Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up a database for Little Gerties books, but I'd like to add a "folders" field.  I'm not sure how I want to sort the books.  Of course, I can do it by author and title, but I'm looking for something more definitive. 

If Amazon gives us folders, how would you label your folders?  How would you decide which books went in which folder?

·
Registered
731 Posts
First off, I'd call them "Shelves" and fill them by genre, sorted by author. I do think a shelf for samples would be needed in my new bookcase ;D . The top shelf would be my TBR pile. And it would look something like this :

but less organized.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Those are all great ideas! I'd like to be able to file away the books I've already read.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Vegas_Asian said:
It would be cool if they let us sort our books by length....I would read the shortest to the longest in order.
But wouldn't that be problematic? As you keep adding books of different lengths the long ones are always the bridesmaids!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
1. Folder by category
          sci fi, mystery, business, current events, etc.
2. Sub folder by further category, if needed.
          sci fi/time travel
            sci fi/fantasy
            business/investing
            business/biographies
3. sub sub folders "read/not read"
4. Perhaps further classification of read books into great, OK, not so good

This would be set up to handle a large book collection, perhaps into the thousands. it would be too cumbersome if you were having only a few dozen books.

G

·
I'm not that organized.  I'd just like to have my books sorted by author.  If the author has more than one series out like Jim Butcher does or Charlaine Harris does, then sub folders for each series.  Then maybe a separate folder for all  of their stand alone books.

I do like that once I got my SD card installed, I could move all of the stuff I read to it and then change my kindle display to show only what was in the Kindle memory and not display what is on the SD card.

Anything marked 'Sample" should go to a "Samples" folder automatically.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I think I'd keep it very simple:

samples
free books (I download the freebies that are offered, but I am not sure I'll ever read them)
purchased books: TBR
purchased books: in process
purchased books: finished

L

·
Super Moderator
67,326 Posts
I too would keep it simple, but slightly different from Leslie. I'd like a dedicated folder for:

samples
things I send me
reference
non fiction
paid for fiction
free fiction

As I get more books, there may need to be more divisions but this would do for now. Samples is obvious. Things I Send Me is documents I send that are work related; maybe better to call it Work Related. Reference is obvious; Non Fiction is obvious. I'd divide Fiction into paid for and free because, off the top of my head, it seems like a good indication of whether I am pretty sure I want to read the book, or I just got it free and thought I'd try it out.

Oh, and Periodicals would be another category. I don't see a need to sort by what I'm currently reading or haven't started as I have the dots to tell me that. And books I've finished I send back to Amazon.

Ann

G

·
I would like to be able to have a folder for free stuff downloaded from places other than Amazon. I am always afraid I am going to delete something that will then disappear from the free site. I suppose I could get a SD card and move those things. Hmmmmm, too bad I forgot to tell Santa that is what I wanted.

It would also be nice to have a sample folder with divisions for unread, read-maybe buy, and read-definite buy.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I would love folder as well. For things like series Sampler, Genre, Author, Series, Title, Person Doc, Freebies(from places other then Amazon).  I would like to cut the number of page on have on my home page. I now have over 35 page, A lot of them are Sampler. Just having a folder for sampler would go a long way.

·
Registered
220 Posts
No folders please. Folders were always clunky and limited technology based on people's thinking still being stuck in last century DT filing systems. Folders with extensive sub-folders have too much space and processor overhead on a handheld device.

Instead they should do something truly useful like labels or tags using in gmail. Where any book can have multiple labels that can be searched for alone or in combination and sorted as needed.

Using a simple example imagine I have several books. One is a mystery set in Victorian times. Another is classic literary novel from that period.

I can label each one Victorian but also label the mystery as mysteries and the other as Classic Literature. So doing that across many books I can go to any set in Victorian time (if I'm on a period kick) or if I'm just looking for mysteries I'll still see the mystery or just look for literature I'll see the literature. But if I want specifically a Victorian Mystery I can see the first book directly.

Way, way better than folders - especially for books across different genres or reader interests.

----------------
Listening to: Ernest Tubb - You Nearly Lose Your Mind
via FoxyTunes

·
Registered
364 Posts
mwb said:
No folders please. Folders were always clunky and limited technology based on people's thinking still being stuck in last century DT filing systems. Folders with extensive sub-folders have too much space and processor overhead on a handheld device.

Instead they should do something truly useful like labels or tags using in gmail. Where any book can have multiple labels that can be searched for alone or in combination and sorted as needed.

Using a simple example imagine I have several books. One is a mystery set in Victorian times. Another is classic literary novel from that period.

I can label each one Victorian but also label the mystery as mysteries and the other as Classic Literature. So doing that across many books I can go to any set in Victorian time (if I'm on a period kick) or if I'm just looking for mysteries I'll still see the mystery or just look for literature I'll see the literature. But if I want specifically a Victorian Mystery I can see the first book directly.

Way, way better than folders - especially for books across different genres or reader interests.

----------------
Listening to: Ernest Tubb - You Nearly Lose Your Mind
via FoxyTunes
I never even thought about that, it does seem like a better option.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Geez, at this point I'd settle for ANY kind of organization that let me separate by genre, urgency, or even by drive (SD vs. regular Kindle memory).

·
Registered
364 Posts
auntmarge said:
Geez, at this point I'd settle for ANY kind of organization that let me separate by genre, urgency, or even by drive (SD vs. regular Kindle memory).
I agree, It hard sometime look through page after page to find a book I want to read.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts