Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Review of New Moon, by Stephanie Meyer

I just received my new copy of New Moon by Stephanie Meyer, the second book in the Twilight series, and I have to say I'm disappointed. I hate to write a negative review, but the people deserve to know how much publisher "Little, Brown Young Readers" is exploiting readers!

First of all I was extremely disappointed at the lack of backlit pages. I can't even read it in bed without waking up my wife. Even if it did have a backlight, I still couldn't read in bed as the page-turning sounds are far too loud. Thanks a lot LBYR -- this is 2009! Surely we have the technology now; you're just cheaping out.

Additionally, the book is highly deceptive in that while the cover is full color, the actual pages themselves are all black and white. Think how beautiful the book could be with some hand-drawn, COLOR pictures!

Don't even get me started on the size of the pages. They're too darn small! I should be able to read for AT LEAST fifteen minutes without having to turn a page, but LBYR has decided once again to CHEAP OUT with production costs.

Did I mention the book is only available in one color? This is ridiculous. I specifically select all my other gadgets to be color-coordinated with my home décor and my wife, and this is simply unacceptable.

Even worse is that in the long term the book would become completely unreadable as the pages are not user-replaceable! It seems if any fall out in the first year I can return the book for a new copy, but what about 10, 15, 20 years down the road? If I'm spending $11 on something I expect it to last!

On that note: $11 for a book in today's economy? How do they expect people to afford this? This is a clear example of price-gouging; after all, the cost to manufacture it can't be more than five or six cents, so why the huge price? WELL, LBYR?

There's also the issue of the Digital Rights Marauding (DRM) included mandatorily with the book. Since I bought the book it should belong to me, and the DRM won't even let me copy the text into a friend's book! This is a clear violation of my rights as a consumer, and we should all boycott LBYR until they see the light.

My mother-in-law's third cousin twice removed (adopted) bought this book from LBYR several months ago, and accidentally dropped it only TWO INCHES into a mud puddle. He called LBYR, fully expecting a refund (or at least a free replacement) but they told him no! I realize there is falling damage here, but look at two inches on a ruler -- it's tiny! Yet another example of LBYR exploiting their customers.

Some more bad points:
  • No user-installable programs (I just want a simple stock ticker!)
  • No PDF support (in this day and age!)
  • No case included -- this is a big one! Expect to shell out an additional $30 on top of the cost of the book itself!

All in all, LBYR has clearly demonstrated that they're only in it to make money. I haven't even read the book and I can already plainly see that its only purpose is to steal money away from today's hard-working citizens. DO NOT BUY!

Rating: 1/5 stars

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
And papercuts!? How could neither of you mention the possibility of paper cuts? That is a HUGE liability for LBYR, and they don't even address it. I can't even find a customer service number to call.

Also, I've heard that not only can you not replace pages, you can't add external memory to add pages, either. But it's over my [self-imposed, not necessarily based on reasonable expectations] limit of $4.59, so I won't be buying it anyway.

(everybody gets that this is a joke, right? right?)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
:)
Very nice! Greetings and Welcome, analysis! Great first post. You have obviously been around the Kindle for a while. If you would go to Introductions and welcomes, we would love to learn more about you and your Kindle experience. Glad to have you here at Kindle boards.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I thought something wasn't sounding right, but I have to admit, I just wasn't getting it.  The first thing that threw me was the thing about reading a page for at least 15 minutes-----I was like "What is he talking about".  I guess I'm just not on top of it this morning.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
kevin63 said:
I thought something wasn't sounding right, but I have to admit, I just wasn't getting it. The first thing that threw me was the thing about reading a page for at least 15 minutes-----I was like "What is he talking about". I guess I'm just not on top of it this morning.
LOL. I had to read it a couple of times myself. At first I thought we were being invaded by you-know-who. Then I finally caught the sarcasm.
deb

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hi Analysis, welcome. That was a great first post and gave me a good chuckle. Thanks!

L

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the positive feedback!  I thought about introducing myself, but that always seemed a bit pretentious to me.  :-X  I'm really not that important!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
analysis said:
Thanks for the positive feedback! I thought about introducing myself, but that always seemed a bit pretentious to me. :-X I'm really not that important!
Well, you have a sense of humor and that goes a long way around this joint. Welcome!

L

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
On here, everyone is important.  You'll find a very supportive community that cares about more than just Kindle related items. 
Welcome.
deb

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
drenee said:
On here, everyone is important. You'll find a very supportive community that cares about more than just Kindle related items.
I'd already noticed this from months of lurking -- else I wouldn't've opened my mouth in the first place. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
This was great. It reminded me of one of my favorite threads on the Amazon communities page, about why I hate my Kindle...
1. It does not make me coffee
2. It does not do windows
and the list goes on and on, perfect for a Friday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Marguerite said:
welcome to the jungle. What back light? Is there one on the K2/
E-ink is opaque, so it's not possible to backlight; and more to the point, it'd be undesirable anyway because you'd instantly lose one of the primary benefits of Kindling, that being lack of eyestrain. It sure doesn't stop people from complaining about the "lack" in product reviews, though! :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts