Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to an author's note in the back of the latest of Piers Anthony's Incarnations book, he has a bunch of books that he can't convince a publisher to publish.  This amazes me with the ease of self-publishing, so I'm asking customers...

If one of your favorite authors self-published a dozen of their 'slush pile' books, would you pick up a copy?

Trish Lamoree
(though it appears through his website that Piers Anthony is researching and possibly considering self-publishing)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
The "normal" Piers Anthony books are an acquired taste, to me. I am sure that he has some books that he could not sell to the publishers. He would find a market for self publised books, I'd probably try them.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
The Kindle makes trying out a sample very easy.  So if my favorite author self-published I would at least try a sample.
deb

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Anthony's Xanth series was the first fantasy series I started reading.  I made it through about 5 or 6 before it became repetitive, but recently, I dug out the first one to read again b/c I remember how much I loved it!  So yes, I would try his self-published books, as well as those of any other favorite author.

N :)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
vwkitten said:
According to an author's note in the back of the latest of Piers Anthony's Incarnations book, he has a bunch of books that he can't convince a publisher to publish. This amazes me with the ease of self-publishing, so I'm asking customers...

If one of your favorite authors self-published a dozen of their 'slush pile' books, would you pick up a copy?

Trish Lamoree
(though it appears through his website that Piers Anthony is researching and possibly considering self-publishing)
I sure would!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Piers Anthony (PA) is one of my all time favorites.

I would buy most of his already published work in e-book form to revisit it after so many years.

I find his erotica and his Letters to Jenny series to be just plain disturbing so I would not spend good money on that - again.  (NB. I do not find erotica disturbing, just PA's).

So, if he has work that the publishers will not publish then I would sample it before purchasing just in case the publishers have a good reason for not touching it.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I definitely would. I think that in many cases self published books have a variety and creativity that's been edited out of conventionally published books. Not all self published books are well written and some could use more editing. But in the case of an author I've already read and liked I'd have no problem at all. In fact, I don't have a problem with self-published books in general. And then there's the fact that publishers don't always know what the public will like. I think we've all heard of books that were rejected again and again, and then they became best sellers after someone finally took a chance on them. With the ease of self publishing and book sampling, I feel that I can decide whether or not to buy a book easily enough and if I like it, I don't worry about how it was published.

Linda,
author, Night Camp

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Well, I haven't read any Piers Anthony, so that particular case doesn't apply, but in general, I probably would try to get my hands on anything my favorite authors had written. One case in point that I can think of is Stephenie Meyer's Midnight Sun manuscript that she has posted on her website. Tons of fans have downloaded that, and it's not even complete. I just read J.A. Konrath's Origin, because it interested me a bit more than his actually published works, and I wasn't let down. It was a great story and a reasonably well-edited ebook, and I'm honestly puzzled as to why he couldn't find a publisher for it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If one of my favorite authors self-published I would most definitely buy it (assuming they priced it reasonably) on Kindle. I will often try books of authors I enjoy even knowing nothing about the book I am buying.

EllenR

·
Registered
167 Posts
Definitely. I don't judge a book based on what a publisher thinks....I judge books based on talent and creativity and what the author has to say.

I wish I could remember this author's name...I know it was a male. But he submitted his own already published (bestseller) novel to many publishers under a fake name to see what responses he got. He was rejected like 80 times.

Just goes to show that many times (not all the time) agents, editors, publishers either don't look at manuscripts they receive, or they don't know what sells.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I'm surprised Anthony hasn't gone the POD route with some of his work. He's been a huge proponent of it from the beginning. He could form his own publication company and get them out into the market. He's got an audience; he would have the sales.

How a book gets into the market doesn't matter to me; only that the story is good and worth my money and the time it takes to read it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know that Piers Anthony has been studying self-publishing... his website is at: www.hipiers.com if anyone wants to take a look.  He also has a list of publishers and what he thinks of them from his experience with them.

Trish Lamoree

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
vwkitten said:
I know that Piers Anthony has been studying self-publishing... his website is at: www.hipiers.com if anyone wants to take a look. He also has a list of publishers and what he thinks of them from his experience with them.

Trish Lamoree
His list of publishers is a very good resource. Thanks for posting the link, Trish.

L

·
Registered
463 Posts
I probably would, but only if I don't have to re-read the ones I already have first (since with 47 books, only a tiny slice of output, to be sure, it would take me too long to catch up). Especially since I have to go re-read LOTR and "Tha Hobbit" first (just as soon as it is spelled correctly).

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I probably would, though I haven't read any of his stuff in years.  At one time he was one of my favorite authors and I bought and read everything he put out.  His Xanth series got a little drawn out and I kind of out grew it and he dropped off my radar.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think like many out here I would buy any self-published book if it was good. I love the Incarnations series by Anthony. I have also read quite a bit of the Xanth "trilogy" and I would buy his books if they were self-published and GOOD.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yes! I would buy anything put out by my favorite authors, as long as it was reasonably priced. I might stop buying it all if they started sucking, buy getting published doesn't keep that from happening either!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Rhiathame (member 2790) said:
I think like many out here I would buy any self-published book if it was good. I love the Incarnations series by Anthony. I have also read quite a bit of the Xanth "trilogy" and I would buy his books if they were self-published and GOOD.
Ditto. In the specific case of Anthony, his more recent books do absolutely nothing for me, so it's unlikely I'd be picking up those. Reread the first 6 Incarnations books in DTB just before my K2 arrived, and I'll be happy to replicate them onto the Kindle at some point this year.

I'm not overly concerned with whether a book is self published or brought out by a publishing house with many years behind it--if it's well written & priced within the normal range, I'll read it. And conversely I don't care if it's free, if it's badly written, I'm not wasting my time on it!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Rhiathame (member 2790) said:
Yes, his was the first trilogy I really followed that went well over three books. Now they are common, although some people get confused when the fourth title in a "trilogy" is released; I blame the publishers, as they are often the ones that tell an author up front how many books his series will have (then again, I've seen self-published authors that come out with the first of a planned quatrilogy (a series of four trilogies), an ambitious undertaking (especially so when you have no audience to build upon and announce up front that the story has eleven more volumes).

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
vwkitten said:
Not only would I, I did. John Stith self-published almost all of his back-list here on Amazon, and I purchased all of them.

I wouldn't do the same for Piers Anthony, although there might very well be one or two that I'd get.

Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts