Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Kindle is seriously affecting reading habits developed over a lifetime.  Am I addicted?  Do I need KA?

In the past with DTBs, I would buy a couple and wait until I was getting ready to start the last one before grabbing something new on Amazon or heading to the store.  Now, I sample like there's no tomorrow - Daily, peruse book lists for a at least an hour (or two)-Daily,  buy books that don't even faintly resemble my normal genre and I have to restrain myself from getting every free book I come across (just in case, you know?)

My budget seems to now consist of books only--no shoes or other shopping (blasphemy!).  The lack of funds has helped my waistline as I'm skimping on the lunches at work, but I don't want folks to start talking behind my back!

What's a girl to do  :-\

·
Registered
530 Posts
LOL I can totally relate! Prior to my K1 I spent my money on DTB but I also re-read my existing books a lot more than I do now. For some reason since about December 2008 I have become a sample crazy woman. I too have cut back on my other shopping habits. But I do find that I have spent a lot more on books at the end of each month. I also have not been revisiting as many of my old favorites as I have been finding some new ones. The KB has assisted in that of course!

I am already trying to figure out how to stock up books prior to my upcoming vacation that will take me away from Whispernet. So much of my reading habits have shifted to operating off of the samples! What is a sample-o-holic to do?!!?!?!?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Rhiathame (member 2790) said:
I also have not been revisiting as many of my old favorites as I have been finding some new ones. The KB has assisted in that of course!
I just realized I haven't reread any of my books since I got my Kindle (except for a childhood favorite I that downloaded on my Kindle, because I wanted to reread it and didn't have the DTB version anymore.) And B.K. (before Kindle) I used to reread books all the time.

I think it's because getting new books is much more convenient. I used to pick up old books to reread because I felt like reading something, but hadn't gone to the bookstore in awhile, and was all out of "new" books. Now when I'm out of "new" books, which has only happend twice since A.K. (after Kindle), I can just turn on my Whispernet and order a new book.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another symptom to add to my list.  I have re-read nothing!  Even my old favorites.  I had to hang my head in shame on the Stephen King, The Stand thread.  I bought it, but haven't read it yet.
:(

But on the bright side, I'm reading faster! ;D

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I don't know if addicted is the word for me or not. Last night I had about 20 minutes before my self imposed "lights out." I *need* 8 hours of sleep but I'm not getting it. I decided I would start reading a couple of chapters of a new book because usually I don't really get into a book until a few chapters in. Before I knew it I was at 33 percent!! I'm wiped out today. I think mine needs an auto-shutoff.

Melissa

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LaraAmber said:
I have been rereading books. As I sell off my DTB I buy the Kindle version, and I've been rereading series as I do it. Right now I'm on the 3rd Robin Hobb trilogy.

Lara Amber
Off Topic, do you find her as good, but terribly depressing as I do?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hate to double post, but as I hit the Post button for the above, I noticed the t-shirts.  Maybe I can squeeze out some $ for a Kindleholic shirt.

·
Registered
621 Posts
LaraAmber said:
I have been rereading books. As I sell off my DTB I buy the Kindle version, and I've been rereading series as I do it. Right now I'm on the 3rd Robin Hobb trilogy.

Lara Amber
I am doing exactly the same thing! But I am a little ahead of you and am on the Soldier Son trilogy.

patrisha

·
Registered
59 Posts
Constant thoughts:

"There's NO way that I'm going to have time to read all of these downloaded books. I need to stop attaining them!"
"Yeah, but what if I miss getting one of the great reads, and then I suddenly find myself with time to read -- and I don't have THE ONE that everyone is raving about? Better keep downloading."

"I need to read today's One Year Bible verses. Oh, FIRST I need to check the Kindleboards!"

"I should work on these piles on my desk...or maybe just learn to ignore guilt!"

"HOW many books can my Kindle hold? Yay! PLENTY of room!"

"How's my battery? Why do I panic when it hits the half mark?"

"Sleep? You can sleep when you're dead!"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts