Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Kindle is "glitching".  I've had it since the end of October and I haven't had any problems with it.  It's frozen up once and  that's it.  Today I went to use it and it froze on the home page so I turned it off (and it wouldn't), I reset it twice and it wouldn't.  I had to reset it 3d time before it would shut off, and even then the screen kept "blinking" for a while.  I finally was able to turn it back on, and now it's not "sorting" properly.  My two most recently used item (the current book I'm reading and the Amazon daily) won't come to the top of the list.  It's "stuck" at the end of the list.  I've tried changing the sorting among other things...but nothing is working!

What should I do?  I'm freaking out because my kindle hasn't left my side since it arrived that faithful day in October.
Gisele

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Is your Kindle fully charged?
Which method did you use to reset?
Have you turned on whispernet recently?

Mine did the same thing a couple of months ago and I ended up doing all three reset methods before it finally got back to normal.

If all else fails, call CS!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Of course it is going to happen on a Friday  :p but if your resetting does not work, do call customer service, they are absolutely wonderful - if you can believe everyone here.  Let us know how you solve your problem.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Anniehow said:
I finally was able to turn it back on, and now it's not "sorting" properly. My two most recently used item (the current book I'm reading and the Amazon daily) won't come to the top of the list. It's "stuck" at the end of the list. I've tried changing the sorting among other things...but nothing is working!
It seems like a reset often screws up the time on the Kindle, making the sort by most recent do screwy things. Try turning on Whispernet, if you have coverage in your area to set the time correctly. If you don't have Whispernet, someone had said that CS told them a way to set the time without it, but I don't remember the steps. I think it was on the KindleKorner yahoo group.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's finally working properly, and sorting properly, (after several resets) but now I'm worried that I have a defective Kindle.  It has been alot slower turning pages lately, but i just figured it was because I was getting alot of use out of it.
Man, if I have to go without I'm going to have a breakdown.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Anniehow said:
It's finally working properly, and sorting properly, (after several resets) but now I'm worried that I have a defective Kindle. It has been alot slower turning pages lately, but i just figured it was because I was getting alot of use out of it.
Man, if I have to go without I'm going to have a breakdown.
Do Kindles slow down as their memory fills up? Just a thought... maybe if you had an SD card you could move some stuff to it.

But bear in mind, I'm just guessing, I haven't even received my Kindle yet...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestion, but I actually have taken off 1/2 of my books last week and moved them onto my SD card.  I went to 5 pages of books down to less then 2.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Anniehow said:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I actually have taken off 1/2 of my books last week and moved them onto my SD card. I went to 5 pages of books down to less then 2.
I usually transfer my books back to Amazon once I read them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
gertiekindle said:
I usually transfer my books back to Amazon once I read them.
Is this something we need to do so we can download the books again sometime in the future? Does this just apply if you download with Whispernet?

Since I'm out of range of WN, I download my books to my computer's drive and then put a copy on Kindle. When I'm done reading a book on Kindle, I delete it but keep the backup on my computer and (I'd assumed) my Amazon bookshelf.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing a step in preserving my options on the Amazon end of things.

Glynnis

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Glynnis said:
Is this something we need to do so we can download the books again sometime in the future? Does this just apply if you download with Whispernet?

Since I'm out of range of WN, I download my books to my computer's drive and then put a copy on Kindle. When I'm done reading a book on Kindle, I delete it but keep the backup on my computer and (I'd assumed) my Amazon bookshelf.
The book should always be on your Amazon bookshelf. Go into Your Account and then your media library. All the books you got from Amazon should be listed there. It should also show the location. I think you should be able to transfer directly from your Kindle back to Amazon via your usb cable. I think I remember that being an option.

I'm not the expert, and I'm sure someone will come up with the right answer for you.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I was going to say the same as Gertie- your books will be in your kindle account on amazon. I don't think you have to transfer them back- they are just there.

Lynn L

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Book you purchase from Amazon stay in your Amazon account.  You can delete them from the Kindle and redownload them.  Or, if you're like me, move all your books onto a SD card, buy a bigger card, put the bigger card in your Kindle, leave the house with the Kindle and try to read a book that was on the card you left behind because you forgot to copy all the books from the old card to the new card.  Fortunately, I could redownload the book because it was on my Amazon bookshelf.

You may need to do a hardset, Anniehow.  The best thing is to call CS.  They work on Saturday!  It sounds like it may need to do some reindexing (just a guess).  But CS will be able to step you through it.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
nelamvr6 said:
Do Kindles slow down as their memory fills up?
Never thought about that one. Thanks

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Kind said:
Never thought about that one. Thanks
I have found that my page turning slows down if the book has very dark print. It seems to take longer for the K to process it out. It would make sense to me that a full memory would slow things down, but I've never had a full memory to test this.

Steve

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I've gotten Penelope working correctly myself. The page turning issue however is weird. Most of the time it takes less then 1/2 a second to turn the page however lately I've noticed that about 1 out of 20 page turns it takes about 2 seconds, the page goes blank for about 1 second then only a portion of the page shows up clearly at first, before it fully shows up. It hasn't been problematic enough for me to call CS, but it has worried me that perhaps she has a "glitch".

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi Anniehow, I'm not sure the page refreshing delay is a "glitch".  I have almost all of my books on my SD cards, so Tyrella's memory has a lot of room.  Never had any trouble with her, yet sometimes the page will "blink" and do what you describe.  Sometimes the eInk just has to rewrite itself.  That's all I can figure out.  I don't think you should worry about that.  I'm very happy that you fixed Penelope.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Battery is full and I charge it every 2-5 days depending on weather or not I have whispernet on or off.  I haven't used it today yet, but if I freezes up one more time today I'm calling CS.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts