Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having a problem with PayPal and not receiving any satisfaction I found this private PayPal Facebook group and discovered a litany of recent problems :eek:. If you use PayPal for selling your books, or buying ads etc you might find this interesting. There is even talk about people taking a class action against PayPal.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1562231307282271

·
Registered
267 Posts
Exactly why I never use any third-party money transfers ...  If you don't want to pay or receive funds thru my bank or VISA, we have no transactions.  Too many possibilities for interruption of funds, and no real way to force resolution. 

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
boxer44 said:
Exactly why I never use any third-party money transfers ... If you don't want to pay or receive funds thru my bank or VISA, we have no transactions. Too many possibilities for interruption of funds, and no real way to force resolution.
The problem comes when buying a BookBub ad as they only accept PayPal (from me, at least) ::).
It seems you even have problems closing an account. Some horror stories :eek:.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have used it for  around 18 years with  very few problems and no major ones but I have heard complaints of 'holds on funds' and a few other things  in recent times.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Jan Hurst-Nicholson said:
The problem comes when buying a BookBub ad as they only accept PayPal (from me, at least) ::).
It seems you even have problems closing an account. Some horror stories :eek:.
If any business insists on third-party transactions - I ignore that business. I've never used Bookbub, and never will, I guess :) ... PayPal continuously sends me 'junk' that encourages me to update my account. I don't have a PayPal account - what does that tell you?

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AmesburyArcher said:
I have used it for around 18 years with very few problems and no major ones but I have heard complaints of 'holds on funds' and a few other things in recent times.
The people complaining on the Facebook page mostly say they have been using PayPal for years with no problem, but all of a sudden accounts are closed with no reason and you can't talk to anyone. A lot of the problems stem from items bought from China even though the ads say they will be shipped from the US or UK. Apparently PayPal sides with the seller even after there is proof that the buyer didn't receive the goods they paid for. PayPal has bought into a Chinese company.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/12/19/paypal-completes-gopay-acquisition-allowing-the-payments-platform-to-enter-china/

I feel sorry for the people who are desperate to pay their bills but PayPal is holding onto their money for up to 180 days. :(

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
https://money.cnn.com/2018/02/01/technology/paypal-ebay-payments-split-adyen/

This goes back to 2018, but perhaps this is where the problem lies. ::)

But eBay is now moving to cut those ties (with PayPal). The ecommerce company plans to take more direct control of payments on its site with help from Adyen.

EBay said the benefits of the changes would include lower costs for sellers and more payment options for buyers.

The shift will start gradually in North America later this year and eBay expects most marketplace customers around the world to be using the new system in 2021.

PayPal spokeswoman Amanda Miller said the company will "continue to provide a comprehensive payments solution to eBay through July 2020." It will also remain a payment option at checkout for eBay customers until July 2023.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I watched a YouTube video of an Australian couple who had a business selling highly patterned party shirts. They'd usedPayPal for many years. Business dried up with Covid so they tried making patterned masks and selling them online. Business took off but with PayPal not paying them 30000 dollars that was due., their business stopped. Pay pal had put their account on stop until they could prove their business was legit. They provided them with everything, but still didn't get paid and stopped contacting them back. It took TV news intervening to get their account normalised.

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Decon said:
I watched a YouTube video of an Australian couple who had a business selling highly patterned party shirts. They'd usedPayPal for many years. Business dried up with Covid so they tried making patterned masks and selling them online. Business took off but with PayPal not paying them 30000 dollars that was due., their business stopped. Pay pal had put their account on stop until they could prove their business was legit. They provided them with everything, but still didn't get paid and stopped contacting them back. It took TV news intervening to get their account normalised.
This is the type of thing that is frustrating everyone. Until an investigative journalist gets involved nothing will get done. So many people who have lost small amounts have just given up (me included). Some people are desperate as they need the money that is tied up in PayPal. There is a review website that gives Paypal 1.2 stars from 890 reviews (some people wanted to give NO stars. )

PayPal users need to be warned. Even people who've never used Paypal have found that someone has taken their email address to open a PayPal account. :eek:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
boxer44 said:
PayPal continuously sends me 'junk' that encourages me to update my account. I don't have a PayPal account - what does that tell you?
It tells me you get the same phishing scam emails from CRIMINALS who pretend to be Paypal, Target, Wells Fargo and numerous other businesses hoping you'll be stupid enough to click their links that most of us get. Don't blame Paypal for what others are doing.

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LDB said:
It tells me you get the same phishing scam emails from CRIMINALS who pretend to be Paypal, Target, Wells Fargo and numerous other businesses hoping you'll be stupid enough to click their links that most of us get. Don't blame Paypal for what others are doing.
Someone could have used your email address to set up an account. ::)

Quote from Facebook page
Someone is trying to add my email to their PayPal account. I was refused a customer service agent when calling and can't send a message because I don't have a PayPal account

·
Registered
267 Posts
LDB said:
Not blaming PayPal, I just choose NO third-party sites ... I don't care what it is - have been in business for a lot of years without paying a fee to pay my bills or collect my money. And, the reasons are exactly as you posted above - too many scammers, and criminals and it only gets worse, not safer.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The people complaining on the Facebook page mostly say they have been using PayPal for years with no problem, but all of a sudden accounts are closed with no reason and you can't talk to anyone. A lot of the problems stem from items bought from China even though the ads say they will be shipped from the US or UK. Apparently PayPal sides with the seller even after there is proof that the buyer didn't receive the goods they paid for. PayPal has bought into a Chinese company.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/12/19/paypal-completes-gopay-acquisition-allowing-the-payments-platform-to-enter-china/

I feel sorry for the people who are desperate to pay their bills but PayPal is holding onto their money for up to 180 days. :(
Paypal sides with whomever they choose at any given time. I used to sell my books and coins on Ebay. I sold a gold coin (about $500 value) to a buyer in Canada. Ebay is fine with the buyer and me as the seller. They approve the sale, Paypal takes the credit card, and I ship to the address provided by Ebay. A month later the buyer says "I never ordered this item" and Visa refunds their purchase price. Both Paypal (owned by Ebay) and Ebay admit I shipped properly - and to the right address. Canadian mail service says they delivered. Paypal deducts the cost from my account, and even after paperwork and long discussions I never got my sales price reinstated by Ebay or Paypal, both of whom guaranteed the transaction. And, they didn't require the "buyer" to send the coin back to me? I don't sell much on Ebay anymore.

·
Registered
13,302 Posts
Decon said:
This is absolutely normal.

When you open a Paypal account and start to use it for business, they require regular checks that you're not scamming. I mean--what bloody rot to kick up such a stink about it. Frikken panic merchants.

Nuffink here to see.

Move along.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Someone could have used your email address to set up an account. ::)

Quote from Facebook page
Someone is trying to add my email to their PayPal account. I was refused a customer service agent when calling and can't send a message because I don't have a PayPal account
I have to be honest and say that I've had much more customer satisfaction when dealing with Paypal than I've ever experienced when using the car crash that is Facebook's resolutiion centre.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Flying Pizza Pie said:
Paypal sides with whomever they choose at any given time. I used to sell my books and coins on Ebay. I sold a gold coin (about $500 value) to a buyer in Canada. Ebay is fine with the buyer and me as the seller. They approve the sale, Paypal takes the credit card, and I ship to the address provided by Ebay. A month later the buyer says "I never ordered this item" and Visa refunds their purchase price. Both Paypal (owned by Ebay) and Ebay admit I shipped properly - and to the right address. Canadian mail service says they delivered. Paypal deducts the cost from my account, and even after paperwork and long discussions I never got my sales price reinstated by Ebay or Paypal, both of whom guaranteed the transaction. And, they didn't require the "buyer" to send the coin back to me? I don't sell much on Ebay anymore.
People have been murdered going paces to sell coins & jewellery in person. I think it is a risky business. Did you have package insured?

·
Registered
13,302 Posts
Flying Pizza Pie said:
This is also standard practice anywhere and not specific to paypal. The merchant (i.e. the person selling the stuff) ALWAYS loses. Always. I've sold stuff online since 1994, even when I had to have one of those click-clack machines to make an imprint of cards (except I never saw the card, I had to write the numbers by hand).

When the client challenges--bang, there goes your sale. There is no recourse for the merchant. This is standard practice. You jack up your prices to cover for this and shrug when it happens. You develop BS detectors for suspicious transactions. Maybe you can insure for this, I don't know. I never did, but, like "returned" ebooks on Amazon, there is literally nothing you can do, and it's instigated by the card holder's bank, and has nothing to do with paypal, or ebay, or any other sales platform.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
After having a problem with PayPal and not receiving any satisfaction I found this private PayPal Facebook group and discovered a litany of recent problems :eek:. If you use PayPal for selling your books, or buying ads etc you might find this interesting. There is even talk about people taking a class action against PayPal.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1562231307282271
It won't be the first time they've been sued. I stopped using them when they changed the rules for Ebay. If you are new at selling, they tell you you have to get positive feedback before they'll give you your money. The emphasis in on YOUR money, not theirs. Some people need that money and they can't even afford to post the thing out without it. Alternatively, you can put the tracking number in and they'll pay out; except they won't. I've put in tracking number and got absolutely nothing and I've ended up threatening small claims court to get my money. A friend was trying to raise funds for his dog's medical expenses and didn't know there was a special fund raiser thing on paypal; people paid money in and Paypal decided to keep it. They are a disgrace and I won't have anything to do with it.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
LDB said:
This. And the phone calls. So many phone calls.

I've used Paypal for years and never gotten any kind of spam from them. I've never had problem in any way with them. Of course, my day may be coming, but remember that no company is perfect. Even Amazon, and we all know that to be true.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Patty Jansen said:
This is also standard practice anywhere and not specific to paypal. The merchant (i.e. the person selling the stuff) ALWAYS loses. Always. I've sold stuff online since 1994, even when I had to have one of those click-clack machines to make an imprint of cards (except I never saw the card, I had to write the numbers by hand).

When the client challenges--bang, there goes your sale. There is no recourse for the merchant. This is standard practice. You jack up your prices to cover for this and shrug when it happens. You develop BS detectors for suspicious transactions. Maybe you can insure for this, I don't know. I never did, but, like "returned" ebooks on Amazon, there is literally nothing you can do, and it's instigated by the card holder's bank, and has nothing to do with paypal, or ebay, or any other sales platform.
my experience the same as this

and i have sold coins etc before

it isn't the platform, it's an industry that attracts a lot of crap artists

1 - 20 of 26 Posts