Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my friends, I will embark on an intense journey. While this may not be intense for others, it will certainly be for me. I shall read the entire Julie Rose translation of Les Miserables before my Kindle 2 arrives on Wednesday. Let's see if I can do this. Anybody care to join me? (I'm probably on my own in this, but if you care to join me, feel free!) :)

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Miserables-Modern-Library-Victor-Hugo/dp/0679643338/ref=pd_bbs_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235010386&sr=8-7

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hardcover: 1376 pages

That would be no problem but I think i will pass. LOL

I actually still have more books to read than I could get done in months. I just plan to slowly start buying more and more on Kindle and switch back and forth.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL.  Yeah, that's exactly how I plan to do it...to switch back and forth.  One must embrace the old and the new.  Okay!  I've got no time to waste. À l'attaque!

·
Registered
116 Posts
The thing I fear the most. After I have the Kindle I will just start buying them there and never touch the ones on the shelf. I still think I will like to sit back every once in a while with a Dead Tree Book, as they call them here.

·
Registered
493 Posts
ElLector said:
Okay, my friends, I will embark on an intense journey. While this may not be intense for others, it will certainly be for me. I shall read the entire Julie Rose translation of Les Miserables before my Kindle 2 arrives on Wednesday. Let's see if I can do this. Anybody care to join me? (I'm probably on my own in this, but if you care to join me, feel free!) :)
Well, pardner, I see yer Les Miserables and raise you War And Peace in the original cryllic!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Arkhan said:
The thing I fear the most. After I have the Kindle I will just start buying them there and never touch the ones on the shelf. I still think I will like to sit back every once in a while with a Dead Tree Book, as they call them here.
Yah...so I have more than a couple dtbs that are still sitting on my shelf and I don't see myself getting to them any time soon. I am not one who reads multiple books simultaneously, and I just can not get past the convenience of carrying my Kindle in my purse. Although I used to carry my books with me, the Kindle is just so much nicer to carry in a compact space!

·
Registered
737 Posts
ElLector said:
Is it ok if I read 2666 instead? It was a Xmas present that I haven't got around to and my K2 won't be here until Thursday.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been reading for the past two hours, and my eyes are drained.  I need a break, and I'm taking it now for at least a few minutes.  What's great about the Kindle is that it's convenient, and you don't have to carry huge tomes, i.e., books like Les Miserables and War and Peace with you on a plane, train, or space shuttle.  However, I believe that their is an originality that paper books carry with them that goes unmatched.  One, there's no battery, so it will always be charged.  Two, it's size can also be of benefit.  Think about it; you start to read that huge book, and if you come to finishing it, it becomes an accomplishment in its own right.  You can sit at your desk, stair at the behemoth of a book, and say to yourself, "Damn.  I can't believe I just finished this book."  Three, there are no "digital rights" stuff that I still don't happen to understand.  When you're done with it, you can either sell it back to a bookstore, or give it to someone else as a gift.  And fourth, you can use it for self defense in case an intruder happens to show up.  (The latter is optional.)

davem2bits, you can absolutely read 2666.  I looked it up on Amazon, and it looks very interesting.  I think I'll be reading that book soon as well.  I'll see if I could pick it up in Spanish. 

Okay, my friends, although I don't think I'll ever come to writing a 2000+ page book--well, who knows--, but I could certainly read one.  You guys are great, and I'm glad we have forums like these.  We'll keep in touch!

·
Registered
116 Posts
davem2bits said:
Is it ok if I read 2666 instead? It was a Xmas present that I haven't got around to and my K2 won't be here until Thursday.
I am not supposed to be getting new ideas for books, I am supposed to be reading the ones I have. This doesn't sound like something I would normally pick up, but it seems interesting. I am hoping the Kindle will actually broaden my reading scope, if nothing else because of the prices and the fact that I don't have to admit to anyone that I bought another book.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I have read on the reviews for 2666 in Amazon.com, it's a difficult read. I like difficult reads because it stimulates the mind, but it must also keep my interest. It would have been cool if the book can be sampled on the Kindle. I guess I'll make a brief trip to Borders to see if that book is available. Man, I haven't been to a Borders and a B&N in a long time. It's going to feel weird when I walk in there. I'll probably walk up to somebody, and say, "Hello, sir, is it possible to download a book here, or am I supposed to go to a thing called a cashier? Oh, and where could I find that?"

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I would, but my room has been deemed a fire hazard...as many books are stored under my bed, in my closet, on two book shelves, and in a set of plastic drawerlike containers. If I had the room i would love a couple more dtb's

·
Registered
737 Posts
ElLector said:
davem2bits, you can absolutely read 2666. I looked it up on Amazon, and it looks very interesting. I think I'll be reading that book soon as well. I'll see if I could pick it up in Spanish.
Thanks, E|Lector.

If others go by Amazon to check it out, be sure to click the "I'd like to read this book on Kindle" in case I don't finish this doorstop before my K2 arrives. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts