Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking my sales numbers, that is. ;D

Early on, I was obsessively checking them like every ten minutes or so. Then about three months ago, I decided to check four times a day at regular intervals. I cut that down to three and this month, I'm down to ONCE ~~~ A ~~~ DAY. *fingers shaking on the keyboard*

Okay, I guess that's not exactly quitting cold turkey, but I was having serious withdrawals that first day. I'm better. I swear.

Luckily, Smashwords is having that Free for all Coupon Sale, and I allow myself to check those "downloads" as often as I like. Right? Right?

It's a sickness. I know . . .

·
Registered
594 Posts
It's tough, isn't it? Can you imagine what it would've been like decades ago, when all you would have to rely on was receipt of a royalty check?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
For months I had stopped caring about checking my sales, checking them only once or twice a week. But now that I HAVE sales, I can't help it - we need to establish a 12-step program here on KB for us addicts to follow - I can give myself over to a higher power (Amanda Hocking ;) ) if need be!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Oh wow!  Thank goodness I am not the only one doing this!  I thought I was obsessive and everyone would think I was a freak for clicking the sales report so often and I never would have admitted this sickness without this thread!  Congrats on cutting down!  I'm sure this addiction is something we all can get past.  I am on this computer all the time writing and that little report is always one click away, and it's always whispering "c'mon you know you want to."  :-\ 

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I try to only check sales <1x/day.  Of course, I still have minimal sales to speak of, so I suspect it'll be worse once things pick up.  (I'm hopeful!)

"A watched pot never boils"—and that saying applies to more than boiling water.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't think it's the fact that I'm getting another x amount of pennies that has me continuing to look.  I think I just like the feeling I get when I know someone finds my book worthy enough to purchase.  It's exhilarating!  ;D

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TiffanyLovering said:
I don't think it's the fact that I'm getting another x amount of pennies that has me continuing to look. I think I just like the feeling I get when I know someone finds my book worthy enough to purchase. It's exhilarating! ;D
Oh yes. That's why I'm having so much fun with the free sales at Smashwords.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
There is an option where Smashwords will send an email when there is a sale.

If I could only cut down to checking a couple of times a week...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Congrats!

I tell myself to check only twice a day but I cheat. If I'm bored for a minute I go check.

I was on Smashwords every 30 minutes at first until I got my first notification of a purchase (OK, free download with coupon). Now I've spaced it out to every 45 minutes. Seriously though, I still check the Smashwords stats every day or so. I see spikes when I do blog posts.

My goal is to check once a week.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I used to check once a day, but the problem was I couldn't get a feel for sales because one day runs into the next and unlike PubIt Amazon doesn't summarize your daily sales  Then I ended up with the fortunate problem that it took too long to add them up on a calculator, so I've gone to just doing the Sunday morning paycheck total for the previous week.

In the good old days you got a royalty statement twice a year, three months after the end of the reporting period and even then didn't really know your sales because there were reserves held against returns.
In fact, traditional publishing still works that.  It's as if no one had invented the computer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
AnneMarie Novark said:
Oh yes. That's why I'm having so much fun with the free sales at Smashwords.
I'm confused...what are these free sales? I'm fairly new to Smashwords and have no sales on it at all, just a bunch of sample downloads.

·
Registered
561 Posts
AnnMarie, you have to share the secret of your success...I need to quit, too, but the minute I think I'm doing well, SOMEbody clicks my browser window over to kdp and then to my Smashwords dashboard (ok, I guess it's me doing the clicking....bleh!).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Tommie Lyn said:
AnnMarie, you have to share the secret of your success...I need to quit, too, but the minute I think I'm doing well, SOMEbody clicks my browser window over to kdp and then to my Smashwords dashboard (ok, I guess it's me doing the clicking....bleh!).
I personally think the clicking hand is just on autopilot. I can't open my browser without taking a little peek.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I can't help it, I have a multi-addictive personality. This is just one more way to get a fix.

*clicky*

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
:::raises hand in upwards direction while keeping one eye on Smashwords dashboard:::

Hello, my name is Sheila, and I'm a compulsive download-checker.  :-[

:::sits down next to PJ and cages some of her chocolate:::

·
Registered
561 Posts
TiffanyLovering said:
I personally think the clicking hand is just on autopilot. I can't open my browser without taking a little peek.
Ah! The old "clicking-hand-on-auto-pilot" is the real problem! Thanks, Tiffany!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts