Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazon sent out a notice today.  I have no intention of telling anyone how to vote.  Just please be mindful of what you do and don't vote for.  Your vote can affect a lot of people.  Here's the letter:

Hello,
For well over a decade, the Amazon Associates Program has worked with thousands of California residents. Unfortunately, a potential new law that may be signed by Governor Brown compels us to terminate this program for California-based participants. It specifically imposes the collection of taxes from consumers on sales by online retailers - including but not limited to those referred by California-based marketing affiliates like you - even if those retailers have no physical presence in the state.
We oppose this bill because it is unconstitutional and counterproductive. It is supported by big-box retailers, most of which are based outside California, that seek to harm the affiliate advertising programs of their competitors. Similar legislation in other states has led to job and income losses, and little, if any, new tax revenue. We deeply regret that we must take this action.
As a result, we will terminate contracts with all California residents that are participants in the Amazon Associates Program as of the date (if any) that the California law becomes effective. We will send a follow-up notice to you confirming the termination date if the California law is enacted. In the event that the California law does not become effective before September 30, 2011, we withdraw this notice. As of the termination date, California residents will no longer receive advertising fees for sales referred to Amazon.com , Endless.com , MYHABIT.COM or SmallParts.com . Please be assured that all qualifying advertising fees earned on or before the termination date will be processed and paid in full in accordance with the regular payment schedule.
You are receiving this email because our records indicate that you are a resident of California. If you are not currently a resident of California, or if you are relocating to another state in the near future, you can manage the details of your Associates account here . And if you relocate to another state in the near future please contact us for reinstatement into the Amazon Associates Program.
To avoid confusion, we would like to clarify that this development will only impact our ability to offer the Associates Program to California residents and will not affect their ability to purchase from Amazon.com , Endless.com , MYHABIT.COM or SmallParts.com .
We have enjoyed working with you and other California-based participants in the Amazon Associates Program and, if this situation is rectified, would very much welcome the opportunity to re-open our Associates Program to California residents. We are also working on alternative ways to help California residents monetize their websites and we will be sure to contact you when these become available.
Regards,
The Amazon Associates Team

·
Registered
421 Posts
Can someone explain to me how the proposed CA taxes necessitate Amazon canceling CA associates' receiving advertising fees on sales?  If the taxes apply to all CA sales, why are only the CA associates being hit?  And won't the buyers be paying the sales tax? Or is this a ploy by Amazon to get this voted down? 

·
Registered
14 Posts
Right after I read this, I checked my email and saw I'd received this letter. Dang. Not that my AA store has earned me enough to buy even a latte, but I love my collection of books and satisfies some alter ego desire to be a bookstore owner. I had hopes that I might be able to promote it better and make enough to buy more books.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Cuechick said:
I wonder if this new law would effect eBay sellers too?
Yes, Under AB 153, the following conditions must be met:

(5) (A) Any retailer entering into an agreement or agreements
under which a person or persons in this state, for a commission or
other consideration, directly or indirectly refer potential
purchasers of tangible personal property to the retailer, whether by
an Internet-based link or an Internet Web site, or otherwise,
provided that both of the following conditions are met:
(i) The total cumulative sales price from all of the retailer's
sales, within the preceding 12 months, of tangible personal property
to purchasers in this state that are referred pursuant to all of
those agreements with a person or persons in this state, is in excess
of ten thousand dollars ($10,000).
(ii) The retailer, within the preceding 12 months, has total
cumulative sales of tangible personal property to purchasers in this
state in excess of five hundred thousand dollars ($500,000).

So if you are just trying to clean out your garage, no problem. If you have sales over $10k, then better check the legalese. (Sorry, I am not proficient in that language. ;D )

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Amazon is going to run out of states in which it can have Associates. I think it will eventually have to give in and collect sales tax.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
R. Reed said:
Amazon is going to run out of states in which it can have Associates. I think it will eventually have to give in and collect sales tax.
Sooner or later all states with sales tax will require sellers to collect taxes on all ships, services, or goods bought or sold in the state. Amazon is going to end up peeing into the wind on this one. Of course, I live in Washington and I already have to pay sales tax on all my orders. I'm not sure about associates.

·
Registered
9,660 Posts
I believe that even Amazon has said that they believe that internet sales taxes should be resolved on a national basis, not state-by-state. Of course, it is entirely possible they say this with the idea that they are pretty sure such a national law won't pass in our current political environment (and maybe not ever).

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2015116166_amazon22m.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts