Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...which country would you despotically rule?

What would you do?

Some sample questions to spur your aggressive tendencies:

1. Would you subjugate your citizens to a certain diet? Explain.
2. Would you outlaw skinny jeans?
3. Would you create a new religion?
4. Would you allow Justin Bieber entry? Give examples.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I'd tell everyone they are responsible for themselves but that we (the Government) will take care of foreign issues. Then I would dismantle everything except the military, tax and state departments. That's it. Have a great day. If you don't like it, whine to someone who cares.

:)

It would be GREAT to be a dictator.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Christopher Bunn said:

What would you do?

Some sample questions to spur your aggressive tendencies:

- Complete separation of religion and politics. No mixing either way.
- Complete freedom of religion... for ALL religions, not just the most popular one.
- Complete disenfranchisement of people who don't believe in science from any of the benefits of science.
- The same civil rights for every human being regardless of colour, gender, sexual orientation or IQ. (although I might make an exception for people who just refuse to learn anything. Maybe just put them all in one place and leave them there.)

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Use my power to siphon off enough money into Swiss bank accounts for me to live comfortably on a tropical island (but not so much that anyone would go to extreme lengths to get it back), move to said island and abdicate. Who wants a job with that much pressure?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting. You all seem to be benevolent dictators. Even NogDog looting the country and absconding to Tahiti seems fairly benevolent (unless a few thousand people got smothered in suntan lotion en route).

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
If I decided to stay with the job, I would concentrate on getting all children to learn how to read and to like it (hey, no one said I had to know how to do these things), make sure they have basic math skills, and teach them to be skeptical of everything (including what they read and what experts, celebrities, and even parents tell them -- and especially political pundits and politicians) and to practice critical thinking. Then at least maybe the next generation won't be quite so screwed up (nor as easily screwed).

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Christopher Bunn said:
Interesting. You all seem to be benevolent dictators. Even NogDog looting the country and absconding to Tahiti seems fairly benevolent (unless a few thousand people got smothered in suntan lotion en route).
I know plenty of folks who wouldn't consider my ideas benevolent... they think of what I would propose as akin to the coming of the Antichrist.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
williammeikle said:
I know plenty of folks who wouldn't consider my ideas benevolent... they think of what I would propose as akin to the coming of the Antichrist.
True. A few of your aims might get people riled up. I'm not sure if you qualify for the really exclusive Idi Amin category, but I think you have a lot of promise.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Pretty sure I'm about to become the meanest Dictator on KB....  8)

I would implement some strict driving laws, for example:
The cars people are assigned to drive would be dictated by their needs and intelligence/aptitude testing (based on common sense principles).  If you can't parallel park, you're not getting an SUV, you'll be assigned something more like a smart car that's easier to maneuver.  If you commonly turn right from the far left hand lane without using a blinker or even looking over your shoulder, you're going to be in a bright yellow car so people can see you.  You would be able to tell how a person drives based on the size and color of their vehicle, which might shame people into trying to be better drivers.  (Can you tell I live in California?)

I like williammeikle's complete separation of church and state, religion and science. 

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
1. Spread secret rumors and tales that I can only be removed from office by The Chosen One born with special magic powers.
2. Hire ghost writers and filmmakers to tell illegal stories of Hope about the The Chosen One. Enure there are sufficient "contrabrand" copies for everyone to read or watch.
3. Ensure the people who like and believe stories about The Chosen One are successful; ensure people who are critical or disinterested are fed lots and lots of heavily carcinogenic foods.
4. Publicly fear the coming of The Chosen One. Fear nothing else.
5. Do whatever I want to whoever I want whenever I want in any way in way secure in the knowledge that there can never be a Chosen One born with special magic powers and keep the people hopefully waiting and praying for that special day when he or she comes to take me down.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would focus most of my legislation around socks.

1. Socks may not be worn with sandals or vice versa.
2. If wearing shorts, knee-high socks may not be worn.
3. White socks may not be worn with leather dress shoes.
4. Socks that differentiate and sheath each individual toe are not permissible.
5. Possession of argyle socks will result in mandatory 5-year prison sentence.
6. Socks may not be worn on other body parts unless there are extenuating circumstances (such as being caught outside in a blizzard or attacked by wild animals).

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I would require all citizens to walk sideways on alternate Tuesdays.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
"If?" ;)  I ran a dictatorship for a while - AKA "parenting". We told our kids "This isn't a democracy, it's a dictatorship, and y'all are NOT the dictators!"   :)

And that's about all the dictatorship responsibilities I care to have. But I could get behind Amy Corwin as dictator! 

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
Christopher Bunn said:
Whichever is currently wealthiest and has the most modern medicine and technology. I'd rule my citizens with a rod of iron but occasionally bewilder them with prudish laws against rude bumperstickers and showing flashes of thong/underwear in public. I'd outlaw free speech because it's a dictator's worst nightmare and would keep very tight rein on the internet and all other forms of media. (Hey, if I'm going to be a dictator I may as well do it right).

Christopher Bunn said:
I'd set a required national caloric intake/limit, depending in part but not solely on the BMI and overall health of individuals of certain ages. Doctors would have the authority to make alterations on a case-by-case basis as necessary. My goal would be to make my citizens the fittest and healthiest in the world - the envy of every other dictator. This wouldn't be for benevolent reasons. Every dictator needs a strong army in fighting shape.

Christopher Bunn said:
Yes. I prefer flared below the knee. Anything else gives me a pear shape. If I can't wear skinny, nobody gets to.

Christopher Bunn said:
Only if it was necessary to promote and continue my dictatorship.
Christopher Bunn said:
No Biebers, Kardashions, or anyone similar. The celebrities of my nation wouldn't be pop stars, they'd be something useful, like doctors, cops, scientists, firefighters...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts