Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 16 coming over for my Thanksgiving feast and I, selfishly, can't wait until they all leave:  so I can light the fireplace; sit contentedly with my belly all nice and full; a good glass of wine and my Kindle.  Just knowing that I don't have to work Friday, Sat, Sun & Mon. I can't wait...like a mini vacation.

With my LUCK:  they'll still be sitting around my table til 10pm; and they'll ring my bell on Friday at noon looking for me to re-heat any leftovers.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'm right there with you.  My Kindle should be delivered on Tuesday and I want nothing but to go into seclusion and play with my Kindle.  But when my family comes to visit they stay awhile.  I have 11 people, not just for dinner but for the weekend.  Do you think they will miss me if my kindle and I just disappear.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Tell them you are tired and going to bed early, go in your room, turn out all the lights and then use your book light to read by.  With any luck they will feel sorry for you working so hard and leave you alone.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I used to deal with the two problems when I was in high school...This is how I dealt with them.

Gables Girl said:
Or they will want you to go shopping at 5:00 AM. :)
Which is when you disappear into the nearest cafe, bookshop, or dark corner of the store with your kindle. Or can volunteer to watch the carts as everyone else rushes for the black friday deals.

tessa said:
or ask you to baby sit
Keep the kids up all night or tire them out with the help of your Wii (or a borrowed Wii). So when everyone is shopping you read as the kiddies sleep.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Look at the bright side, for 3 days after thanksgiving you can serve leftovers, on paper plates, and if they want hot food tell them to nuke it.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I usually like to host Thanksgiving but mom moved away, my brother is newly divorced so he decided to spend it with his singleton friend...it'll be a nice quiet day with just the three of us. My uncle did invite us out but I don't feel like spending time in traffic though they did offer to have Thanksgiving on Saturday like we used to do when mom still lived up here but we'll be heading into the City to see The Nutcracker, something I've been dying to do since I was a child...can cross that off of my "to do" list :)

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I have my daughter, sil and 2 kids coming on Wednesday and they will probably stay until Sunday! That means no reading until everyone is in bed each night!! The grandkids compete for my attention so there will be no time for reading once they arrive!! Actually, being a grandma is so much fun, that I can sacrifice my reading time for a few days!!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Just three. Me, my wife, and her mother. It is supposed to be at her mother's house, but she has a habit of making way too much food--enough to fed three or four people usually gets thrown away when she cooks--and she wants to make a turkey and a ham this year. For three people. I made her really mad when I firmly told her to make only one dinner, but she will not listen and probably make both anyway, three or four sides, and two kinds of pie too; a lot of food will end up in the trash again after being nibbled on as leftovers for a few days.

The best Thanksgiving ever was the year I convinced my wife to go to Canada, Victoria B.C., where American Thanksgiving is just a normal day. We stayed at the Empress, a posh hotel, at off season rates and had a grand time.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Sigh, I envy your mini vacation!  I'd sure love to have one myself so I could do just what you plan on doing.  Sadly, Thanksgiving will be my only day off out of 11.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Geemont said:
Just three. Me, my wife, and her mother. It is supposed to be at her mother's house, but she has a habit of making way too much food--enough to fed three or four people usually gets thrown away when she cooks--and she wants to make a turkey and a ham this year. For three people. I made her really mad when I firmly told her to make only one dinner, but she will not listen and probably make both anyway, three or four sides, and two kinds of pie too; a lot of food will end up in the trash again after being nibbled on as leftovers for a few days.

The best Thanksgiving ever was the year I convinced my wife to go to Canada, Victoria B.C., where American Thanksgiving is just a normal day. We stayed at the Empress, a posh hotel, at off season rates and had a grand time.
*sigh* Our best Thanksgiving ever was just me, Larry & Harley renting a beach house for 5 days on Bolivar Peninsula on the Texas Gulf... Sadly, that sweet beach house no longer exists thanks to IKE! :'(

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not like I mind; but...In order to put the bird in the oven you have to get up with the birds, then feed all the birds, and then wait until they fly the coop (which last year was 9:30 pm) before you can relax.  Also, last year they came back (uninvited) the next day and asked me to heat the leftovers...making sure there wasn't a crumb left.  Heaven forbid I get to keep and enjoy my own leftovers, which I love more than the actual meal....you know; the next day open-faced turkey sandwich special.

·
Registered
780 Posts
SJC- maybe you can tell them on Thursday you are going out to ? on Friday, then go to a cafe, library, bookstore and chill out there for awhile. I will probably try get out of visiting with my cousin and his 2 year old by having to go in to work to check on a patient!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I guess I'm soooo lucky. We're going to my Mom and Dad's Wednesday evening and they're both avid readers (no Kindle though - DTBs only). So, I expect that I'll be able to curl up with Libros after the meal and RE-lax (sorry Mrs. FearNot, you're on your own for the afternoon). Friday I've gotta paint our entryway so it's ready for Christmas, but maybe I can steal a couple of hours Saturday and Sunday I'm chilling for sure (unless my honey wants to do something else).

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Ahhh, I'm jealous too.  I have multiple Thanksgivings to go to, and will probably have zero time this weekend, long weekend or not.  Actually, it'll end up being more work than most normal weekends.  Grrrr.....family!! 

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year (like every other holiday) again with 24 people. Holiday dinners can get a little interesting since my aunt and grandma don't get along real well.  Both like to voice their opinion on everything and each one can be the only one right.  Plus no one in my family cares for my brother-in-law.  :'( Hopefully I make it though dinner. lol On friday my sister and I are taking our kids (7 total) to do Christmas pictures as a gift for our parents.  I am hoping to get some time with my kindle, because I haven't had much time to read on it since I got it because it's almost finals for school so I have been having to spend my kindle time studying instead.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Why do we do this to ourselves?  Holidays should be festive and joyful.  They shouldn't be exhausting and stressful. 

(I still don't know what I'm serving for Thanksgiving)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
supermom said:
I am hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year (like every other holiday) again with 24 people. Holiday dinners can get a little interesting since my aunt and grandma don't get along real well. Both like to voice their opinion on everything and each one can be the only one right. Plus no one in my family cares for my brother-in-law. :'( Hopefully I make it though dinner. lol On friday my sister and I are taking our kids (7 total) to do Christmas pictures as a gift for our parents. I am hoping to get some time with my kindle, because I haven't had much time to read on it since I got it because it's almost finals for school so I have been having to spend my kindle time studying instead.
LOL Supermom...you just made me laugh, not that your situation is funny but I just finished watching Tony & Tina's Wedding on DVD...one argument after another...geez.

I would hope that the one who married the BIL cares for him ;)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FearNot: Go ahead brat, rub it in...lol. ;)

Lynn: They will hunt me down; call my cell, look for me, text me...

Supermom: Sounds familiar... every year; someone starts nitpicking, my brother and sister usually pipe up about something. My father eats, puts his fork down and says, "someone give your mother a ride home; I going home, where it's nice and quiet...send my dessert with your mother." I love them dearly, really I do; but you just can't put them all in the same house at the same time. One year we started a pokeno game after dinner...Oh Boy...that was fun...cards flying in the air and we were only playing for nickels....lol. My kids' boyfriend and girlfriend ask, Is your family always like that?" I laugh and say, it's your initiation." (Big Italian Families...gotta love 'em)

I got news for everyone: If they start; I will go upstairs with my Kindle, relax in my jacuzzi and not come out until I'm a prune.

The only great thing: I am done and wrapped for Christmas...so I get a nice break before the next Holiday and I sit back and watch them run around all frantic and frazzled.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts