KBoards.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading an Amazon review today and found this:

I am quite fortunate to have met Michael. He noticed I was reading on an e reader at an Irish Tavern in Florida one day... and asked what it was that I was reading. We had a great conversation about various authors that I have read and enjoyed reading including Terry Brooks, Robin Hobb, Neal Stephenson, Tad Williams, and more. THEN he told me he was an author... in the same genre. So humble. Incredibly refreshing. He ended up being a terrific guy, and I again feel fortunate to have met him.
But I've never run across anyone reading my books in Florida or elsewhere. I'm glad that whoever impersonated me was "a nice guy" but I find this so very strange. Totally don't know how to take this. But it was one of the stranger things that happened to me in this whole "writing gig."

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
It sounds like they just assumed it was you since they told him he was an author "in the same genre".  They probably thought it was you just being humble. :)

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Mr. Sullivan,

That was me. My apologies over this - I was trying to imitate Mr. Howey (he has tons of groupies in Florida, ya know) and wires got crossed.  :-[

Seriously though - that has to be weird. A compliment in a odd way.

·
10,085 Posts
Hmm ... he doesn't actually say he was reading one of your books when "you" approached him -- just that he was reading on an ereader. Maybe some author named Michael Something-or-other or Something-or-other Sullivan approached him and, after the fact, he remembered "Michael Sullivan." Or, weirdly, maybe it was some other author named Michael Sullivan?

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Yeah, I think you misread what he said. He was just reading on an ereader, and you -- OR YOUR EVIL TWIN!!! -- started a conversation about fantasy, and then mentioned that you are an author, but not the author of whatever he was reading. Sounds like he may have remembered your name from that conversation and then checked out your books! Pretty cool!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I have the same reaction when shown security cam footage of "me" wrestling a naked midget on top of the bar, or whatnot. It happens. Although I gotta remember about the Hugh groupies...

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
I was at one of Wilbur Smith's book launches and he told the story of sitting next to someone on the plane who was reading his book. He asked the man if he was enjoying it, and the reader replied that he was, and that in fact he knew Wilbur Smith, and went on to give details of their friendship. At the end of the flight Wilbur Smith told the man it was nice to have met him, and he handed him his card. The man put the card in his pocket and shook hands and said goodbye. How lovely to have been there when the man actually looked the the card  :D

·
Registered
474 Posts
For a few years I ran a blog for the publishing industry. People assumed I was a man, although there was no reason for them to do so, but I just let them believe whatever they wanted. My name, or sex had no impact on the blog's content.

Anyway, I was on a writer's board one day and the woman who ran it was not only telling everyone she knew "me" but suggested we were having a romantic relationship. LOL She was referring to me as him and he, so she too assumed I was a man. The really odd thing is that I was actually banned from the board before I ever posted because she was sure I was some female she knew from another board (nope, not me either, but at least she had the female part right). There are a lot of odd people out there.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Winner of the "best thread of the day" award!  ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
931 Posts
They say everybody has a doppelganger out there. I wouldn't worry about it until he starts hitting thousand-dollar-a-plate sushi joints or renting a place in the Hamptons for the summer and sticking you with the bill.

Seriously though, the reviewer may have simply gotten confused with respect to who the person said they were or mixed up the name.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts