Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I'm fine. I didn't have any problems at all.

Teninx, Kirstin, others? Check in, please!

L

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Jeff said:
Where are all the New Englanders? Are they alright? Report in with any news please.
Jeff, when I first saw this post I thought maybe you were have an ice storm in your area! We are expected to have ice issues here in NE TX tonight... that is if the forecasts are correct!

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Angela said:
Jeff, when I first saw this post I thought maybe you were have an ice storm in your area! We are expected to have ice issues here in NE TX tonight... that is if the forecasts are correct!
I was mainly concerned about the New Englanders. I know that Teninx has been without power, Ethan's okay, and we've heard from Leslie - nothing from Kirstin.

The temperature's been dropping all day here so now I'll start worrying about you now Angela.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Jeff said:
I was mainly concerned about the New Englanders. I know that Teninx has been without power, Ethan's okay, and we've heard from Leslie - nothing from Kirstin.

The temperature's been dropping all day here so now I'll start worrying about you now Angela.
Thanks, Jeff, but you don't have to worry about me. I was hoping though that we would have had a generator purchased before the real winter weather hit. I am in a rural area and if the ice gets too bad we will lose power. The ground is still too warm for ice to be an issue on the roads, just have to watch out on the bridges and overpasses on the interstate and I don't plan to be out driving around! I am just thankful I am not any further north than I am!

·
Registered
509 Posts
As it stands now, there are appx. 130,000 households in NH without electric power. More are coming back online every hour, but some in rural areas may have to wait until after Christmas for power to be restored. In some cases the tree crews have to hike into the woods to clear fouled wires before the linesmen hike in after them and try to reconnect the whole mess. My sister, who lives in a heavily wooded area on the back roads, does not expect power to be returned this month. She's ok with a big generator, but isn't having much luck finding someone to wire it into her house...hard to find a transfer case within a hundred miles.

Got an email from Kirstin and she is fine. Strangely, some of her apartment has power and some does not....she has hot water but no heat, for example. However, she's OK.

Updates as situation develops.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Teninx said:
As it stands now, there are appx. 130,000 households in NH without electric power. More are coming back online every hour, but some in rural areas may have to wait until after Christmas for power to be restored. In some cases the tree crews have to hike into the woods to clear fouled wires before the linesmen hike in after them and try to reconnect the whole mess. My sister, who lives in a heavily wooded area on the back roads, does not expect power to be returned this month. She's ok with a big generator, but isn't having much luck finding someone to wire it into her house...hard to find a transfer case within a hundred miles.

Got an email from Kirstin and she is fine. Strangely, some of her apartment has power and some does not....she has hot water but no heat, for example. However, she's OK.

Updates as situation develops.
Thanks for the update Teninx. Glad you and the Mrs. are OK and Kirsten, too. We had the same problem after Hurricane Ike in the rural areas because of the trees and will likely have the same if and when the ice hits here this winter. I think now is the time to go generator shopping for our house!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I'm glad everyone is okay, but it can't be easy to be without power in the winter.  Hope you all have generators or wood burning stoves or whatever to generate heat. 

·
Registered
509 Posts
For the past couple years, I've planned to install a standby generator that will instantly provide auxilliary power when the house goes off the grid.  Everyone is dependant upon electricity....our needs are a bit more vital and would certainly warrant the $6,000--$7.000 cost. Of course, buying a new accessible van and replacing worn-out transfer eqipment has postponed the installation but this spring, it's in the budget and will be installed even if I have to raid the IRA to fund it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
gertiekindle said:
I'm glad everyone is okay, but it can't be easy to be without power in the winter. Hope you all have generators or wood burning stoves or whatever to generate heat.
I learned rather late in life to prepare, but I did learn and none too soon. While my neighbors shivered and worried about freezing pipes, I kept the house warm and marginally but sufficiently powered to weather the storm. Of course, if it was just me alone I'd be camped out on a cot at the high school gym shelter eating mac and cheese from the serving line....but having the privilege of caring for Mrs. Ten has brought me kicking and screaming into adult responsibility.

Those two nights in the freezing cold, after Laurie went to sleep, I was wide awake. I had to attend to the generator. I had to monitor the fireplace. I had to insure that the burners on the propane range were still lit. I needed to shut off the space heaters every so often to guard against CO buildup. But I did get a half-hour or so every now and then to stand silently outside on the deck with a nice cigar and reflect upon the importance of self-reliance and wrestle with the consideration of being competent to face challenging times. Odd; but then there was peace.

G

·
Those stories bring back some nightmares for me. We were hit with back to back ice storms in Dec. of 2000 about 2 wks. apart with the electricity out for about a week each time. It was horrible.

We are also getting some nasty freezing stuff right now, which may stay around until Wednesday afternoon. I just hope the power stays on or else I may have to stay here at the hospital.

G

·
Sleet/freezing rain falling tonight in Arkansas.

Not a major issue, except:

1) there is no city infrastructure to deal with snow/ice because it only happens once a year, and

2) the entire state got shut down and devastated by a massive state-wide ice storm back in 2000 that has left a permanent scar on the psyche of every native.

Now Little Rock goes crazy at the first half-hour of sleet, convinced that they will be stuck at home jobless and without electricity for a week or two.  There is a mad run on grocery and liquor stores.

It was a looooooong night. ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts