Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been using 99 Designs to have a cover designed for my first book. I used the cheapest service, as obviously this was my first time using this service and I wanted to test it out. This meant I didn't attract a lot of the best designers, but even so, I had around 100 covers submitted. Most ranged from very poor, to good but wrong for the book, but I also got some GREAT stuff. Oh, and someone submitted a simple black and white drawing of a tigers head. For some reason. Yup.

I've been eliminating covers as I go, and now I'm about to choose my 2 finalists to work further with. It's been a mostly positive experience and I know I'm going to end up with a cover I love. (Oh, and yeah, I'm changing that title)('Between' in the title AND the sub-heading, what was I thinking?!) Thought some of you might enjoy seeing a few of the covers I now have to choose from! Hopefully this link works:

http://99designs.co.uk/book-cover-design/contests/create-cover-spooky-fairytale-fantasy-novel-469929/entries?page=2

Any tickle your fancy??

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've never heard of this site before, but now I'm going to check it out!

Regarding the covers, I read the blurb on the back of one of the covers (I'm assuming that was from you?..) Anyways, since it's a MG, I like #98 A LOT! Also, #113 is great in the blue (must like the blue vibe for this for some reason, both my picks are that tone). What a fun decision!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anya Monroe said:
I've never heard of this site before, but now I'm going to check it out!

Regarding the covers, I read the blurb on the back of one of the covers (I'm assuming that was from you?..) Anyways, since it's a MG, I like #98 A LOT! Also, #113 is great in the blue (must like the blue vibe for this for some reason, both my picks are that tone). What a fun decision!
Hey! That designer just took part of the cover brief and put it in place as an example. (Is 'MG' a genre? Kids book??) Yeah, #98 is a front runner for me at the moment too, just needs a few tweaks.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Midnight Whimsy said:
I really like #98 except shouldn't the child be a girl? It looks like a boy on that cover. Otherwise, love the "whimsical but still a little scary" feel of it. Many of the others looked too horror-ish for the blurb.

M.W
Ah, it's supposed to be a girl with short, messy hair; I perhaps might need to look at that if others I show it too agree with you..!

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Matthew Stott said:
Hey! That designer just took part of the cover brief and put it in place as an example. (Is 'MG' a genre? Kids book??) Yeah, #98 is a front runner for me at the moment too, just needs a few tweaks.
MG is middle grade.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What a fun exercise!

I hate to throw a wrench in the gears, but from a design standpoint including focus and the reverse "S" layout for directing the reader's eye, #9 gets my vote. Also, the colors attract my attention. I'm sure whichever you pick will be the right one. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Arshness said:
I absolutely LOVE #56.

Love love love.

What genre is the story?
It's a fantasy-fairytale type thingy, with some solid scary. Think Gaiman's The Graveyard Book & Coraline. If you've read either of those. If not, those examples are probably not helpful..!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Matthew Stott said:
It's a fantasy-fairytale type thingy, with some solid scary. Think Gaiman's The Graveyard Book & Coraline. If you've read either of those. If not, those examples are probably not helpful..!
Definitely #56 then.

Many of them are too scary for that. But 113 is good also.

But I love #56. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
113 would be my 1st pick. It's the one I had that knee jerk reaction saying hey this looks cool. I also liked #9 a lot.  Good luck I hope it works out well for you.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
mbroadway said:
What a fun exercise!

I hate to throw a wrench in the gears, but from a design standpoint including focus and the reverse "S" layout for directing the reader's eye, #9 gets my vote. Also, the colors attract my attention. I'm sure whichever you pick will be the right one. Enjoy.
What reverse S?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mbroadway said:
What a fun exercise!

Thanks! It's tough to narrow it down to just 2. You're allowed six for the final round, but I kinda think that's unfair on the designers, so I'm trying to be strict and just choose the 2 most likely ones. IT'S TOUGH..!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CadyVance said:
I like #98 and #69.
Ah, #69! Someone mentioned one of those covers..! They've been a favourite of mine the whole way along, so i was surprised no one else mentioned them so far. Making me reconsider that one, anyway...

·
Registered
942 Posts
I used 99 Designs for my book cover and I found an excellent designer who created a great cover and worked with me on final details way after they were paid. I wrote about my experience on my blog (link below). For the second book in my series, I won't be using 99 Designs, but I'll be working with the designer who won my 99 Designs contest. Cheaper for me and direct access. Plus, they still get paid the same. It's a win-win.

Your covers all look great! My favorites: #98 and #91. #91 specifically gives me a Narnia/Bridge to Terabithia vibe.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
David Neth said:
I used 99 Designs for my book cover and I found an excellent designer who created a great cover and worked with me on final details way after they were paid. I wrote about my experience on my blog (link below). For the second book in my series, I won't be using 99 Designs, but I'll be working with the designer who won my 99 Designs contest. Cheaper for me and direct access. Plus, they still get paid the same. It's a win-win.

Your covers all look great! My favorites: #98 and #91. #91 specifically gives me a Narnia/Bridge to Terabithia vibe.
Thanks! Yep, I'll be doing the same. Whoever I pick I'll hit up to work on my next book too.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
David Neth said:

David, I think I remember reading something the other day - another thread here on KBoards - where someone pointed out that if you use 99Designs, and then go back to the designer for another cover, you're supposed to go through them, and consequently it costs more. I don't remember the specific terminology.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts