Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right, simple question: How many books have you read this year (since Jan 1 2008)?
You don't have to list all the books, just the number.
I'm asking because I read much much more than all my friends, but i want to see how I compare to other book nerds and avid readers.
I've read 58 books in 2008, with two more on the way shortly.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pidgeon92 said:
According to what I've recorded in Delicious Library, I am at 95 so far this year.
You know, that's awesome, but I think I should also mention that I'm a full-time student, with giant term papers and class everyday.

I'm just trying to make excuses.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WolfePrincess73 said:
I got Ken in 03/08. I have 341 books between his memory and the SD card. I have read all of those, but some of them are short stories. That is in addition to the paper books from the months before Ken. I am not really an "improve your mind" type of reader. I read mostly fantasy, sci fi and romance. Stephanie Laurens, Lora Leigh, Christine Feehan, JR Ward, and Anne McCaffrey among others. So comparing the number of books I have read this year to someone who reads more serious works is kinda like comparing apples to oranges. JMO. :)
That's also a lot. I've read a bunch of short stories that I haven't counted.
Also, reading sci-fi and fantasy still prob takes the same amount of time than reading a more serious work, right? I due tend to read literary heavy novels, must be the English major in me.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
tessa said:
Did you add up all the school books you have to read, I sure you read a lot more that you think.
I only added a school book if it was a novel and I read the whole thing. I don't count such and such chapter from this textbook.
I don't read any newspapers except my daily school paper, maybe 8 pages long. But i definitely do watch TV, though honestly I read more. And I don't play video games (except Rock Band whenever I get the chance).

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Leslie said:
Pre-Kindle (the first four months of 2008) I read two books: The Queen's Gambit by Walter Tevis and the biography of Tom Cruise. Post-Kindle, by my rough count (I don't keep a list or spreadsheet) I have read 49 things. I say "things" because they were mostly books, but that number includes a few short stories and the Mitch Albom commencement speech.

I also read the New York Times every day.

L
Is that New yorks times subscription worth it? (I'm assuming you have the Kindle one).
Also, I've always wondered about Newspaper readers, when you say you 'read it" do you mean every article front to back? Or you skimmed the headlines and read only the ones that interested you.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
katiekat1066 said:
I have a reading addiction which means that I go through 5-8 books a week, depending on the books. Needless to say, this means I re-read old friends a lot, so I couldn't tell you how many I've re-read multiple times this year. For example, I know that I've re-read every book in Eric Flint's 1632 series at least twice this year, once each time something new came out. So I figure that this year I've hit 150 - 200 discrete books.
On a related note, I find that I'm going through books even faster on the Kindle. I think that this might be because most of what I've read so far are old friends that I usually read faster, but I'm wondering if it's the sheer ease of reading.

Katiekat
So you read about a book a day. Wow. How many hours would you say you spend on a 300 page book? Reading DTB I averaged about a minute a page, so that'd be 5 hours a day reading for the average book. Argh, I just don't think I can do that :(

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
hmm, I think I'm an internet news guy at heart. There would prob be one headline that catches my eye and I'd lose interest after a paragraph.
I'm thinking about magazine subscriptions though, pretty cheap and once a month is an easier commitment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.