Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend was asking me about publishing on iBooks directly and mentioned a fee to be listed as an independent publisher. Since I don't have an Apple and hence no Apple account I can't do any checking directly but was rather surprised. You pay a fee to publish through iBooks? Could someone clarify this for me? Thanks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
JRTomlin said:
A friend was asking me about publishing on iBooks directly and mentioned a fee to be listed as an independent publisher. Since I don't have an Apple and hence no Apple account I can't do any checking directly but was rather surprised. You pay a fee to publish through iBooks? Could someone clarify this for me? Thanks.
No fee to publish directly to iTunes. Like Amazon, B&N (and others) they just take a cut of whatever you sell. Now, your friend might be talking about something entirely different. What does your friend mean by independent publisher (i.e. small press)?

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Claudia Lefeve said:
No fee to publish directly to iTunes. Like Amazon, B&N (and others) they just take a cut of whatever you sell. Now, your friend might be talking about something entirely different. What does your friend mean by independent publisher (i.e. small press)?
I think he doesn't want to publish using his own name and to do that, you'd have to publish as a small press, right? Doesn't Apple force you to put your own name on your books if you publish directly? That means you can't have a pen name or a co-author which is very limiting if that is correct.

I was going to look at their signup to try to figure out what he meant, but I can't even do that without an Apple ID (which is why I'm not fond of Apple among other reasons). He mentioned that there are two different costs, one for being listed by name and another being listed as an "independent press".

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
JRTomlin said:
I think he doesn't want to publish using his own name and to do that, you'd have to publish as a small press, right? Doesn't Apple force you to put your own name on your books if you publish directly?

I was going to look at their signup to try to figure out what he meant, but I can't even do that without an Apple ID (which is why I'm not fond of Apple among other reasons). He mentioned that there are two different costs, one for being listed by name and another being listed as an "independent press".
It's been awhile since I signed up with Apple, but I don't recall anything about fees, etc. for being an independent press. Perhaps your friend is going through some middleman? I think you can avoid the real name thing if you have a EIN with a business name attached. I got one after I had already signed up w/Apple and haven't gotten around to switching things over. Some states (AZ, where I live for example) don't even require that you have a DBA to name your business, although it's probably still a good idea.

·
Registered
350 Posts
JRTomlin said:
I think he doesn't want to publish using his own name and to do that, you'd have to publish as a small press, right? Doesn't Apple force you to put your own name on your books if you publish directly? That means you can't have a pen name or a co-author which is very limiting if that is correct.

That I'm not sure about. I publish directly using my own name and I don't pay any fees, which again, makes me think he is trying to do something different.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WilliamEsmont said:
It's been awhile since I signed up with Apple, but I don't recall anything about fees, etc. for being an independent press. Perhaps your friend is going through some middleman? I think you can avoid the real name thing if you have a EIN with a business name attached. I got one after I had already signed up w/Apple and haven't gotten around to switching things over. Some states (AZ, where I live for example) don't even require that you have a DBA to name your business, although it's probably still a good idea.
No, I know he is talking about going directly through Apple.

Very strange. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts