Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question for NON-authors. (Or maybe future authors.)

Someone mentioned at the DC meetup yesterday that there was a book inside just waiting to be written... and might be, someday.... so now I'm curious.

I suspect that many, if not most, avid readers feel that way. "Gee, I could write a book... if only I had time / didn't have to work elsewhere for a living / knew how to type faster / had a proofreader for my bad spelling / weren't so lazy", etc.

So, if you have not actually written a book, but sometimes dream of doing so -- what would it be about? Don't give away the whole plot, just an idea. A bodice-ripper romance? High-tech SF? Personal recollections about historical events? A how-to book to show off your expertise? Steamy erotica? A fast-paced thriller? An illustrated children's book?

(Yes, it goes without saying that your dream book would be an instant best-seller. And available for Kindle. :D)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Mine would be a book about growing up in a dysfunctional family...I have so many real stories about crazy relatives (literally and figuratively) and often say there is no way a reader would think any of it could be true....but with 7 siblings do I have stories to tell. When you throw in the stories from my husband's dysfunctional family it would be a best seller for sure and of course on Kindle.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I'd probably write either sci-fi or fantasy; or more likely something that straddles both and is not quite either, a la Roger Zelazny.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The Non-Idiot's Guide to Montgomery, AL

(edit)  It would be very short.  "Unless forced by government or gun point don't go"

·
Registered
701 Posts
I would like to write an epic fantasy. I have written novella length fanfiction with someone else but it would be different to totally create a world. Fanfiction...I was playing in someone else's sandbox (but it was still fun)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I've been trying to write a book since I was 12, but never took the time to finish. Several times I came close...ended up hating it and burned all the paper and deleted the files. (which I later regreted). I have several in mind now, but just too distracted to take the time.

on topic- i'd most likely write dark urban fantasy. (Where the real world meets the supernatural and vampires, shapeshifters, witches, and other legendary creatures exist in the modern, urban setting ... )

Since Twilight became overly popular i've been relucant to do a vampire novel, because everytime my classmates hear/read/talk about anything vampire they automatic refer to Twilight.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I grew up in a very rural area.  There are many heart warming stories about the community of people who live in this isolated area.  There are also some very dark stories.  (It was the best of times -- it was the worst of times. . .)  I would like to write about the stories of true crimes that happened where I lived.  This would span several generations -- and include photos!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
It's hard to say because I, like so many others of you, love a variety of genres, and would probably be able to write in several of them.

Many of my friends have said that they think the Stephanie Plum books remind them a lot of books that I could have written (and should have, according to them), and I consider these comments to be very complimentary. I've been really busy with life over the last 35 years, but am soon (hmmm...today, in fact) retiring and going back to teaching half-time. There's no telling what I'll find to occupy the time that I haven't had for myself. (OK, Megan, tops on the list is de-cluttering my house! ;) )

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Having grown up in a military family (career Navy Chaplain) I'd like to write a parallel historical account.
One side would be about how basically a non-descript, non-hero citizen serviceman survives during a time of conflict paralleled by how his family lived their life during the same time.

Basically it comes from having a best friend in High school who's dad was shot down over Viet Nam in 1966 and who came home when the POW's were released in 1973.  My friend was  about 9 when his dad went down and about 17 when he came home. The changes in his Dad, the family and society in general led to us having some really interesting conversations.

As a side, note one of the most moving things I've ever done was peel a POW bracelet off of my wrist and hand it to the man who name was on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd write my memoir... but I'm afraid any readers would think it is fiction.  If I wrote it as fiction, they would say it's too unbelievable. Nobody's life is really that soapy.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Tip10 said:
As a side, note one of the most moving things I've ever done was peel a POW bracelet off of my wrist and hand it to the man who name was on it.
Tip10, I think you'll have to go for a long time to find an event that would be comparable to that one. Your premise for a book sounds very interesting.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My book would be a collection of vignettes about the patients I have dealt with in a psychiatric hospital.

I have a journal where I keep the stories, just have to get typing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have written some short stories...romance with some drama thrown in.  I havent let anyone read them, however. Actually deleted them from my computer and have a special place for my thumb drive where I keep them.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I've taught for 29 years, and would love to write a book, but I'm sure no one would believe many of the stories that I'd have to tell. I've also told our retired family physician (old-time small town doctor) that he should write a book, but I'm sure his stories would seem unbelievable, as well.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I am a factual person and love books based on real events. The best book I have read so far is Blood Covenant. It is based on true events about a guy who was in the Mob and got out and is still alive. Orgainzed crime amazes me and how they operate. That is the type of book I would write if I could find the right story to tell.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
cheerio said:
I am a factual person and love books based on real events. The best book I have read so far is Blood Covenant. It is based on true events about a guy who was in the Mob and got out and is still alive. Orgainzed crime amazes me and how they operate. That is the type of book I would write if I could find the right story to tell.
Oh, I read that one! It's probably one of the last DTBs I read before getting my Kindle. That was a great story, but I felt he dragged the end out a bit. Maybe you should look into ghost writing :)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I would write a western mystery. I keep attempting it, but it doesn't start out like I want it.

Another would be a western shoot 'em up.

Another would be pirates. Argh!

Another, pre- and post-Earth Armegedon...lots of war and soldiers, rifles, bloodshed.

I have too much to do right now to even attempt writing at the moment. Eye'll right a book, someday.

-Sailor

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Went through my journals and found the journal my friends and I shared...It was more like a composition book, which just drew comics featuring ourselves and some other close friends from high school. My BFF and I considering scanning the comics and posting them online or doing something with them. We basically tease every other clique in school esp ourselves. BFF and I may just continue the journal/stickfigure comics...just move them online because many of our other friends that particiated in its creation go to school all over the SouthWest...a couple in NYC. Things are still undecided.

Comics include:
-book crossovers (BFF and I take over Phantom of the Opera.)
-Ideas for prom (involving fireworks and a BBQ)
-Road trips (things that did, didn't, or nearly happened on our random adventures in the desert)
-Our Zombie plans (what we would do if a zombie virus takes over the world...our cross over into various zombie movies)
-Hiking trip (where my friends realized that hiking isn't simply an easy walk through nature)

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I would use my Maternal Grandparents story. She was from a very upperclass Irish family and he was a Cherokee Indian orphaned at the age of 5. He worked for my Grandmother's family. They married in 1915 and had 12 children. The whole journey would make a wonderful plot for a book.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts