Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lastest novel is about a Chinese cyber-attack on the USA.
Needless to say, I don't portray our Asian friends in a positive light.

Today, the book's website received a denial of service attack from a single IP address....you guessed it...China.
16,000 hits in less than 4 hours before the hosting company shut the site down.

Now I wonder how to turn this into a positive... 8)

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Joe_Nobody said:

Today, the book's website received a denial of service attack from a single IP address....you guessed it...China.

Alert the media! This is news, and you aren't the only victim. T.S. Welti's site was hacked a few weeks ago, too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Joe, first of all congrats on the prescience. As for the website, is it still down or has the provider been able to put it back up?

I have a little bit of experience in this area (I've run a web hosting company as side business for the last 15 years) and may have a couple of suggestions if it is still down.

Feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The hosting company has part of the site back up. Every time they attempt to restart the blog and a couple of other pages, the attack begins again. We've blocked an entire series of IP addresses and the hackers just adjust.

In a way, it's interesting to sit and watch the battle.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Joe_Nobody said:

"The new book by the author that China tried to silence!"

·
Registered
432 Posts
When they made the re-make of Red Dawn, they got scared and changed the antagonists from the Chinese to North Korea.  They didn't want to offend our local communist trading partner/US debt owners, but in the indie world, that worry doesn't exist.  Cool little event going on there, but I'm sure it's annoying at this point!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
FWIW:

I mentioned your "Joe Nobody" name to one of our stagehands, who has shown ZERO interest in any of my books, and he perked up and said, "Joe Nobody! Yeah!"

Any publicity is good publicity. Milk the Chinese censorship for all it's worth!

·
Registered
670 Posts
First, DO report (if you live in the U.S.) this cyber attack to the Dept. of Homeland Security at:

https://forms.us-cert.gov/report/

Second, write up a good press release and send it to media outlets. They'll lap this up. If you can get some media attention out of it, it'll redound to your benefit (not sure they'll agree to interview a "Joe Nobody" though).

Third, blog about it.

There's nothing like having enemies in the right places.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Also, it might be a coincidence, I receive attacks on my servers everyday and I don't think I've offended anyone but the French psycho-analysts.  :p

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
James Bruno said:
First, DO report (if you live in the U.S.) this cyber attack to the Dept. of Homeland Security at:

https://forms.us-cert.gov/report/

Second, write up a good press release and send it to media outlets. They'll lap this up. If you can get some media attention out of it, it'll redound to your benefit (not sure they'll agree to interview a "Joe Nobody" though).

Third, blog about it.

There's nothing like having enemies in the right places.
I want to see you on the talk show circuit. I mean actually SEE YOU! Of course, you can always wear a disguise under the premise of hiding your identity for security reasons.

Joe, if you don't milk this for all it's worth, I will be disappointed in you. ;D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Joe_Nobody said:
The hosting company has part of the site back up. Every time they attempt to restart the blog and a couple of other pages, the attack begins again. We've blocked an entire series of IP addresses and the hackers just adjust.

In a way, it's interesting to sit and watch the battle.
You can use CloudFlare. It's free, won't interfere with your hosting provider and takes about 5 minutes to set up. Once it's up, no more DDOS attacks.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
When I first released my two India books, Not My Guru and What Would Osho Say?, (same book, different titles) someone hacked into my website and installed malware there.  Osho was the guru (the one with the twenty-five Rolls Royces) who had an ashram in Oregon . . .  His followers are pretty vehement about defending his "good" name, and they didn't like my books at all.  (Although, I did say some good things about Osho in the books.)

Anyway, after I changed the password and re-uploaded everything, I put this across the top, "The greatest COMPLIMENT: This website HACKED to keep YOU from seeing this book!"

1 - 20 of 40 Posts