Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went ahead and paid to host a meet up.com group about self publishing. First meeting I scheduled, nobody signed up. Second meeting, just one person did, and with our super cold weather, it didn't want to drive all the way there, only to have the one person be a no show.
, so I canceled again with the explanation that with so little interest, I would postpone. Then today, I made some changes in how the group was listed and got a few more signups. I set a new date for a meeting for next month and almost immediately had four people sign up to attend. One of those sent me a message and seemed to be bummed that I'd canceled tonight's meeting. I replied confirming next month but said if she had questions she could message me in the meantime. Turns out that Archway had made an offer to discount a publishing package by $2,000,but only until the end of the month.

Of course I gave her the lowdown on the company, and she replied  back grateful for the info and said she'd been suspicious, and that the package was around 7k.  :eek: It's a children's book so illustrations were additional, I believe.

Anyone have info on finding illustrators for children's books?

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
No clue but great job Mary.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
There are so many scammers out there, and it frustrates me how many people fall in with them when a quick Google search could save them time, money, and a zillion headaches. But even if someone forgets to look both ways, that doesn't mean you want to see them run down by a dump truck. Good for you to drag her back to the curb in time.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Good deed, Mary. I'm shaking my head over the cost.

Our local arts council offers art and writing classes. Local artists, writers, etc. run the classes. If you have a similar organization, they might be a good place to approach for a self-publishing class.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Louise Lintvelt said:
I have managed to find great illustrators at very reasonable prices on freelanced.
Thank you. I'll check them out.

dcswain said:
eLance.

I can provide recommendations if you want by PM (happy to discuss how much I paid by PM too)
Thank you. I'll be PM you as soon as I post this. :) I would love to have some links to give to this person. One person who signed up for the group is also a children's author, but she is also an art teacher and does her own illustrations, so may not be able to offer many suggestions to this other group member.

jackconnerbooks said:
Interesting. I just discovered meetup.com. I found a writers group in my area, but no self-publishing group. I never thought of starting one myself, but that's an intriguing idea . . .
I have found a couple of really nice writing groups through meetup.com. One reason I started this group is that sometimes our talk turns away from writing and to publishing, but that eats up time we could spend talking about writing. I don't want other members to feel left out because they are at a different place in their writing journey. Some haven't written in years and are just getting back into it, so it must be boring to hear us all talk publishing 'shop'.

Going to most meetup.com groups is free. (a very small number of groups charge, I assume, since there's an option to charge members, but I haven't come across one yet.) However, setting up a meetup group costs money. I paid up front for six months and it was about $60. At the end of that time, I'll decide whether to continue. And this is where I can see someone charging to attend. It can get expensive.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MyraScott said:
Awesome! Thanks. I think one of the other group members writes children's books too. (besides the one who is an art teacher.)

Oh, sidenote, one of the members said she was anxious to learn about self-pub because her publisher is closing its doors at the end of the month. I looked her up on Amazon and it's Musa publishing. I was pretty surprised at that. They were the up and coming thing a few years ago.

·
Registered
11,674 Posts
Great that you saved someone from a poor deal.

My illustrator did The Race, But Can You Drink The Water? and With the Headmaster's Approval. PM me if you would like a contact email.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Meetup has just raised prices if you have more than a certain number of members.

I've been hosting a weekly writers meeting for over three years which has branched off into an annual film festival, a couple Artist's Way workshops, a comedy Improv workshop, and a potential poetry slam.

I don't create new Meetups, I just use my core members as a base and whenever there's enough interest we'll schedule a meeting on a different night.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've had good luck with artcorgi.com for cover art. I'm guessing they'd be easy to work with for illustrations as well. The cover I ordered was $200, but for an entire book of illustrations I'm sure you could negotiate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts