Kindle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't get a Kindle for Christmas, so I'm in limbo wondering whether to purchase one now and wait....or wait for whenever Kindle 2.0 comes out, not even being sure if I'll like Kindle 2.0!

So, if I order a Kindle on Amazon today, when will my account actually be charged....on the ship date?

I'd like to leave my options open and would appreciate any suggestions or tips.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
There's no guaranty that V 2 is going to be better.  I think this version is pretty great the way it is.  And there's no guaranty as to when V2 is going to be released.  If you wait for V2, you may be waiting a long time, and then maybe not like it as well. 

It's up to you, but I'm really happy with the one I've got, and if V 2 comes out, I won't be trading in Little Gertie. 

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
gertiekindle said:
There's no guaranty that V 2 is going to be better. I think this version is pretty great the way it is. And there's no guaranty as to when V2 is going to be released. If you wait for V2, you may be waiting a long time, and then maybe not like it as well.

It's up to you, but I'm really happy with the one I've got, and if V 2 comes out, I won't be trading in Little Gertie.
Yep, what she said...the only thing that I'd love to have is "organization" :))

·
Registered
325 Posts
As far as I'm aware, it's illegal in most cases for a mail order/online retailer to charge you for a product before it ships.

Your other option is to see if you can get a refurbished Kindle. When they're available, they're shipped right away. There's an e-mail alert sign-up linked at the top of the page for refurbs.

I doubt Kindle v. 2.0 will be released until much later in the year. Amazon won't say, so it's all speculation.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
chynared21 said:
Yep, what she said...the only thing that I'd love to have is "organization" :))
I know it must be hard to explain, but I have heard of the desire by many for folders or organization in Kindle 2. Right now, how do you browse your many Kindle books.....just by scrolling by page to page in alpha order or are there different methods, searching for example? Thanks.

BTW, I am on e-mail alert, but haven't caught a refurb in time. Late this afternoon I saw the refurb alert on the top of this board, clicked on it, and it was gone already on Amazon. I've got a lot of DTBs to catch up on, but I'm still quite anxious for Kindle.

·
Registered
679 Posts
You can sort the books by most recent, author or title...

Folders to actually organize would be great!

I sort mine by recent and just went through and "opened" a bunch of books i haven;t read yet to get them back on the main page (since the ones I had recently finsihed were showing there instead).

I

·
0 Posts
This was posted a while back in Tips and Tricks. 

If you have your Kindle sorted by author. Press a letter cooresponding to the authors name will bring up the page with their name on it.  Example if I press "V", the home page will go to the one with books by Carry Vaughn on it.

If the books are sorted by Title, hitting a letter will bring up books with the corresponding name.  Example; If I hit 'S' I'd find my book Storm Front and all other "s" books.

(I hope I explained that right)

It's not folders but it's very handy if you want to find a book or author fast.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I tend to keep my sorted by title and use the letter tip Vampyre mentioned to go to a specific book.  I delete books I've read.  When I want to pick a new book, I kinda browse through till one appeals to me.

A feature I would love is a "look up on Amazon" feature for the books, so that if I can't remember about a specific title, I could click and it would take me to the synopsis on Amazon.

Betsy

·
Registered
260 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I tend to keep my sorted by title and use the letter tip Vampyre mentioned to go to a specific book. I delete books I've read. When I want to pick a new book, I kinda browse through till one appeals to me.

A feature I would love is a "look up on Amazon" feature for the books, so that if I can't remember about a specific title, I could click and it would take me to the synopsis on Amazon.

Betsy
Yes! I would love a "look up on Amazon" feature, too. As it is, I have to go to my computer to check what the book's about.

Also, if you sort by author's name, some books will be sorted by first name and some by last name. Has anyone figured out a way to fix this problem? Sorry if this question has already been answered. If so, please just direct me to the thread. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
One bonus of not having whispernet is having to have books downloaded to the computer, you can sort away to your hearts content!  And don't have to worry about deleting off of your kindle.  ::)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wannabe said:
Yes! I would love a "look up on Amazon" feature, too. As it is, I have to go to my computer to check what the book's about.
Thanks everyone. This gave me a very good idea of the type of organization on the current Kindle. I'm curious about the quote above. Doesn't the Kindle store you browse on Whispernet give you a synopsis of the book or only a sample chapter?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
libro said:
Thanks everyone. This gave me a very good idea of the type of organization on the current Kindle. I'm curious about the quote above. Doesn't the Kindle store you browse on Whispernet give you a synopsis of the book or only a sample chapter?
The Kindle store gives you the synopsis. You can also read customer reviews. And download a sample.

L

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
libro said:
Leslie -- Thanks. Sounds very "1-Click" dangerous to me!
It is!!!

What I meant about organization...pretty much what others have suggested already but I would like to be able to sort by genre as well. I'd also like a "folder" strictly for samples or rather have that as an option like the title and author options that we have now. Lots of times I can't remember a name of a book or an author, etc. so at times the current sorting feature we have doesn't always work for me :p

That said, even if we never got our much wished for folders...Kindle is still the way to go :)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I don't think that folders is a reason to wait for version 2.  If/when we get them, I think that will be a software upgrade not a hardware upgrade. 

1 - 19 of 19 Posts