Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 5 months of twice as many refunds as sales, I took my book down from Kindle. I wrote emails, I posted on the community forum, I called and was told there was absolutely no way I could talk to a human being. Now what? I want to publish my next novel on Kindle, but not on this account. I'll have to make another one, perhaps?

·
Registered
586 Posts
lisarusczyk said:
After 5 months of twice as many refunds as sales, I took my book down from Kindle. I wrote emails, I posted on the community forum, I called and was told there was absolutely no way I could talk to a human being. Now what? I want to publish my next novel on Kindle, but not on this account. I'll have to make another one, perhaps?
Have you tried to establish why there were so many refunds? I would.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Lisa, I remember you posting about this before. Iirc, you had more returns than sales. Bizarre.

You mention that you called and were told you couldn't talk to someone. Who did you call?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
lisarusczyk said:
Okay, I'm confused. Why do you need to make a new account? You can publish as many books as you want under the existing account and even use pen names.

EDIT: Twice as many returns as sales is not normal. I can think of a few possible reasons for that. How long was your short story collection? Did you mention that it was a short story collection in the description? How much did your collection cost? Did you download a copy of the book and look at it? Maybe there is a formatting error. Did you get any reviews or feedback that could pinpoint a possible problem? There is an issue somewhere that probably needs to be addressed. It's all a matter of figuring it out.

·
6,032 Posts
How can you have twice as many refunds as sales?! To get all your sales refunded would be terrible to be sure, but surely it's an error / not possible to have more 'returned' than you sold? There must be some way to contact the Amazon accounts dept that deals with this, or at this rate you'll be owing them money!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
kyrin said:
Okay, I'm confused. Why do you need to make a new account? You can publish as many books as you want under the existing account and even use pen names.
My impression was that there was something broken with her account. She would sell 4 copies and then show 8 refunds for the day. This went on for months. There's clearly something broken and she hasn't been able to get an answer. To say I'd be frustrated if I were in her shoes would be an understatement.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Monique said:
Lisa, I remember you posting about this before. Iirc, you had more returns than sales. Bizarre.

You mention that you called and were told you couldn't talk to someone. Who did you call?
I called Amazon support, or rather, they called me. I had to enter my phone number and they called in a minute. I waited on hold for about 45 minutes and the friendly customer service guy said there was nothing that could be done, that I couldn't talk on the phone to a KPD rep. He said they'd email me. They didn't.

greenpen said:
Have you tried to establish why there were so many refunds? I would.
I tried. I only sell about 20 copies a month and get about 40 refunds. Nobody will help me. I even tried spamming Amazon boards and KDP boards. No help.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MichaelWallace said:
My impression was that there was something broken with her account. She would sell 4 copies and then show 8 refunds for the day. This went on for months. There's clearly something broken and she hasn't been able to get an answer. To say I'd be frustrated if I were in her shoes would be an understatement.
Thanks, Michael. It is frustrating!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Victorine said:
I'd be frustrated beyond frustrated. If it were me, I'd create a new account too. I think they'll let you as long as you have a different email.

I hope that fixes it. Let us know.

Vicki
I will, Vicki, thanks. The first correspondence with this I had was that is was a small glitch. It hasn't been fixed.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
They told you it was a small glitch? Did they mention what the glitch was? Was it related to the book or the account?

If it's an issue with the book, a new account won't help.

In the case of glitches and bugs, Amazon is usually very good about following up on them and posting info about them in their forums.

I haven't heard anything about a return / refund bug but that might not mean anything. Did you try to buy a copy of your own book to see if it registered as a sale or a sale then return? Also, what does the book look like on your Kindle?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kyrin said:
They told you it was a small glitch? Did they mention what the glitch was? Was it related to the book or the account?

If it's an issue with the book, a new account won't help.

In the case of glitches and bugs, Amazon is usually very good about following up on them and posting info about them in their forums.

I haven't heard anything about a return / refund bug but that might not mean anything. Did you try to buy a copy of your own book to see if it registered as a sale or a sale then return? Also, what does the book look like on your Kindle?
The book looked fine on Kindle. I did not buy a copy and see. That would have been a good idea. The message I got was that about 1% of people posting books were getting a glitch that caused them to have a ton of returns with few books sold. At one point I owed Amazon $50. Crazy, eh?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't mean this to sound critical, but I've never had one refund nor ever heard of it happening to any other  author. Before you completed the process of approving it did you preview every page? I know this is a lot of work, but sometimes there are formatting problems when uploading it to Kindle which can make the work look unprofessional. In any event, I hope you get it resolved.

Larry Buttram
www.larrybuttram.com

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Larry Buttram said:
I don't mean this to sound critical, but I've never had one refund nor ever heard of it happening to any other author. Before you completed the process of approving it did you preview every page? I know this is a lot of work, but sometimes there are formatting problems when uploading it to Kindle which can make the work look unprofessional. In any event, I hope you get it resolved.

Larry Buttram
www.larrybuttram.com
I read the whole thing on my Kindle before submitting it. It looked fine.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Larry Buttram said:
I don't mean this to sound critical, but I've never had one refund nor ever heard of it happening to any other author. Before you completed the process of approving it did you preview every page? I know this is a lot of work, but sometimes there are formatting problems when uploading it to Kindle which can make the work look unprofessional. In any event, I hope you get it resolved.

Larry Buttram
www.larrybuttram.com
Actually, returns are very common. Sometimes people hit the buy button on their Kindle by mistake and then get a refund. Other times, someone might forget they already own that book and order it again, this will cause the sale to be refunded. A lot of people on the forums have had at least one book returned. My average is quite low.

Anyway, you could send the word document of your book to your Kindle and take a look at it but without further information on how this glitch works it's going to be hard to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
lisarusczyk said:
It is. I even tried calling CS and no help there. Not their department, they said.
Did you write to the SPECIFIC KDP support email? It's different than Amazon support. I've been answered within 24 hours each time from that email. It's on the KDP dashboard. It is not a hotlink; manually enter it, describe the problem and see if they answer?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MariaESchneider said:
Did you write to the SPECIFIC KDP support email? It's different than Amazon support. I've been answered within 24 hours each time from that email. It's on the KDP dashboard. It is not a hotlink; manually enter it, describe the problem and see if they answer?
I did that four times. Got a form letter each time saying it would be resolved in two days.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts