Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever just wonder WTfreakinH?

Talk about bad day. After selling almost 900 books in under three months, my sales have completely flatlined. And that with a new title out and a recent promo that netted 5600 downloads. I have excellent ratings at Amazon and Goodreads.
A reviewer that keeps asking for books to review doesn't even reply to my email.
And now Bookbub actually turned down my listing!  I can't even GIVE money away to advertisers!

Is there someone out there with a voodoo doll with my name on it?  Is it all those unicorns I sacrificed? I am completely at a loss as to what's going on.
I think it's meltdown time. Someone hold me, please.  :'(

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Quiss said:
Ever just wonder WTfreakinH?

Talk about bad day. After selling almost 900 books in under three months, my sales have completely flatlined. And that with a new title out and a recent promo that netted 5600 downloads. I have excellent ratings at Amazon and Goodreads.
A reviewer that keeps asking for books to review doesn't even reply to my email.
And now Bookbub actually turned down my listing! I can't even GIVE money away to advertisers!

Is there someone out there with a voodoo doll with my name on it? Is it all those unicorns I sacrificed? I am completely at a loss as to what's going on.
I think it's meltdown time. Someone hold me, please. :'(
Keep Calm

And Keep Writing

*hugs*

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
I think your 'curse' might be relative.  Your "flatlined" sales and number of downloads might be a dream for someone else.

As for the reviewer who won't respond to your e-mail...  it happens quite a bit.  (at least to me)

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
It was definitely the Unicorns. Plus this is the first day of the Zombie apocalypse. People are all out buying body armor.

Breathe--for as long as you can and stay out of sight.  8)

My current sales chart ___________/\_____________ :'( _____

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I have sold 7 copies.

In my entire career.

So hey, you could be me! ;)

Seriously, keep writing. Having a bad day? GO WRITE.

Do it. Channel that crap into your novel. Sure maybe you have to clean up a few corpses from your lighthearted romance at the end of the day, but it's a lot better way to deal than to melt down!

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jena H said:
I think your 'curse' might be relative. Your "flatlined" sales and number of downloads might be a dream for someone else.
Well, going from 20 a day last week to zero is about as flatline as it gets, methinks.

Mathew Reuther said:
Seriously, keep writing. Having a bad day? GO WRITE.
Yeah, except for the part where I think to myself: "Self," I think, "obviously no one wants to read this drivel. Maybe I should just give myself a nice paper cut and pour some lemon juice on it instead."

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Quiss said:
Yeah, except for the part where I think to myself: "Self," I think, "obviously no one wants to read this drivel. Maybe I should just give myself a nice paper cut and pour some lemon juice on it instead."
It is proven that writing more drivel decreases the drivel ratio in the final product.

Write enough pieces of drivel and you get a bestseller.

So go write. :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
lol,  :D  :D

Great stuff everyone.

I'm glad to know we are not alone. Things are flat all over the writing world. I think the new 'running' zombies are eating all the readers.

To paraphrase some lost dead poet:  Writing is like dropping a rose petal into the Grand Canyon and listening for the echo.

Lets all just hug each other, go back to writing, and ignore the fact that folks are ignoring our babies.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Caitie Quinn said:
Awwww... Everyone's feeling the sting somewhere right now (except Robert and Edward.... Hmmmm *watches them closely*) You're doing great. Just keep moving forward!

*lots of fancy cheerleading moves I'm pretending I can do*
Oh, no, I'm feeling the sting. Not...like, the singer ("I'll Be Watching You" just popped into my head, creepy), but in a totally disheveled, wtf-are-these-horrible-emotions kind of way. I don't usually have one of these days in a quarter, but two in two days? Beyond absurd. I'm not sure what's going on with Ed, but he seemed a little...off...in the December sales thread yesterday. Uncertain, maybe. I dunno, I'm probably just projecting.

In the realm of encouragement, I can only tell you that I, personally, am going to watch Rocky Balboa later tonight. I don't know if that helps you, Quiss, honestly, but it helps me. "It ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can GET hit...and keep movin' forward. That's how winning is done!"

P.S. Your thread title totally suckered me in. It had a very C3PO vibe that I can identify with right now. "We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life."

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Quiss said:
Is it all those unicorns I sacrificed?
Yes. Yes, it is. Stop doing that.

Quiss said:
I can't even GIVE money away to advertisers!
On the bright side: you CAN give money away to ME. DM me.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I know the feeling. I've felt cursed for years, in more areas than just writing. You just have to hang on. If you quit, things won't happen; if you don't, there's a chance they will. :)

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Quiss said:
Is it all those unicorns I sacrificed?
I keep telling you. Don't do that.

It will take the sacrifice of dozens of goats to make up for the unicorns.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, all.
It's just so bloody awful to come off such a high only to see my rank disappear into the depths where no one ever looks.  
Today it feels like I'll never see another sale after all this work. Woe is me!  :'( Whine Whine Whine. Snivel.

The freebie promo obviously doesn't work any more, at least not for me. So much for Select!

Running out of ideas for marketing. Damn you, Bookbub!

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Quiss said:
Thanks, all.
It's just so bloody awful to come off such a high only to see my rank disappear into the depths where no one ever looks.
Today it feels like I'll never see another sale after all this work. Woe is me! :'( Whine Whine Whine. Snivel.

The freebie promo obviously doesn't work any more, at least not for me. So much for Select!

Running out of ideas for marketing. d*mn you, Bookbub!
I just ran an ENT "Bargain" ad that went pretty well. You might consider one of those if you haven't.

Jeanne

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hhmmm. I flatlined completely four days ago for the first time in three years. I'd also just done a promo which usually sees a spike in sales immediately after. My techno savvy husband put a different slant on it. Says it could have more to do with tech problems at the Amazon end than a sudden drop (or cease!) in sales. Time will tell. In the meantime, NEVER GIVE UP!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Let me add my 2 cents about BookBub . . . if you tried to get a paid book ad with them and your book is in Select, they won't go for it. It's not you or your book, it's just their policy. They will not feature a book in their paid book ads if it has been free within the last 3 to 6 months. They fear that you'll run the ad and then go free immediately after, leaving a lot of unhappy customers because they didn't get the best deal. I know it's frustrating, but remember . . . marathon, not sprint. You are doing very well!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts