, what is the downside of using the pro plan again? It looks like you get a higher royalty no matter what the sales channel, which means you can actually set your price lower, and make more money off the Amazon sales - the only issue is that if you opt for ED, you may have to set it higher to keep from being underwater. But you don't have to opt into ED.

Is there something I'm missing?

Camille
I didn't see any downside to using pro plan. Not only do you get a higher royalty, but copies you purchase yourself are cheaper.

When I published my second book through CS, they charged me a second time for pro plan but then refunded it a month later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
daringnovelist said:
Okay, I just poked around the Amazon site and I'm confused....

Aside from the up front fee, what is the downside of using the pro plan again? It looks like you get a higher royalty no matter what the sales channel, which means you can actually set your price lower, and make more money off the Amazon sales - the only issue is that if you opt for ED, you may have to set it higher to keep from being underwater. But you don't have to opt into ED.

Is there something I'm missing?

Camille
You beat me to the punch, I was on CS right after you (what is the perfume you wear? nice ;)) to verify that you could be on both the standard and Pro plan. If you are on the standard plan, you can't be on the Expanded Distribution (that's about it). "ED" has so many upsetting connotations. I signed up for the Pro Plan even though the $39 stung, but I don't see a downside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,602 Posts
David Derrico said:
Gordon, I wonder how well sending people to the CreateSpace store works?
David, the truth is I don't know yet. I've had the CS store link only for a few days. I agree with your premise. And if I see a problem developing, I will redirect the link to the Amazon site, rather than the CS site. I actually get very few sales from Amazon of the print edition, so I have little to lose with this experiment. I'll let you know.

Gordon Ryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,602 Posts
Camille:  Wide ranging questions!! Including the political ones.

I have Pro Plan for each of my books, primarily to enable me to buy my copies much cheaper.  My total investment for each book was only the $39 Pro Plan and the proof costs.  Plus personal labor, of course.

Yes, you can add Pro Plan at any time in the future.  But remember, it is NOT transferrable to another book.  If you discontinue one title, or even change the title, you cannot carry the Pro Plan with it to the next title.

I just recently disabled the Expanded Distribution.  Having it ON requires a much higher sales price, since the royalty from that market is far less.  So, I now have all my older books at 9.99, in a 6x9 trade paperback size.  All are over 90,000 words.  The two newer ones I have at 12.99. 

As to Palatino, no politics on this KB for me, thank you.  Besides, Phil would cut me off and draw another nasty picture of Sarah.

Gordon Ryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,602 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' said:
When I published my second book through CS, they charged me a second time for pro plan but then refunded it a month later.
Gertie, I don't understand this comment. Each of my ten novels required a separate purchase of Pro Plan. For what reason did you get a refund? You have a second, separate novel, right? Are you saying they granted Pro Plan status for EACH of your books, from the ONE original purchase?

Gordon Ryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,565 Posts
Philip Chen said:
You beat me to the punch, I was on CS right after you (what is the perfume you wear? nice ;))
Ummm, garlic, ginger and Sichuan peppercorns? (I had dim sum for lunch....)

Gordon Ryan said:
Gertie, I don't understand this comment. Each of my ten novels required a separate purchase of Pro Plan. For what reason did you get a refund? You have a second, separate novel, right? Are you saying they granted Pro Plan status for EACH of your books, from the ONE original purchase?
Me wants to know this too. It sounds like it would be worth it either way... but I'd like to avoid the extra cost if possible.

Camille
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' said:
Philip, after you adjusted the font and the margins, how many pages did you end up with?
I used mirror margins (thank you for telling me about that!) top margin 0.5, Bottom margin 0.25, inside margin 0.825, outside margin 0.5 with Cambria font at 11.5 Trim size 6X9 The result was 374 pages
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,602 Posts
Philip Chen said:
I used mirror margins (thank you for telling me about that!) top margin 0.5, Bottom margin 0.25, inside margin 0.825, outside margin 0.5 with Cambria font at 11.5 Trim size 6X9 The result was 374 pages
Phil, hope that works for you. The bottom margin seems a bit tight. CS could respond that it is too close to allow them trim room.

Gordon Ryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,676 Posts
Gordon Ryan said:
Gertie, I don't understand this comment. Each of my ten novels required a separate purchase of Pro Plan. For what reason did you get a refund? You have a second, separate novel, right? Are you saying they granted Pro Plan status for EACH of your books, from the ONE original purchase?

Gordon Ryan
Yes, I did purchase the pro plan for my second novel. About a month or so later, the amount appeared back in my account as a miscellaneous payment with no explanation. I assumed it was a refund of the pro plan. No royalties have been paid to date according to "payment history." I emailed CS about that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,565 Posts
Okay, another question.... what about bleeds?

I have full bleed images on Have Gun Will Play, and I'd have to go back to the originals and mess with a lot of things to give them additional bleed space.  It might be just as easy to redesign the cover for print anyway. 

Might I be better off with some solid color margin around the images?

Camille
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' said:
If it's tracked by ISBN, there shouldn't be a problem. The publisher has to have a new ISBN for your work. They can't use the Create Space ISBN. Plus, you can change the name of your book which Boyd Morrison did with The Ark when he was picked up by S&S. It's now Rogue Wave.
Gertie, I actually only self-published electronically, so I never registered for an ISBN because of the exact reason that Kristin Nelson raised: I didn't want publishers and booksellers to see that my books had only sold a few copies if that had happened. I was planning to write more books, and publishers and booksellers look for you by name. They would see the old books that hadn't sold many copies and might think the new book wouldn't do any better, hurting my publishing chances. So there is a risk to registering for an ISBN when you self-publish.

We kept The Ark as the title when the S&S version came out in May. The title of The Palmyra Impact was changed to Rogue Wave.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,676 Posts
boydm said:
Gertie, I actually only self-published electronically, so I never registered for an ISBN because of the exact reason that Kristin Nelson raised: I didn't want publishers and booksellers to see that my books had only sold a few copies if that had happened. I was planning to write more books, and publishers and booksellers look for you by name. They would see the old books that hadn't sold many copies and might think the new book wouldn't do any better, hurting my publishing chances. So there is a risk to registering for an ISBN when you self-publish.

We kept The Ark as the title when the S&S version came out in May. The title of The Palmyra Impact was changed to Rogue Wave.
Thanks, Boyd. I didn't know if you still hung out here or not, but I knew you would have the right answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,116 Posts
Gordon Ryan said:
David, the truth is I don't know yet. I've had the CS store link only for a few days. I agree with your premise. And if I see a problem developing, I will redirect the link to the Amazon site, rather than the CS site. I actually get very few sales from Amazon of the print edition, so I have little to lose with this experiment. I'll let you know.
Thanks Gordon, I'd actually be interested to hear if you find a difference one way or the other, that would be useful info. Good luck!

daringnovelist said:
I have a couple of questions (they've been sort of answered, but not clearly enough for my fuzzy brain right now):

1.) If you don't sign up for the Pro Plan at all - can you upgrade to it later with the same book? And if anybody has done this upgrade, is it a hassle?

2.) All this talk about offering through CS and Amazon and ED.... it sounds like they apply to the Pro Plan, but if one doesn't sign up for the pro plan, do you have to worry about them?

3.) What do you all think of Palatino?
1.) Yes, you can upgrade later. No, it's not a hassle: you just kick yourself because the per-book discount (which makes proof copies cheaper and nets you more royalties on sales) isn't retroactive, so if you buy 3 proofs, sell 10 copies, then upgrade, you feel a little silly (not that I know anyone who did that!) :-[ But, no, other than the $39, there's no "down side" to the Pro Plan: you're paying $39 to save about $2 on each book you print (whether buying for yourself, buying to resell, or selling through CS, Amazon, or ED). It's just a numbers game, and if the number of books you plan to buy + sell is about 20 or more, it's worth it. You pay it per title, and can have some with Pro Plan and others without. I believe the cost is $39 for the first year, $5 each year thereafter.

2.) The channels you offer your book at (CS, Amazon, and ED) aren't really related to the Pro Plan, except you must have the Pro Plan to use ED (which is of only marginal value anyway). But you can sell through CS or Amazon with or without the Pro Plan, using the Pro Plan just means your per-book cost is lower, whether you're ordering a proof, ordering an author copy, or selling a copy through CS, Amazon, or ED.

3.) It's my favorite font! I use it for my print novels, and I love the way it looks. I've always preferred Palatino to Times New Roman.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,565 Posts
Thanks David! 

I'll definitely be going for the pro plan.  I'll have to think about ED, though.

I've always liked Palatino.  I also like Bookman, but I haven't used it in so long (I don't even know if I own it) I don't know if I would still like it. But I remember it as a nice round readable font. (Of course my favorites are in the Benguiat family, but those aren't for body text.)

Camille
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,602 Posts
In future, please be sensitive to Phil and myself when discussing ED.  We believe it would be best to spell out the Expanded Distribution component of Create Space.  We wouldn't want anyone to think we were old men, right Phil???  ::)

Gordon Ryan
 
61 - 80 of 83 Posts
Top