Votes: 33 84.6%
  • I don't care about bold fonts

Votes: 6 15.4%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is about what you want for your Kindle, not whether you think they should be available for those who want them.  If you want bold fonts please vote for them.  If you personally don't want bold fonts please vote that way.

I've phrased it this way because a lot of people might not want them for themselves but do want them to be available for those who need them.  This question is only about what you want for yourself because I think that's more useful information.

I think we can all agree that more options are better but that's not really what I'm asking about.  And now that I've made my point too many times I'll stop repeating myself.  :)

Barry

·
Registered
160 Posts
I DEFINITELY Do!!!!

·
5,900 Posts
I'd like to be able to change both the weight and the size of the font on a sliding scale, rather than as it is now where you have to jump from one fixed size to the next and have no control over the weight at all. There's only one truly heavy font on the Kindle and that's Helvetica. If you're a serif fan like me, that doesn't leave you with much option.

It's available on other e-readers so I don't see why it can't be implemented on the Kindle.

·
Registered
160 Posts
So how can we get Amazon to change this with a software update?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sorry, in a prior post I ask for bolder fonts when I actually meant darker fonts.  My mistake.  They don't all have to be that way, just maybe one more so I can change from Helvetica once in awhile.

·
Registered
9,268 Posts
nikkidog said:
Sorry, in a prior post I ask for bolder fonts when I actually meant darker fonts. My mistake. They don't all have to be that way, just maybe one more so I can change from Helvetica once in awhile.
I voted yes because I also was thinking of the two terms interchangeably. I wish I had a darker font choice, whether that is considered one with more "weight" or "bolder".

I have also contacted Amazon feedback about wishing our font choices (both size and type) extended to the menus and home screens of our Kindles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
wish all you want  - u not gonna get it.

I bought the Kobo Aura H20 for 2 reasons - the lareger 6.8 inch screen and fonts you can add, modify and........bold with adjustable weight!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Big thanks to Barry--and everyone else interested in this issue! :) Paul Mackintosh at TeleRead already has a link to Barry's thread here. See http://www.teleread.com/kindle-users-take-call-amazon-bold-fonts/

If you want an idea of the difference that an all-bold option could make, check out my post at http://www.teleread.com/oasis-paperwhite-bold-comparison/ where you'll see a photo of bold vs. nonbold. Notice? For people needing bold, my Kindle Paperwhite display showing an all-bold file is actually more more readable than my $290 Oasis with a nonbolded file.

Also of interest: http://www.teleread.com/aarp-looking-kindles-lack-bold-capability-accessibility-issues-remain/

To address one issue, no, bold would not increase the actual contrast or the darkness of the E Ink. But it would boost the perceived contrast and darkness. And that's what counts.

No need for Amazon to do anything other than a firmware tweak--a minuscule cost in the grand scheme of things.

My favorite approach would be a font weight slider similar to that on the Kobo (the other poster is so, so on target!), but even a "bold on / bold off" switch would help.

You can write the e-mail address already given, but while you're at it, why not cc [email protected]?

David

1 - 20 of 20 Posts