Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kindling - a collection of short stories
A collection of twelve tales by award winning short story author Stephen Livingston. Written in a wide range of styles and covering a variety of themes.
Contents:
1. Choose Your Future - Winner of the Canongate Prize for New Writing, published in the anthology "Scotland into the New Era".
2. Recycling - First published in the anthology "Scores 4" by the University of St. Andrews, Department of English.
3. The Waster's Tale - Winner of the EndPapers Tales Series Prize, first published in the anthology "Glasgow Tales".
4. The Wheel of Justice - Hilarious dark humour set on a near future TV game show in the U.S.
5. She Won't Call - A snapshot of student life.
6. A Cataract of Breaking Glass - A sad tale of love and loss.
7. Come Dancing - One page sketch combining sex and music.
8. The Farmer's Right Arm - Modern technology meets faith on the farm.
9. Jaipur Gems - A tourist meets the gangsters of the gemstone business in India.
10. The Adventures of Freddie the Moth - A tale of metamorphosis.
11. Work Abroad - Hopes of a new future aren't always what they seem.
12. The Tell-Tale Trunk - Contemporary reworking of Edgar Allan Poe's classic "The Tell-Tale Heart".

·
Registered
261 Posts
I wouldn't really classify this as a blurb.  A blurb is selling the book to the reader, enticing them to read it.  As a reader, I don't really care if a short story has won some contest that I've never heard of. I care what it's about...what is so exciting about it that I should plunk down money to buy it?

The descriptions you do give really don't describe much:

They all could use some work, but these in particular show a lack of description:

5. She Won't Call - A snapshot of student life.  (I know it's probably about a college student, that's it.)
6. A Cataract of Breaking Glass - A sad tale of love and loss.  (Someone falls in love and someone dies?  Not enticing me.)
7. Come Dancing - One page sketch combining sex and music.  (Okay, this might entice someone who is interested anytime they hear the word "sex".  Other than that...no.)
10. The Adventures of Freddie the Moth - A tale of metamorphosis.  (Sounds like a very vague children's story.)

Remember, this is the reader's introduction to your writing talent.  A seven word sentence won't cut it.  I know blurbs suck--they're hard.  And you've got it even worse, because you have to come up with 12 blurbs, and make them super-short and snappy to fit them all it without boring the reader by number 12!  You can be an awesome writer and still suck at writing a blurb.  And it's easier to fix someone else's blurb than write your own!  At least it is for me.  ;D

·
Registered
766 Posts
Table of contents is not a blurb,in my opinion.

Try to create a paragraph that gives a sample of the range, you know, i.e. The stories span unicorns on Prozac and thong wearing dwarves to princesses seeking sex change operations.

M

·
Registered
67 Posts
I kind of agree with the other comments, but at the same time, I've seen this 'break-down' format work with other short-story collections. Maybe just a few lines at the beginning about some shared themes? Expanding the individual summaries, if only by a sentence, would probably help as well.

Also, I would eliminate the information in the first three about publication and give us a brief summary there.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
The list method only works if you have a few titles in the collection.  Like, three.  Otherwise it turns into reading the book rather than shopping for one.

I will throw in my two cents with what others have said already.  Present a range in the description.  "From sad tales about love and loss to snapshots of college life, this collection will have something for everyone."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts