Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was so easy and wonderful. If Smashwords doesn't fix my Nook description problems soon I'll probably be going to Nook through them.

Here's the thing, I do want to keep my titles at Smashwords -- I actually get more borrows on Oyster than I do at Scribd, and it's very easy for my foreign fans to buy my books at Smashwords with Paypal. I also love the coupons, and I do get Overdrive sales. So here are my questions:

1) Can I just plop my D2D epub into the Smashwords interface and be done?
2) Also, can I use their pretty epub for Apple, Kobo, and B&N if I go direct in those places?

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Do you want to be in the premium catalog at Smashwords? Because, unless they've changed their requirements lately, if you want to be in their premium catalog, you have to use a .doc file and put it through the meatgrinder.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Do you want to be in the premium catalog at Smashwords? Because, unless they've changed their requirements lately, if you want to be in their premium catalog, you have to use a .doc file and put it through the meatgrinder."

I thought they had changed it. I tried using the .doc file that I used for D2D on Smashwords and they said there was something wrong with it. I use OpenOffice--I'd used H1 for the title, and Chapter/Section heads--it LOOKED fine but they said it didn't pass the auto vetter.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
ShayneRutherford said:
Do you want to be in the premium catalog at Smashwords? Because, unless they've changed their requirements lately, if you want to be in their premium catalog, you have to use a .doc file and put it through the meatgrinder.
Nope. A week or so ago, I uploaded .epubs only to distribute to Oyster and Overdrive (because I refuse to deal with that @#!! meatgrinder), and they went into the premium catalog without a hitch. (They were Vellum-generated .epub files, BTW.)

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
ShayneRutherford said:
No, the D2D epub works fine, provided you strip out mention of the other stores.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone.

I will probably get a third book up there tonight ... I want to reach their German market.

CG

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
ShayneRutherford said:
This has never been the case. Uploading of epubs is relatively recent at Smashwords and they were never restricted to just the Smashwords Store.

If you want an online preview you need to upload a doc file as Smashwords cannot produce the preview via the direct epub, but you can upload a doc file after the epub and it will automatically select to leave the epub untouched.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want an online preview you need to upload a doc file as Smashwords cannot produce the preview via the direct epub, but you can upload a doc file after the epub and it will automatically select to leave the epub untouched.
Wow! This would be great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.