Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazon obviously used Oprah to sell out Kindle1 prior to introducing Kindle2.  They certainly knew the 2 was on its way.  By introducing Kindle 2 on Oprah just 3 months later, Amazon might well have been stuck with excess 1's.  But then they could have cut the price of the 1 and sold them.  Oh well, I like my 1, and much of what I've read of the 2 doesn't cause me to spend another $359.  If those of you who will soon have both think that there is a vast improvement in 2 over 1, I'd love to hear from you.

John

P.S.  I tried to eliminate all the grievous grammar errors discussed in another topic!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
In one of the on line reviews for the K2 I read, they said the Oprah rep at the announcement was late and they didn't want to let them in.  That would have been ugly.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Firstly, from everything I've heard, Oprah was paid for her endorsement of the Kindle.

Secondly, I bet if she snaps her fingers, Amazon.com will give her a 2.0 just as fast as they gave one to Stephen King.

I doubt she feels "used" in any way from this.

·
Registered
788 Posts
ProfCrash said:
Where did you hear that Oprah was paid for her endorsement?
Bugger if I can't remember where. My short term memory is incredibly bad. But I heard/read it in multiple places, just can't place where. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Mikuto said:
Secondly, I bet if she snaps her fingers, Amazon.com will give her a 2.0 just as fast as they gave one to Stephen King.
Yes, but will it be pink? ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I seriously don't think they needed Oprah to move their K1 inventory. They were so over subscribed relative to the supply I think they would have few if any K1s left if their was no Oprah endorsement. I also think that Oprah has probably spent less than one millionth of a nanosecond worrying about this.

Steve

·
Registered
788 Posts
sherylb said:
Yes, but will it be pink? ;D ;D
For Oprah they'd probably make it glow-in-the-dark if that's what she wanted.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Mikuto said:
For Oprah they'd probably make it glow-in-the-dark if that's what she wanted.
And wouldn't that be cool? I wonder if the glow-in-the-dark would be bright enough to read by? :D

·
Registered
788 Posts
In addition to my comments, I wanted to say that if Oprah is really a big Kindler like us, she was probably more than happy to talk about it. I know that I whip mine out at every possible opportunity to show people.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Mikuto said:
Firstly, from everything I've heard, Oprah was paid for her endorsement of the Kindle.

I doubt she feels "used" in any way from this.
I'm sure she got paid for it. I doubt she did it out of the goodness of her heart. ;)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Mikuto said:
Oprah is a very smart woman. No way she would risk her reputation by taking money for that endorsement.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
According to Oprah, a friend gave her the Kindle as a gift and she feel in love with it. I have not heard that she is paid for her endorsements before and would be surprised if she was paid for this endorsement. If anything, the decision to endorse the Kindle probably screwed up Amazon's release of K2. They ended up with a larger backlog then they were expecting.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Oprah's coupon is what drove this particular Kindle user to buy one. ;) The coupon could have come from Bill O'Reilly and I would've still ordered. :p

·
Registered
788 Posts
geko29 said:
Careful, I think that'll earn you jail time in all 50 states. :eek:
Bacardi Jim, is that you in there? ;)

Nah, showing people my Kindle isn't getting me arrested, it is making people a little tired of me though ;D

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Whether you like Oprah or not she is a very intelligent woman and has worked hard for what she has in life. I don't think anyone uses Oprah.

She has always been an avid reader and has promoted reading for as long as I can remember on her show and in her magazine. Faith Hill has a charity to help the illiterate learn to read because her Dad couldn't read and Oprah has donated money to that charity.

I think Oprah's comment and endorsement of the Kindle was genuine, no way she took money for that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I do think that Oprah has helped sell a lot of books and she's probably motivated many people to start reading - or read more. I also believe that she influenced a lot of Kindle purchases. The kindle had been in stock for months prior to being featured on her show and shortly after that it went out of stock. I was lucky enough to buy one for my wife using the Oprah discount.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts