Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since you're all so knowledgeable with rice cookers and such, I thought I'd ask what you thought about ice cream makers. We have a Rival 5 qt that requires salt and ice so we rarely use it. I've been looking at these two.

The Cuisinart:

But I also own a Kitchen Aid so this one is tempting too. The advantage this one has is it's 2 qts vs. 1.5 qts for the Cuisinart. The disadvantage is that it costs more, my KA is almost 40 years old and I fear its days are numbered, and what happens if I'm making ice cream and I need my KA for something else? Decisions, decisions...

Do you own an ice cream maker? If so, which one? What do you love/hate about it? Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
The cuisinart works great.  I think it's cheaper than the kitchenaid and they both do the same thing.  I've had mine for years and love to make icecream with my grandkids.  It only takes a half hour or so.  I have the Ben and Jerry's cookbook-yummy!!!!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been eyeing that Ben & Jerry's cookbook too. Dangerous...

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I just need to place the Cuisinart in my shopping cart and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I've had the cuisinart for years. It's ok. Personally I don't think it gets the ice cream that frozen, and it's annoying that the freezer bowl has to be pre frozen, so you must plan ahead by having it ready to use and unless you get multiple bowls you are basically limited to 1 batch and it doesn't make that much. My dream is to get one of those electric ones with built in refrigerant. I'm seriously tempted to go back to the regular ice and salt maker, I remember when I was kid my parents would do 4-5 flavors in 1 day in easy rapid succession.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I own this one...

I think I paid $500 for it several years ago, it's now up to $700 :eek:.... I does a fantastic job, and is very easy to clean....

I have the Ben & Jerry's book.... It's fine, but this one is outstanding:

·
Super Moderator
67,250 Posts
This is the only sort of ice cream makers we ever used. . . . .there were a lot of us kids growing up and everyone had to take their turn or they DIDN'T GET ANY. :D

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I have the Cuisinart and have had it for probably 10 years. It is nice and easy to use. I agree that it doesn't freeze it as hard as the kind you buy from the store, but it may if you made it and then stored in the freezer for a bit. As for the bowl, I just store mine in the freezer all of the time so it is frozen and ready to go whenever I want to make some ice cream. I have the Ben and Jerry's book also but haven't made a lot out of it yet. I just looked at mine the other day and thought that I need to pull it out and make some ice cream now that the weather is finally warm in Indiana!  Good luck with your decision....I don't think you'd go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
I own this one...

I think I paid $500 for it several years ago, it's now up to $700 :eek:.... I does a fantastic job, and is very easy to clean....

I have the Ben & Jerry's book.... It's fine, but this one is outstanding:

Thanks for posting those, I added the cookbook to my wishlist and I'm going to do some more research on the machine. Looks very nice.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
This is the only sort of ice cream makers we ever used. . . . .there were a lot of us kids growing up and everyone had to take their turn or they DIDN'T GET ANY. :D

I used one of those back in the day, it was so much fun :)

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:

Right there with you. It always tasted great and was a fun family thing to do.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have the cuisinart one in the freezer right now.  I've never used it, so I can't tell you if I like it.  I also have the ben & jerry's book, that has yummy looking recipes in it, but I haven't prepared any. 

FWIW, I just bought another diet book for the kindle.  I need to stop buying one or the other LOL.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
We have the Cuisinart in the OP, and we've been happy with it. There are only three of us, so it makes more than enough for us, and we just keep the bowl in our chest freezer. The ice cream ends up at a consistency somewhere between store bought and soft serve, but you can put it in the freezer after it's done and let it harden up some more. It comes with a small recipe book, and Walmart has some different flavors of ice cream mixes that work great, just add milk.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
KindleGirl said:
Kindlemom....which one did you end up choosing?
I haven't had time to go shopping. If I can get the one patchymama mentioned at Costco, I'm going to get that one. If not, I'll probably get the smaller Cuisinart. I really don't want to spend $70 on an ice cream maker when I want to get a rice cooker too. :-[

·
Registered
333 Posts
KindleMom said:
I haven't had time to go shopping. If I can get the one patchymama mentioned at Costco, I'm going to get that one. If not, I'll probably get the smaller Cuisinart. I really don't want to spend $70 on an ice cream maker when I want to get a rice cooker too. :-[
I picked up that one at my costco for $49.99 today :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
My ice cream maker is called Beal's Ice Cream. It is one-quarter mile up the road, all the ice cream is homemade and they do a better job than I could any day of the week. And I like patronizing a local business.

There is some statistic out there about how much ice cream Mainers eat...whatever the number is, it's a lot.

L

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just got the Cuisinart in the OP from Amazon this month, along with The Perfect Scoop book. Have only made a basic vanilla so far to try it out and it was pretty good. I keep the bowl in the freezer so it's ready, but may think about getting an extra bowl. Actually, after that first batch, I moved it to a plastic freezer container and the thought about making another batch as the bowl still seemed pretty frozen.

Has anyone made two batches on same frozen bowl?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got the larger Cuisinart the one with the actual compressor so that you don't have to pre freeze anything and can make batch after batch
I love it! Its not cheap (I had a windfall) but is well worth it

1 - 20 of 34 Posts