Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided that for an SF writer to have an erotic spy thriller on the platform wasn't good news.

I was only selling a few a month, so will probably not miss the income too much. I might even re-write it and put it out as a different book with no sex in it and a lot more action.

Good move do you think? (taking it off the platform)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
My general feeling is not to publish anything I don't feel good about.
It sounds like you were on the fence about this one, so rewriting it might be the answer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MyraScott said:
My general feeling is not to publish anything I don't feel good about.
It sounds like you were on the fence about this one, so rewriting it might be the answer.
Yes, it was my very first book. It was good, but not that good. It has a small cult following looking for the sequel, but I've never been too keen to have it alongside my Sci-Fi books.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
R.Marquez said:
Couldn't you put out under another pen name?
if I do its going to upset a lot of people [over 2,000] who already bought it under my current one. Unless I re-write it considerably, in which case - Yes, I could.

·
Registered
541 Posts
TobiasRoote said:
if I do its going to upset a lot of people [over 2,000] who already bought it under my current one. Unless I re-write it considerably, in which case - Yes, I could.
Why would it upset people? I have a paperback sitting on my shelf right now that was re-released with the only change being an updated cover under the author's new pen name. I didn't care two figs. Just happy to see the author was still writing because I loved the book.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stephanie Marks said:
Why would it upset people? I have a paperback sitting on my shelf right now that was re-released with the only change being an updated cover under the author's new pen name. I didn't care two figs. Just happy to see the author was still writing because I loved the book.
I'm sure that's unusual. If I bought a book twice I wouldn't be best pleased. I would think most people would feel the same way. BUT, I'm not going to be doing anything about it this year as my writing calendar is flat out full already. :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Go with your gut instinct, Tobias. Rarely fails.
One of the drawbacks to working in different genres, as I do, some readers can't get with it––or
refuse to. Is there a toll? Yes. But am willing  to stay the coarse. I hate being dictated to/ordered about––by
anyone.
But this is me. Your case is different, pal. Sounds like you're doing the right thing.

Best, Kirk

·
Registered
473 Posts
Could you put a warning in the book description that it was previously published under a different name? Careless readers might still buy it again, but I doubt it would be common enough to cause problems.

Seems like the erotic / non-erotic distinction is the one area where separate pen names are pretty much mandatory, so good move, I say.

·
Registered
541 Posts
TobiasRoote said:
I'm sure that's unusual. If I bought a book twice I wouldn't be best pleased. I would think most people would feel the same way. BUT, I'm not going to be doing anything about it this year as my writing calendar is flat out full already. :)
Umm, but would it not have the same title and blurb? Or do most people not remember these things? I do have a scary retention level for the written word.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Phronk said:
Could you put a warning in the book description that it was previously published under a different name? Careless readers might still buy it again, but I doubt it would be common enough to cause problems.

Seems like the erotic / non-erotic distinction is the one area where separate pen names are pretty much mandatory, so good move, I say.
Yes, I would put a warning in and the market in thrillers is huge. I would take out the erotica, it was fun, but action sells better in my world anyway and there are loads of people doing erotic stuff better than me.
Stephanie Marks said:
Umm, but would it not have the same title and blurb? Or do most people not remember these things? I do have a scary retention level for the written word.
No, I think the title wasn't that fantastic either. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts