Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was Amazon hyping the DX for newspapers and textbooks just to sell it?  If not, then why, why, why is there not a textbook category on the Kindle book pages?

·
Registered
711 Posts
No idea. Now you just have to search on a title by title basis.

They SHOULD make a textbook section, we should drop them a line.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The categories don't have to be exclusive. If you give all textbooks the tag 'textbook', then you can have history textbooks show up in the history section, CS text books show up in the CS section, etc., and still have a 'textbook' section where everything in the section has the tag 'textbook', and then could have subsections for history, CS, etc.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Jesslyn said:
Was Amazon hyping the DX for newspapers and textbooks just to sell it? If not, then why, why, why is there not a textbook category on the Kindle book pages?
I hope your decision to buy a DX wasn't based on an assumption that the textbooks you need will be available for it.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Check on the actual publisher's sites if you're looking for specific ebooks.  Or try googling the name of the book.  The not so beloved and not so inside insider on the other side said to expect a lot to roll in just before most Fall semesters begin.  Take that with as much salt as you can stand.  I'm bad and haven't even gotten my classes lined up yet so I haven't had a chance to look.  I'd be getting them for my K2 anyway.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I've bought DTV textbooks for my kids from Amazon, but I never looked for a textbook link.  I always had the list of books:  title, publisher, author, edition, or ISBN, that I used to find the book in question.

Depending on the course, especially literature or history, some of the required books are regular books that are used as textbooks.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Jesslyn said:
I know how to find them; just don't understand the textbook hype, nor the push to students if they don't even bother with a Kindle textbook page and/or category.
What hype? What push? The words "student" and "textbook" are not contained in the KDX description. Amazon did announce that five or six universities are going to conduct experimental programs with Kindles next academic year, and that aspect of the KDX story was mentioned in various publications, but that's all the "hype" I've seen. Maybe you should wait to purchase a KDX until you know for sure that the books you need will be available for it.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I really don't see any benefit of a textbook section anyway. You need whatever book is required by your instructor so just going to textbooks/history really isn't going to be that helpful. It's so much easier to just put the title into Amazons search engine and go right to it. Sections are useful if you are browsing for something to read on a certain topic and aren't sure what you want. Whereas professors want you to buy the book they designate. It's not like you have a bunch of options in choosing.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Rasputina said:
I really don't see any benefit of a textbook section anyway. You need whatever book is required by your instructor so just going to textbooks/history really isn't going to be that helpful. It's so much easier to just put the title into Amazons search engine and go right to it. Sections are useful if you are browsing for something to read on a certain topic and aren't sure what you want. Whereas professors want you to buy the book they designate. It's not like you have a bunch of options in choosing.
Exactly. Type in the ISBN (best) or author/title and you should be good to go.

L

·
Registered
400 Posts
Jesslyn said:
I know how to find them; just don't understand the textbook hype, nor the push to students if they don't even bother with a Kindle textbook page and/or category.
Interesting point of view. I don't think I'd use a "Kindle textbook page," though. There's already a "Kindle Store" to shop in -- so, you just type in whatever book you're looking for! or the category (textbook, biography, humor), or a keyword, or whatever, and you can narrow it down that way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.