Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came to this community at the suggestion of a friend. I am seriously considering purchasing a Kindle. It's a big investment for me. I tend to leap before I look so bring on all the reasons I will love a Kindle and any reasons I won't.

I need real experiences, not the "reviews" and propaganda I keep reading :)

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Welcome!
I can't give a review since I don't have one yet, but I have a feeling you'll be convinced in no time. The people here are great at answering any questions you might have.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Welcome! I don't have mine yet either, so I can't give you a personal review, but if you read the different threads people have posted about their Kindles, you'll be convinced pretty quickly. Check out this recent thread (click): Your favorite top 3 Kindle features? -- it makes me even more anxious to get my Kindle (on order).

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've had mine since last April.  Have had almost no problems (a couple of resets).  It is wonderful!  You can carry an entire library with you (well almost).  Books are available in many other places than Amazon, many at discount (or even free) compared to DTBs.  If you are in a WhisperNet area and run out of things to read, no problem, just download something.

The cost was a bit much for me, but I don't regret one penny that I spent on the device and I would not return it if you paid me.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I bought my Kindle for several reasons:  

The main reason is storage. I'm running out of room for all of my books. They are currently in boxes in the garage, back porch, and in my Mom's attic. I wanted to down-size and keep only those books whose authors I collect. The Kindle will hold at least 200 books and then there are the SD cards, I have a 4GB that will, supposedly, hold much more. Instead of taking a box of 8 -10 books on vacation, I now take 1 Kindle.

Then comes ease of buying. I live in the middle of nowhere in Illinois. To get to a major book store, I have to drive at least 35 miles, farther if I want a choice of stores. I used to stockpile books. Whispernet is great and free. I don't get really good reception but can find hot spots in my house and have a book downloaded in 5 minutes or less. Books can also be downloaded via USB cable. It saves on time and gas. You can order sample chapters for free to see if you will like a book before purchasing and if you purchase by mistake it will ask you if you want to cancel.

The Kindle is light weight and pushing a button to turn a page is a breeze. I had trouble at first bumping the keys but I soon learned where to hold it to avoid that. It will keep your place in a book no matter how many books you are reading at one time.

The font on the Kindle can be changed. I sometimes find that the type in a book is too large. The larger the type, the more page turns. The e-ink technology is wonderful causing less eye strain. If reading at night, a book light is a must. Whatever type you prefer.

Music in an MP3 format may also be played on the Kindle. I recommend an SD card to hold the music as it takes up a lot of space.

The Kindle also has basic web that you can access. It's slow and clunky but workable.

I din't care for the offwhite color of the Kindle. I worried that it would get easily soiled. That has been corrected with a skin from DecalGirl. It is thin vinyl and comes off easily with no residue. The Kindle's screen is glass so it needs to be cleaned carefully to avoid scratches. The cover that comes with it is not very secure so a different cover is recommended by most Kindlers. Again, a cover is whatever you prefer. There are many types available.

Amazon Customer Service is great. I have not personally had to use it but many Kindleboard members have for some reason or other. Almost all have had good responses.

The warranty is good for a year. If something is wrong with your Kindle and cannot be corrected, Amazon usually replaces within days at no charge. If the problem is due to user error, a replacement will cost $180. I f you find that you don't like the Kindle, you can return it within 30 days.

I'm sure i'll think of more things later. Bottom line is this:  I love my Kindle. I'm a voracious reader and can usually read a book a day which can get expensive. Most Kindle edition books are cheaper than the paperback or hardback versions.

My husband and I researched the Kindle extensively before purchasing. He more than I. I didn't know if I could give up my actual books(I like the smell and feel of books) for a Kindle. I find that there is room in my life for both.  The price tag was a bit hefty but I look at it as an investment. I haven't regretted purchasing it yet.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well, I see that you knit. One of the big reasons I got a Kindle was so that I could knit while I read. You can easily tap the turn page button while knitting, or better yet, set it to auto page turn every 10 seconds.  ;D Other reasons I love it is because I can read in bed without disturbing my husband or 3 year old son. I still have to use a book light, but it's so much quieter than turning pages, and I can really get comfortable lounging around while holding it instead of getting a cramp in my hand.

I also love that I can instantly look up an unknown word while I'm reading. I would never do that with a paperback, but it's so easy with the Kindle that I now do it all the time.

I love downloading samples of books that other people recommend, then I can label them (with a note) and later go back and find it easily. How often do you hear about a great book and think that you'd love to read it sometime, then promptly forget the title? Being able to download samples is really a great way of keeping track of those books.

I've had mine for a little over a month and I love love love it. My family all chipped in on it, which was great. I just asked everyone for my birthday or Christmas to get me an Amazon gift card (or rather, my husband told those who asked...) and it all added up.

Sure, there are things that could be better about it, but really it's quite awesome. Whispernet (the wi-fi) puts it over the top- instant downloads, internet browser. It's great!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! I appreciate all your responses. Yes, I do knit and didn't know that I could set the pages to auto-turn...that's awesome! Does it have a stand? I really like that you can buy skins for it, I was also concerned about the color (and I LIKE color!). I am expecting quite a large Amazon certificate any day now and plan to use it to purchase the Kindle. I will also look for the other book suppliers. Love that I can download some classics for free too. I can't find any good knitting books to download yet but maybe someday soon...

Keep those comments coming :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
It doesn't come with a stand, but it is grippy on the back- sometimes I just prop it up on my leg while I'm knitting. I did also get a folding stand for it from Office Max, it was like $8 and works really well. I think they have it on Amazon, too. I just ordered a skin from Tego and it's bright and colorful- can't wait for it to arrive! The auto page turn is kind of a hidden feature not found in the manual that comes with it. I highly suggest your first download be or they give you all the tips that Amazon doesn't. Or just hang out here and you can pick them up that way!

There is also a Ravelry group for ereaders, if you're over there!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I love my kindle as well. I just got it in November. I waited a year and after getting it, I wished I had purchased it sooner!

I like being able to carry the classics without being weighed down and stuck with one book. I usually read another book while ready a classic as they tend to get hard to read and I need a break. Also no more comments or looks from people over the cover - they have no clue what I'm reading! 

the kindle fits neatly into my purse. Its soo much easier to hold and I'm not constantly shifting to get light into the crease as I do books. I can lay it flat on a pillow on my lap. I do have to say I don't use the auto turn page. I'm a very sloooow reader and even at the bigest font I cant keep up but that's just me, I think a lot of those who use this feature enjoy it a lot.

I also knit but have yet to knit while reading. Problem is I like to knit lots of cable items so I'd need my eyes more on my knitting so I catch up on my tv series and knit.  I do like the fact that I don't have to hold the kindle and can read/brush my teeth, cook, feed the dogs and now if I could just read and shower we'd be doing great!!

theresam

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Think you have enough reasons now?  Kindle owners - or are we owned by our kindles? - are passionate!

about their kindles  ;D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Absolutely enough reasons...I'm sold...now if that danged gift card would arrive... ;D

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Hi knit4keeps and welcome. Glad you have decided to get the Kindle! I have had mine since the first of November and love it. I bought it without ever having seen one and after reading the FAQ thread on Amazon for a couple of days back in October. My favorite feature are the different font sizes, the size, the ease on my eyes (no backlight) and the ability to download books using Whispernet. I know you are not going to regret your decision to buy!!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I don't think there's anything I could say that hasn't already been said, and very well I might add.  Please be sure to let us know when you order.  There's a thread on here for that.  And also let us know when it arrives.  We all seem to love other folks getting their Kindles almost as much as when we got our own. 

The one thing I might add is that although I've only had mine a few weeks, it seems so much longer.  I read much more often now because it is so much easier to carry with me.  No books stashed everywhere; they're all in one place.

debbie

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Knit4, sounds like everyone has given you lots of great reasons. I'll just say welcome, glad to have you in our community!

Leslie

G

·
Even though you're sold, I'll have to give you a couple of reasons(few) why I like my Kindle.

I buy almost all of my books from Amazon and I almost always bought hard backs, especially of my favorite authors. Shipping was very costly and waiting for books to arrive was agonizing at best.

With my Kindle, there are no more shipping costs. Most books are 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a hard back book and there is virtually no waiting time. The savings I get just from this has almost paid for the cost of my Kindle in just 3 months.

The Kindle screen is much easier on my eyes than a paper book and the adjustable fonts make reading even easier. No need to wait for special large print books to come out.

While the Kindle is mainly an e-reader, it has many secondary features that are quite useful. With Whispernet on, I can check my email anytime, check my local movie times, get directions from Google maps, use the wiki and lots more. It's like a little electronic Swiss Army knife.

It was a major investment for me but it's one I do not regret for a second. I'd hate to ever have to give my Kindle up. Most of us feel very attached to our Kindles, more so than any other electronic device we own.(some even more than their SOs) :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My Amazon Gift Certificate code finally arrived and I ordered my Kindle today. I also ordered a new Garmin Nuvi, a booklight for the Kindle and some books. Yes, it was a BIG gift certificate.

Status says the Kindle won't ship until March 7 but I'm hoping for something sooner. As a Prime Member I get automatic 2-day shipping and I'm hoping that the Amazon Gods are smiling down on me and it will ship earlier.

Thank you ALL for helping me make my decision. I'm so happy I could SQUEEEEEE!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts