Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, yesterday I got a reborn Kindle in the mail. My excitement was only paralleled by its awesomeness. I even brought it to my rehearsal that night to gloat in front of my Kindless friends. Then, before bed I placed it on standby, got a beautiful portrait of some big God-knows-who guy, and I went to bed.
The next morning I woke up, got dressed, and pressed Alt + Aa...hmm, big guys still here. Maybe I pressed it too fast, accidentally letting go of Aa before hitting Alt. Let's press down on Alt, now keep it pressed, and then Aa. Huh, something is wrong. Well, maybe flicking it off and on. I flicked it off, and big guy did not dissapear. Oh crap. Whispernet is on, could that have anything to do with it? I had to try flicking it off, flicking my baby back on and off again. Nope, no change. Time for a reset.
I ravage my girlfriend's art supplies, aha a pencil, let's stick it in. Argh, a tad too wide. Aha, a compass! Let's try that!
I press the reset button with the compass and turn the Kindle over...oh, hello friend, still here I see.
Maybe I didn't hold onto reset long enough, let's try it again...oh, hello again. Stop looking at me like that, I'm only trying to kill you.

I don't know what to do anymore, I turn on my computer to request Kindlebaord wisdom, while it's booting I decide there's one more thing that might remotely make sense. I get out the charger (but this is crazy, it had almost full battery last night), I plug it in (standby is not suppose to take any battery) and connect it to my Kindle (you're just kdding yourself, your baby's flatlining) *Bee_______________________________p* /*beep*\*beep*/*beep\*beep*/ Voila! It's ok, it made it, I was so worried.

So, moral of the story: Don't take a single moment with your loved ones for granted, 'cause you never know what might happen.
And Whispernet drains battery even on standby, turn it off before bed.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
It took me weeks to figure that out about the Whispernet.  As a matter of fact, if someone hadn't mentioned it here, I would still probably be clueless.  Whispernet now stays off unless I'm transferring a book or browsing. 

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
lol!! Loved your story! First time my kindle froze up I had the same experience! I couldn't understand why it wouldn't turn off or why it didn't reset with the first try. Just a bit of patience on my part and all was well... and my kindle is not a refurb!

B

·
0 Posts
Yes, Whispernet drains the battery, even in "sleep" mode.  So does indexing books, though not as badly.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I keep Whispernet on all the time.... I only charge every few days.... I thought it would affect the battery a lot, similar to WiFi on my iPhone, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad to see it wasn't just me! Also glad to see the same thing happened to a new Kindle.
I still have yet to find anything wrong with the refurbs!

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Oh oh, you scared me there a bit  :D

So how come some can leave on the Whispernet with no problem and others can't? Why does it empty some batteries but not others? Isn't the whole point of getting your morning newspaper that you have to have the net on so its there automatically?

B

·
0 Posts
Atunah said:
Oh oh, you scared me there a bit :D

So how come some can leave on the Whispernet with no problem and others can't? Why does it empty some batteries but not others? Isn't the whole point of getting your morning newspaper that you have to have the net on so its there automatically?
If you turn your Whispernet on when you get up, you'll have your morning paper before you finish peeing. It takes, literally, seconds to d/l your newspaper.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Atunah said:
Oh oh, you scared me there a bit :D

Well, I left the Whispernet on ALL night. When I'm on my Kindle I just leave it on, but from now on I'll prob turn it off when I put my Kindle down.

·
Registered
679 Posts
It probably has something to do with signal strength... cell phone batteries go down quicker in poor service areas, so i imagine Wishpernet is the same.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I think it might be ok if you had the Kindle plugged into the charger and left Whispernet on, but I just never turn Whispernet on unless I need something right then.

Amazon says to recharge often, and it seems to work better that way.  I have the iGo charger that works in the car, and often plug it in on the way to work (almost an hour commute), plus I have a charger both at home and at work, just in case!

·
Registered
433 Posts
My heart was in my throat. I don't think we've lost a Kindle yet.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
got a beautiful portrait of some big God-knows-who guy, and I went to bed.
It's got to be Oscar Wilde, I just know it.

In honor of that portrait that was driving me bananas, I actually started reading The Portrait of Dorian Gray.

Micah, glad to know everything worked out okay...

L

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Leslie said:

In honor of that portrait that was driving me bananas, I actually started reading The Portrait of Dorian Gray.

L
lol... how funny... I have downloaded that one to read, too! I also downloaded The Canterville Ghost!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Leslie said:

L
Actually Oscar Wilde was my screen saver the time before it got frozen, and my girlfriend was like "omg who's that scary guy on your Kindle?" The guy that got frozen looked Renaissance-ish.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Micdiddy said:
Actually Oscar Wilde was my screen saver the time before it got frozen, and my girlfriend was like "omg who's that scary guy on your Kindle?" The guy that got frozen looked Renaissance-ish.
Oh...him. Cardinal Albert of Hohenzollen, Archbisop of Mainz and Magdeburg

L

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Micdiddy said:
That's the one!! There is a large contingent of KB members that really dislike that picture! I am one of them... he creeps me out! I now have the custom screen saver that goes with my kindle skin.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All right, I've downloaded The Complete Works of William Shakespear, the Feedbook Kindle guide, and about 10 other novels for free on various sites. Time to stop Kindling around and do my homework that's due...TODAY.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Micdiddy said:
All right, I've downloaded The Complete Works of William Shakespear, the Feedbook Kindle guide, and about 10 other novels for free on various sites. Time to stop Kindling around and do my homework that's due...TODAY.
LOL... enjoy! :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts