Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all.
If you could change anything at all about the Kindle, what would you change?
Price, Screen Size, Battery Life, SD slot, Nothing?
The only rule is you can only pick one.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I would add native PDF functionality, without question. And I'm talking about graphics rich files as well. The type of PDF functionality that will be included in the DX.

EDIT- I have converted one graphics rich 3 page PDF with PDFread and had very good success, following unrequited's helpful instructions here: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,4751.0.html

·
Registered
257 Posts
Availability in more countries!

It'll happen sooner or later, I'm sure - and I'm not even going to go into the potential reasons why the Kindle isn't available elsewhere yet - but I really think now is the time for Amazon to lead the eBook industry on a global scale. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a supporter of mega-corporations assimilating everyone else. But right now, eBooks and their multitude of formats are an absolute mess. They're also not particularly popular, at least outside of the USA where the Kindle isn't available. eBooks offer a cheaper, greener, more convenient way to enjoy books. It might as well be Amazon and the Kindle leading the pack globally, since they seem to have done everything right so far. Well, mostly. Can't really help thinking about the number of books pulled, and the big text-to-speech K2 feature fiasco. But mostly, things are smooth.

I still think they need to scrap DRM, though. Looks like eBooks are going to go through the exact same phases as digital music has. Funny that eBook retailers haven't taken that in their stride. They will, though. In time. When everyone's purchasing eBooks and kicking up a fuss about the limitations of DRM and why it's harming rather than helping, and what happens when the retailers disappear, and yada yada. Fun times ahead.

Though, it's gonna happen at a much slower pace than with music. I'd guess the general masses listen to music much more frequently than they read. None of my friends read much. Sad, isn't it?

Anyway, other than the availability restrictions of the Kindle, I'd say the UI could get a bit of a makeover. Maybe Amazon could get some tips from Apple. It's not bad, probably the best there is in an eBook reader, but the way we interact with a device is paramount to its success. So, smoother moving through menus, better ways to organise content (folders, etc), generally being more intuitive. There's always room for improvement.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would wish for Folders.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Native, searchable, highlightable, zoomable .pdf on all of them, not just the DX which may not even be everything I listed.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Folders or some other organizational method other than dumping everything in one bucket.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
An optional password screen lock.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'd like to amend my entry support what Red added here about some form of password lock. One thing I thought about the DX is that it's basically being marketed as a student version, which means that if more students use them they'll be more susceptible to theft. To not have at least a rudimentary form of password control almost seems negligent in a classroom environment.
In a distant third I'd like to have folders and like ProfCrash said, I sensible personal organization standard would be nice.

·
Registered
116 Posts
- Better organization of titles vs. one bucket.  Folders is certainly one possibility.
- Read / unread markup option from the item selection sub-menu.  (when you select an item in the content list.)
- Ability to edit information (esp. title / author) on the Kindle.
- Ability to order Kindle with a custom color (at an extra charge of course.)
- Do not automatically highlight the Buy option when selecting a title from the Kindle Store.  It is way too easy to make an inadvertent purchase.

- Walter.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Even though everyone says it can't be done.... still I'd like to have an option for the screen to light up in the dark.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts