Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be certifiable soon ... it's now 4 PM and I have been sitting at my desk since 9 this morning trying to upload a #@&§@## book with iTunes producer and I can't seem to make it work.
So at this point I ask myself, do I make it a matter of principle and keep trying until I go absolutely nuts or do I just give up and go through a third party.
Unless there is someone who does it for a fee?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I've experienced this myself...it's maddening.

My advice - walk away for a bit. Let it rest and then go back and attack.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok i'll walk around the block while the people in the white blouse are looking for me ....

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I officially declare N.R. Wick and Chris to have magical powers.
Now I'll go for chocolate before uploading the second one.
Thanks

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so here i go again, I uploaded one book and went for the other, now the other is giving me hard time with the art cover.
There is one requirement : the art cover has to be more 1400 pixels wide.
So I upload my cover which is the same than the other book in a different color and 1563 by 2500
so i tune producer is happy and i get a "your package has validated correctly" message.
But then 30 seconds later, I get an email telling me "The following images are larger than two million pixels and must be resized"
To calculate the image pixels, multiply the image height by its width. For more information on image specifications, see the FAQ module on iTunes Connect.
Once you have corrected the issue, you can resubmit your book."

Now it does not take a math genius to figure out that if you're going to be 1400 pixels wide and make less than 2 millions pixels your picture is going to be almost square.
I must missing something ... any assistance will be welcome.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't know if this is the exact issue you are having, but... I had the same problem in Dec. when I uploaded a new book on iTunes. I kept getting an okay in the validation process, but an email a few minutes later saying my cover was too big. I kept uploading a new cover image until I realized the issue wasn't with the cover I uploaded. It was with the cover image in the ebook itself! Instead of fiddling with the image size, I just took out the cover image in the book and voila!

Again, I don't know if this is your issue, but thought I'd throw it out there.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yes, what Claudia said. I was getting this same one a LOT. If you have the ebook cover or any other cover INSIDE the ebook itself, then it needs to be smaller. It doesn't have to be 1400in width and doing that may even give you the same error (happened to me too). Just use a smaller image, but not too small. I think I did either 1000 or 1200 wide at 72 dpi and it worked fine.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Merci Claudia, I've thought about that too and I did another epub trashing the cover in the epub doc.
At this point I will take Chris advice and have chocolate before I go crazy and try again.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Lady_O said:
Merci Claudia, I've thought about that too and I did another epub trashing the cover in the epub doc.
At this point I will take Chris advice and have chocolate before I go crazy and try again.
You're welcome! Just wish iTunes would be more specific in their emails...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Trying to deal with Apple stuff generated the most profanity-laden post I've ever made on Facebook, and I've decided I can live without the sales.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I do Smashwords -- but somewhere along the line I made a note that the ratio for iTunes had to be 1:1.5 or the system gets upset.

The example I have is 1,600 x 2,400

I have no idea if that is correct -- but it might be worth a shot.

Sheila

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I created a new scrivener document with the bare bone of the text and no additions and up loaded it again leaving the heavy art cover and it worked.
So it was indeed the cover in the scrivener file, you were right.
Thank you because I would have spent the night on it.
I got my first Mac in 1983 so being unable to use an Apple program was not going to happen.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Fredster said:
Trying to deal with Apple stuff generated the most profanity-laden post I've ever made on Facebook, and I've decided I can live without the sales.
I wouldn't be able to survive without iTunes. I sell more ebooks there than on Amazon!

Lady_O said:
Well I created a new scrivener document with the bare bone of the text and no additions and up loaded it again leaving the heavy art cover and it worked.
So it was indeed the cover in the scrivener file, you were right.
Thank you because I would have spent the night on it.
I got my first Mac in 1983 so being unable to use an Apple program was not going to happen.
So glad I was able to offer some decent advice for once!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Fredster said:
I use direct2Digital. They upload to iTunes for me and I was live the next day and selling within a week with zero hassle. Highly recommended. Don't leave money on the table. Get your iTunes sales!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Fredster said:
Too late for that. :) I have such a bad taste in my mouth for them now that I would actively prevent my stuff from being available there.
Well, that seems counter-intuitive to wanting to sell books. How about you approach it this way: readers who use iTunes account for over 20% of the ebook market. Wouldn't you like to reach out to those readers? If you use a 3rd party to 'negotiate' with iTunes on your behalf, then you never have to get your hands dirty dealing with them. Also, your boycott affects Apple not in the least. You are only hurting yourself. Just some advice. Disregard it if you like.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts