Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what we wanted to be when we were in high school. I had no idea, and almost got steered towards a career in the police force when a high-school recruiter got exasperated with my teenage attitude and lack of direction. How many teens do know what they want to do when they leave school/college? If you knew then what you do now, what career path would you have chosen? I think I'd have enjoyed a career in forensics instead of finance.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I wanted to be a high school guidance counselor, because they were so horrible at my high school.  Started that path at college, but got married early, and finally got a degree in Business 7 years later.  Spent 20 yrs in business, and didn't much like a single minute of it.  Wish I had stayed with my original desire.  Still sounds attractive to me.

·
Registered
556 Posts
In highschool I had my dreams set on film making. It's still something I'd love to do, but it's highly unlikely that I'll ever get into it. :(

·
Registered
604 Posts
If I knew then what I know now I'd have sunk as much as I could into stock, Wal-Mart, Apple, Microsoft.  Then by now I could do whatever I wanted too, although all that money would have probably corrupted me completely by now.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I actually knew I wanted to write for a living in the 3rd grade.  I got side tracked by getting involved in radio in college and then spent 8 loooooonnnnng  years in human resources.  But now, I feel like I am back where I was always meant to be.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
I think I would have pursued a career in medicine - heart surgery perhaps.
When I was in high-school I was already immersed in Nuclear Physics - working on ion-drive propulsion systems with NASA.  And when I realized that I did not want to spend 30 years on a project before completion.  I need gratification sooner than that.  So I went into data-communications because I was already using computers for the Physics stuff (yes stuff is a techinical word).
But now I would love to be helping people and would love to face the challenge of constantly learning new techniques and following research in medicine to apply to helping my patients.

But that was then and this is now.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Oh, I knew. I knew I wanted to do nothing but write books. It was not something I could get away with though. I honestly don't know what I'd do differently, if given a chance.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I always loved office work, organizing, stuff like that, and that's what I did for 40 years as an Assistant to the Plant Manager of a large manufacturing company, and I did love it.  But my true dream job was to be an interpreter of a foreign language.  I still wish I had gotten an education and pursued that.

·
Registered
12,230 Posts
I have moments when I wonder if I should have gone with the veterinarian idea. In addition to writing, of course. I've always loved being around animals but I'm not sure I'm tough enough to handle the patients that don't make it, you know? That's what decided me against it, in the end.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The only thing I knew in high school was that I didn't want to be a high school teacher.

Three guesses what I'm doing now.  ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I Originally wanted to be an animator and actually started down that path with art school but decided pretty quickly that while I'm artsy and crafty art school at a traditional university was not for me so I dropped out for a year and went back to school to be a respiratory therapist. While I did enjoy my 10+ years as an RT I don't think I'll go back. I love helping people and the problem solving involved in healthcare but I'm full up with the hospital hours.

I'm seriously considering going back to school. The choice now is between physician's assistant or environmental health/environmental engineer. Totally different fields but I think both of them would be very satisfying to me in this stage of my life. I've long discovered that while I have a real need to be creative I need to do it for myself and not as a career. Once it becomes work it looses all it's appeal. Now if only my kids would still wear what I sew and not insist so much on logo t shirts. Oh well, I'm moving on to my own wardrobe. lol

So yea, if I had figured that out in Highschool things would have been much easier. Or at least more gratifying and not so much "work"

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I knew what I wanted but was told it was no way to make a living by my mother. I am just getting my lit and English degree sheltpt doesn't know it

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
764 Posts
I wanted to graduate!  Seriously, I didn't think about it as much as I should have but we didn't have a program and staff that pushed us as much as they could (small Christian school more focused on us finding Jesus than finding a high paying career). 

I fiddled around in college (studied film, got a degree in classical french cooking) but pretty much wasted money that should have gone towards something more substantial.

If I could go back in time, I'd tell myself to go to college immediately and study law.  I am a real estate agent and all the legal documentation is my favorite part of the job.  If I didn't have so much debt from culinary school, I'd be going back for a degree in real estate law. 

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
JFHilborne said:
what we wanted to be when we were in high school. I had no idea, and almost got steered towards a career in the police force when a high-school recruiter got exasperated with my teenage attitude and lack of direction. How many teens do know what they want to do when they leave school/college? If you knew then what you do now, what career path would you have chosen? I think I'd have enjoyed a career in forensics instead of finance.
By the time I was 14 I knew I wanted to be a writer. I probably should've gone to college for journalism or something like that but instead I got a job as a security guard. I would've been so much more financially secure if I had just attended college for some dull writing job and then wrote creatively on the side... But, all's well that ends well I suppose.

Dawn

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If I knew then what I know now, I would have probably gone for a golf career. I played while in junior high and high school, but didn't pursue it in college.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Brem said:
In highschool I had my dreams set on film making. It's still something I'd love to do, but it's highly unlikely that I'll ever get into it. :(
I also wanted to go into film making -- editing to be more specific. I studied in the Midwest for 3 years, then realized that I didn't want to move out to LA, where the most lucrative jobs are. All my professors praised my writing efforts, so I changed to English Lit.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My sister was a nun, in the same order as my teachers.  She died when I was a sophomore.  The nuns decided I would follow in her footsteps.  Ummm... no.

My only goal was to get out of high school not wearing a habit.  =)

If I had it to do over, I'd do the same things.  Wouldn't be who I am, or have the kids and grandkids I have, if I'd done things differently, but I think I would have a little talk with myself about taking on the responsibilities of the world.

Sheila

1 - 20 of 25 Posts