Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my opinion this one wasn't as good as earlier entries in the series.  The story was good, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't as well-written.  The dialog was stilted in some places which bugged me to death.  In fairness, I'd still rate it four stars, but earlier books were 5-star offerings, so I was a bit disappointed.

Anyone else read it?  If so, what did you think?

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:bump:  Anybody?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have it but haven't started reading it yet- hope to read it this weekend.  I've been waiting for this one, so I am eager to get started on it!  I'll let you know how I feel about it when I finish- hoping to like it....

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope you like it, too, Zsu!  I'm just wanting to yak with someone about it.  And, in fairness, I liked it a lot, there were just some parts of the dialog where I honestly wondered if the hubby part of the writing team was taking a turn writing instead of plotting ;D

·
Registered
59 Posts
I liked Magic Slays just as well as the other books. I think this was a breather book.  We don't have any of the Roland story arc action pushing this along.  I think there was a lot of setup taking place for future books.  I can see a big conflict with the Order coming.

I didn't think Magic Dreams (in the Hexed anthology) lived up to the series.  Andrea's story was just as good.  Dali's story seemed kinda flat to me.  Maybe because Jim didn't act like Jim to me in this one. 

·
Registered
195 Posts
I also thought it was equal to other books.  I do agree about it being a breather book, and I think many facets of the story set the stage for things to come.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I still haven't started it yet, but my hubby is about 1/2 way through and he said it feels like a "breather book" too!  He told me that either it was because the last one had SO much going on and lots of action that this one just "feels" quieter, or that it is more of a "set up" for things to come....
He DID mention that he is finding some of the dialog kind of "stilted", but that he is still enjoying it-

Really hope to get into reading it this weekend!  (Actually, it sounds like an "all in one sitting" read for me since my hubby is 1/2 way through already and I read much faster than he does, and if it grabs me, I won't do anything until it is finished!!)

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ZsuZsu said:
I still haven't started it yet, but my hubby is about 1/2 way through and he said it feels like a "breather book" too! He told me that either it was because the last one had SO much going on and lots of action that this one just "feels" quieter, or that it is more of a "set up" for things to come....
He DID mention that he is finding some of the dialog kind of "stilted", but that he is still enjoying it-

Really hope to get into reading it this weekend! (Actually, it sounds like an "all in one sitting" read for me since my hubby is 1/2 way through already and I read much faster than he does, and if it grabs me, I won't do anything until it is finished!!)
I enjoyed it, too - don't get me wrong - but I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking the dialog wasn't as smooth as in earlier books in the series. I was starting to feel like a weirdo :p

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I have seen this post and I want you to know I am *not* reading this post. I am not, not, not even though I am curious.  Haven't read the book yet.  SUuuuure you don't have spoilers.  I know you're a good and kind person and don't.  But I'm still not reading it!!!!

It's on my TBR.  I'm savoring and hoarding it.  I am avoiding all the goodreads talk, the Amazon talk and you will not make me read this thread...la,lalallalll, I can't see you...

;)

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL  I should send you a PM, Maria.  Dodge *that*! ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Finished the book last night- and I did really enjoy it....
That said, it did seem like there was a lot of dialog "talking" about what happened/was happening rather than the story taking us "through" was was happening- if that makes any sense at all.  Some of the "banter" that I have come to love between characters felt a little more... forced
I got really tired of "sugar woogams"- LOL
It did feel like a "breather" book where some things were resolved and new things started to develop, much as a set up for things to come-

I think I would say that overall, this one hasn't been my favorite in the series, but I did really enjoy it and there were a few moments that I truly loved.... now to begin the frustrating wait for the next one to be released!  ;D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts