Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really. It's gross. I warn you.

For the squeamish, I have blacked it out so you can hit the back button on your browser, and e-run away from this post as fast as you can.

For those still tuned in, here it is:

I had to have the nail removed from my left big toe.

The doctor's assistant told me it was extremely common and they do between five and seven of those per day. Big deal. They don't remove five to seven of mine every day. (Don't worry about the math. I'm on a rant here.)

So I know I'm probably not the only one on the board who has had this done. If you have, you know just how weird it is.

If you haven't had it done, and if you're unfamiliar with the procedure, DO NOT go to YouTube and search for videos taken by patients while people wearing white coats and latex gloves perform this disgusting act on them. (If anyone here is color blind, I posted "DO NOT" in red. Fair warning!) Seriously. Don't do it. There are plenty there to choose from and I'd recommend the one where the person had to have it done on vacation. That is, if I were recommending it, which I AM NOT. (More red! More red!)

·
Registered
466 Posts
That definitely sounds a little on the unpleasant side for medical procedures, and I don't think I'd enjoy it in the slightest.

I've got to go in tomorrow to
have a needle stuck in my eye to inject a drug to try and fix my retina
. I've had it done 3 times already, and it's definitely not fun! I don't know if there are any videos out there of this particular procedure, but one big plus is, I don't have to (and, actually, can't) watch it while it's happening.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Jeff Tompkins said:
I had to have the nail removed from my left big toe.
My brother did that when we were kids by dropping a manhole cover on his toe.
;D
I don't remember which foot though...

Betsy

·
Registered
466 Posts
You know, I did a quick YouTube search, and there actually are videos of the procedure I'm having tomorrow. I very intelligently chose NOT to watch said videos, but if you really feel the need to know what I'm going to be doing tomorrow, do a search for
avastin eye injection
. I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say you'll probably cringe... which is most definitely why I wisely chose NOT to watch the videos. :eek:

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I've had my big toenails split vertically when I had ingrown toenails, and even had one removed surgically (5-day hospital stay back then!). I still don't have a toenail, 30 years later. (I dropped a pressure canner lid on my toe after getting out of the hospital. I think my dr. knew I'd be doing something stupid like that, and that's why he kept me there so long. ;) )

·
Registered
436 Posts
I know a gal who gets a fake toenail made whenever she gets a pedicure.  They make it out of the acrylic stuff and she superglues it on the toe.

On the other hand, omigosh eye procedures are somewhere on the other side of beyond wrong. 

·
Registered
626 Posts
Indy said:
On the other hand, omigosh eye procedures are somewhere on the other side of beyond wrong.
Eye procedures? Yeah. Everyone thinks they are so benign. HA! They are whole topic in themselves.............

·
Registered
421 Posts
A toenail removal is so gross you censored it?  What a let down - I was expecting something REALLY gross.
I wouldn't watch a video of it, but it is a pretty common procedure.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Oh I had that, not on my foot, but on my fingers.  It was my thumb which was on the hinge of self closing door in my garage when I was about 7 or 8 years old.  It was SO painful once the accident happened, and I was home alone.  Was afraid I would get in trouble (I was a strange child and never told anyone when I got really hurt), so after a couple of days or so, when I was in school, the entire nail simply fell off when I stuck my hand in my pocket (so no one could see my colorful injured thumb).  I was surprised and a bit shocked, but then it grew back (though I don't remember how long it took).  I do remember touching the "naked" area often thinking "ooo, this is cool".:)  I've had many injuries since, but the odd thing was 1) I was a child (for most of them) and/or 2) thought it was fairly cool and not so gruesome.:)

Tris

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Ouch! Hope all of you are healing soon.

I watched my hubby have a
bone marrow biopsy
a couple of weeks ago. Double Ouch!

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I'll probably be having a
liver biopsy
done in the next few weeks. That might be fun to watch while sedated. :eek:

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've heard that
bone marrow biopsy
can be extremely painful... he has my sympathies!
Liver biopsy
, my dad had one. He said it wasn't really painful during, but there was a lot of bruising and stiffness afterwards. If you watch it, you'll have to tell us all about it!

As for my doctor visit today... damn, they keep numbing me up less and less each time they do this! I'm thinking I must have ticked the doc off or something! This one not only hurt, but it's been two hours and I swear it feels like the needle is still in there!

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
gatehouseauthor said:
Liver biopsy
, my dad had one. He said it wasn't really painful during, but there was a lot of bruising and stiffness afterwards. If you watch it, you'll have to tell us all about it!
I'd read about soreness after, but not so much bruising and stiffness. Gee, what fun I may have to look forward to. :p

As for my doctor visit today... d*mn, they keep numbing me up less and less each time they do this! I'm thinking I must have ticked the doc off or something! This one not only hurt, but it's been two hours and I swear it feels like the needle is still in there!
Owchie! That makes my eyes hurt just thinking about it. Hope you feel better soon.

[tangent] Just to once again show how it helps authors to have their books in their sigs, I was intrigued by your book cover and clicked to check it out. Sounds like a fun book and you've got good reviews too. I'm one-clicking now! :) [/tangent]

·
Registered
466 Posts
Steph H said:
[tangent] Just to once again show how it helps authors to have their books in their sigs, I was intrigued by your book cover and clicked to check it out. Sounds like a fun book and you've got good reviews too. I'm one-clicking now! :) [/tangent]
See, I knew that cover would pay off eventually! ;) Hope you enjoy the book!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts