Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the website FAQ:

Do I need an ISBN?
An ISBN (International Standard Book Number) is required if you have a paid book agreement for any book you are selling on the iBookstore. An ISBN uniquely identifies the book and its current edition, and helps sellers ensure that they are marketing the right book. In the U.S., you can obtain an ISBN by visiting www.myidentifiers.com. Outside the U.S., visit www.isbn-international.org/agency.

An ISBN is not required if you have a free book agreement and choose to offer your book free on the iBookstore.

Thing is, I read here at WC that iBooks no longer requires ISBN. What's the current dealio?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I can absolutely confirm that ISBNs are no longer required for any books published to iTunes through iTunes Producer (which is the only direct way I know of to do it).

I was in the room when the guys at Draft2Digital discovered the change, and got an email from Apple a couple days later officially stating the change (because I signed up for an iTunes Producer account about a year ago).

I have twenty books for sale through iTunes, and only one or two of them have ISBNs. It's really true. Looks like their FAQ is just out of date. Here's one example:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id589571886

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aaron Pogue said:
I can absolutely confirm that ISBNs are no longer required for any books published to iTunes through iTunes Producer (which is the only direct way I know of to do it).

I was in the room when the guys at Draft2Digital discovered the change, and got an email from Apple a couple days later officially stating the change (because I signed up for an iTunes Producer account about a year ago).

I have twenty books for sale through iTunes, and only one or two of them have ISBNs. It's really true. Looks like their FAQ is just out of date. Here's one example:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id589571886
Thank you! Very helpful.

·
Registered
642 Posts
None of my books have an isbn, and I have 10+ titles through iTunes producer. Only one of them is free.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts