Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've been browsing the baords here and have seen a few things that I don't understand.  I'm hoping someone can help me. 

DRM - what's that?
Mobipocket - do you need this for the kindle or just to change files to a format that the kindle can handle - is this free?

Sorry for the beginner questions.  I do not have a Kindle yet and am concerned about getting the content that I may want from Project Gutenburg or other sources. 

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
67,486 Posts
DRM stands for Digital Rights Management and is the copy protection that is on books many e-books sold.  With books sold by Amazon, it's designed that once a book is downloaded to a specific Kindle, that is the only device it is readable on.

Mobipocket is a company that makes a Reader that you can use to read appropriately formatted books on your computer or other portable device.  Your Kindle can read non DRM books formated for Mobipocket but you can't read Kindle format books on the Mobipocket Reader.  Mobipocket also has a program called Creator which you can use to convert content from other formats, like PDF, to a format that you can read with the Reader or your Kindle.

Much of the content from Project Gutenberg has already been converted and formatted for the Kindle.  You can find these books, mostly public domain and free, at feedbooks.com or manybooks.net.

We were all beginners once and asked the same questions. . . and now we get to pay it forward. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Ann, This was a great description to both the DRM and Mobipocket questions. It was so easy to understand. This is going to help a lot of new users. Great job! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts