Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a die hard Kindle ONE owner, who wasn't too sure whether the Kindle 2 would benefit me, because I have my books stored (many non-Amazon freebies - 4,000 +) on an SD Card and would have found the switch to the new device a hardship. Now after spending some time on line and 2 calls to Amazon customer support, I learned that:

1 - The new DX, although pricey, allows you to maintain the old Kindle and the book investment at no additional charge. "You can have up to 6 kindle devices on one account, sir," which was music to my ears, since Amazon restricted this option in the past.

2 - Not only is the screen bigger and the formatting the same (that's important to me for a few reasons.
I'm a Kindle author and would like to assure quality on both size devices.
lol, but the memory has been expanded so that the device can hold an estimated 6,000 books. Library of Congress, here I come.

3 - So

I took the Plunge

and just purchased a Kindle DX with an estimated delivery date of June 11th. So everyone can feel free to celebrate the occasion with pinatas and beer. I'll be whispernetting the meager 1,000 Amazon books I have, which will probably take until June 15th. ;D

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Good for you Ed - it's important for you as an author to be able to know how things work and you can probably use it as a business deduction as well.

We will be on kindle watch with you  ;D

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I keep trying to justify getting the DX, using profession as a primary reason excuse. I mean, really, we DO need to optimize our works, right? If I could make it tax deductible, I'd be all over it...

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Thumper on that little Virginia gig I have coming up for
No Irish Need Apply
, I'm getting
$ four figures
, so the devil made me buy the DX.

Ed P

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I thought we've always been allowed to have six kindle devices?  Of course, I didn't join the Kindle community until last fall.  Was it not that way in the beginning?  Just curious?
deb

·
Super Moderator
67,324 Posts
deb, it's always been that way as far as I know. . . . .

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Glad you joined the DX club, Ed! I can't wait to get mine. Let us know what you shipping date is. I think I'm last in line, due to my supersaver shipping choice. Will be here soon, though!!

·
Super Moderator
67,324 Posts
Harvey said:
Glad you joined the DX club, Ed! I can't wait to get mine. Let us know what you shipping date is. I think I'm last in line, due to my supersaver shipping choice. Will be here soon, though!!
And yet. . . . .and yet. . . . .you ORDERED before he even announced it. . . . . .something wrong about that, Harvey! :D

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Thanks Ann.

Ed and Harvey, happy dance for both of you.  I'm very anxious to hear what everyone has to say about their DXs.
deb

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I recall, in the Kindle 1 only days, you could only have one device per account, or so complained many an early user. Since I had only one device, I didn't track it, but filed the info away in the Patterson cranium archive. So perhaps it was misinformation. Either way, it's nice to know we can have 6 piglets per sow.

Harvey, I took the speed route and I have an estimated delivery date of June 11th. I guess picking the overnight moves you up in the pack. But it's not shipped yet. I remember when I bought my first one in November of 2007, I didn't get it until a week before Christmas (which those who got theirs in March told me to stop my whining). I hope I don't get one of those adjusted delivery date emails.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
drenee said:
I thought we've always been allowed to have six kindle devices? Of course, I didn't join the Kindle community until last fall. Was it not that way in the beginning? Just curious?
deb
I thought that was always the case as well. I'm only a kindle/kindleboards user since feb.09 so I'm not sure how it was before.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
edwpat said:
I'll be whispernetting the meager 1,000 Amazon books I have, which will probably take until June 15th. ;D

Edward C. Patterson
Based on the experiences of some K2 owners, you might want to try the sun-fade test before you download those 1k books. Hopefully, Amazon has instituted a better Quality Control program after the K2 launch.

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sun-fade? Not following? Do you think there will be a problem. BTW, I couted up my Amazon books - only 350 titles. The balance are all freebees (some 3,500), all stored on my computer also, so I can easily get them over if I need to.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Ed,

When the K2 first came out, many people experienced a condition where exposing the K2 to direct sunlight literally caused the e-ink to fade, rendering the K2's text very light then forward, forcing many people to exchange their K2. I believe reports of the problem have subsided for the most part, and I would assume that Amazon is smart enough to fix the problem in the KDX. After all, who is more likely to expose their Kindles to broad daylight than a college student on a campus?

I came here actually to share an interesting KDX tidbit. I decided to go through my Manage Your Kindle page and pre-send much of my Kindle library to Polgara (the name of my beloved KDX, my first named Kindle), and in going through my rather large (too disgustingly large, to be honest) library, I discovered that several of the ebooks I already own are labeled DX ready. So it appears that books formatted as KDX ready will automatically adjust for the size of Kindle you own. Either that, or Amazon will maintain dual versions, and send the right version to the right Kindle automatically.

Anyway, I thought that was interesting.

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Greg:

I went there too and saw that and was wondering what it was. I didn't send anything to the DX yet, although I see everything is all set up. Mine comes on Wednesday, so I'll be a busy boy before I take off for the Booz Allen Hamilton gig next Sunday. I was thinking of doing the No Irish Need Apply reading from my Kindle DX. Is that kosher. I mean, I'm bringing the 2 Jim Crow signs (The No Irish Need Apply one, and also the same one you used in my video trailer - the Colored People Drinking Water sign. I used to use them when I was the Diversity Czar at Dun & Bradstreet and trained associates on diversity issues in the work place. I had the 2 signs and a video tape of Matthew Shepherd's funeral with the Reverand Felp's Kansas Baptist folks damning poor Matthew's soul for etermity).

BTW, other people reading this post, Greg designed my No Irish Need Apply video trailer and has been working on one for The Jade Owl, and we have a mystery project coming up. A mystery because it's a mystery to both of us, the third party hasn't told us what it is yet. He's only enlisted us for it. So we might have news for you at some point.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Unless the Booz Allen Hamilton folks are violent Luddites who abhor technology, I'd say reading from the Kindle would not only be kosher, but kind of cool. At least "I" would think it was cool.

Yep, and Greg's got to get off his duff and get that video for The Jade Owl done, too!

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Greg:

I loved the music you picked for the jade Owl. And the BAH crowd seems cool, although I need to replace the word
shit
in the reading. I'll let
ass
stand.

Ed P

BTW, who needs sales. My post on the long term Kindle 1 Amazon Thread (Post # 10,000) closed the thread and I have won an original painting from Sondi Miller. I'm so excited about that. I have all of Sondi's Monster poetry books on the Kindle and bought them all in paper just to have the drawings in hand. Now on the DX they will be dandy, and now I'll have something on my wall. I'll hang it next to the Keith Haring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts