Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you find the time to write?

My girls are five, three, and one. Right now I'm writing at naptime and during the rare short stretches when the kids are actually content to play by themselves. Oh, and I get up an hour and half before they wake up in the morning They get up at 5:30am. I'll let you do the math.  :eek:

Currently my one year old is sleeping on my right hand while I type out a scene with my left (finger by finger...)

Anyone else have to get creative with their writing time?  :)

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I have a unique position that allows me to write while I'm at work. My job is dispatching, and we can run into downtime sometimes. Sometimes it's hours, sometimes it's minutes. I find it hard to write at home because I have a 1 year old, so I can certainly understand and relate.

If I had to write at home, I'd probably do it late at night. Allie is usually asleep by 8:00.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I am a homeschooling mom with 4 kids.  I always joke that I wrote my dissertation during Sesame Street (this was over 15 years ago), but it isn't really a joke.  I started writing fiction when my youngest was 2 with an hour and a half nap during the day and that was what I got.  My older kids knew that this time was sacrosanct for mom.  

I found that the best way to get any writing done at all was to plan it out in advance--whether while nursing, or folding laundry, or scribbling stuff down on the backs of envelopes while cooking dinner.  I would plot out entire scenes that way.  Then, I'd get the computer turned on and the document fired up at some earlier point--so I didn't have to use up precious time waiting for it to come on--and if I had 10 minutes, I WROTE for 10 minutes.

Other than that, enjoy them while their young 'cause they grow fast.  My oldest two are 19 and 18.  They don't take up nearly as much of my time as I might like these days :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have an almost two year old and my husband and I alternate days when we want to do things for ourselves. She use to go to bad at 7PM, now, as usual, things change, weekly :). She is now going to bed sometime between 8pm-9pm, which only gives me about 1-2 hrs to do things on my own. If another comes around, time management will be taken into consideration again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts