Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening everyone,

I've decided to submit my new book to a few agents for consideration which meant I had to think about a synopsis. Usually I despise writing these. Each agent wants a different amount of info, one page, two pages, six lines, whatever. And I find it very difficult to distill 87000 words into a sheet of A4 in a business like manner without any of the colour of the novel itself.

But then I stumbled across a lady called Nicola Morgan who has written a book on the subject. I haven't bought the book but I've read bit. Google her, it's worth it. She basically says don't fret. It's the least important part of the submission so just go for it. So I did. Instead of spending days pondering and rewriting I just chucked what is essentially a timeline of events onto a single page of A4, made this into paragraphs and called it done.

It might not get me anywhere but I wasnt getting anywhere before so I'm no worse off and I've removed all the grief I associated with the process. If I do get something from it, big thanks to Ms Morgan.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
One of the great benefits to my decision to go self-pub'd is that I'll never have to write a synop. More power to ya.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Carolyn J. Rose said:
Writing a synopsis is harder than writing the book.
I disagree. A synopsis should be a simple, clear summary of the book. You can psych yourself out and read books and take classes or whatever, but it's really just taking the best of the book and re-phrasing it as a "sales pitch."

...Wait, maybe that is more difficult :-\

1 - 5 of 5 Posts