Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a call from BoA that someone tried to put a fraudulent charge through my credit card.

Good news is they caught it and stopped it.  Bad news is they canceled my old account and I won't have a new card for a week so no one click buying from Amazon.  :'(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
Put in a different card for the duration? :)

Hope you have a few books in your TBR list!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
akjak said:
Put in a different card for the duration? :)

Hope you have a few books in your TBR list!
I only have one CC. But I do have enough reading stuff to last me the week. ;D But still how can I buy the 99 cent bargains in the coming week. :-[ ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zeronewbury said:
Be strong. We're here for you
Thank you! ;) I need all the moral support I can get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Forster said:
Just got a call from BoA that someone tried to put a fraudulent charge through my credit card.

Good news is they caught it and stopped it. Bad news is they canceled my old account and I won't have a new card for a week so no one click buying from Amazon. :'(
That's interesting, same thing happened to me last month but it was a Citi card. It was also the card I was using for Amazon. I hope this was only a coincidence because I've been exclusively using the card on Amazon.com for 3 months prior to the incidence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lilly said:
That's interesting, same thing happened to me last month but it was a Citi card. It was also the card I was using for Amazon. I hope this was only a coincidence because I've been exclusively using the card on Amazon.com for 3 months prior to the incidence.
I would suspect it is just a coincidence I use my card for other purchases and have never, never had a problem before. Someone tried to put through a $2,100 charge through some foreign travel agency or some such thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts
Just a thought, but you might be able to use a CoinStar machine.

If you can find a CoinStar machine close to you that will produce Amazon gift cards, you should be able to feed the machine with either coins or bills and get an Amazon gift card.

I don't know whether you have to wait for the gift card to be mailed to you or whether it is provided directly from the machine.

Either way, once you receive the gift card, you can register it with your Amazon account and should then be able to buy books until the amount of the gift card is gone.

Even if you need to wait until the gift card is mailed to you, you will still be able to use it after you receive it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Same thing happened to me with my AX card back at the end of January.  While I do (did) use that card for Amazon purchases, I also used it for EVERYTHING else.  It freaked me out because some of the places the card was used (all orders were online) were stores that required you to enter the three or four digit security number on the back or top left front of your card when you placed an order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
A Coinstar GC could get you through. I tried it last week & it spits out the receipt with the "card" # on the spot. I put on on my Amazon account as soon as I got home & it all worked fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts
Robin said:
A Coinstar GC could get you through. I tried it last week & it spits out the receipt with the "card" # on the spot. I put on on my Amazon account as soon as I got home & it all worked fine.
Thanks Robin.

I wasn't sure whether it would be available to use right away, but I thought it was worth suggesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Robin said:
A Coinstar GC could get you through. I tried it last week & it spits out the receipt with the "card" # on the spot. I put on on my Amazon account as soon as I got home & it all worked fine.
Never heard about Coinstar before, but did a search and the nearest one is 60 miles away. Yeah, I live in the boonies, but at least I do have whispernet coverage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
I also had my card compromised recently. It was my Paypal card and I hadn't used in in six months then I used it to purchase the Kindle. The next day someone tried to use it on a porn site(via CCBILL) but they used the wrong name so it didn't go through. I still suspect it had something to do with Amazon since I haven't used it recently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Forster said:
Just got a call from BoA that someone tried to put a fraudulent charge through my credit card.

Good news is they caught it and stopped it. Bad news is they canceled my old account and I won't have a new card for a week so no one click buying from Amazon. :'(
The same thing happened to me last week with BofA - and they would not give me details, cancelled my card without notifying me first. Thankfully, I had a small GC balance left... My new card took over a week, BTW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,566 Posts
Just for circumstances such as these, I opened a 2nd checking account for online shopping. There's never more than $200 in the account, so someone trying to use my debit card number would wind up very disappointed. Limiting the amount available to me has been a perk, too. Frustrating sometimes, but I spend less online this way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,470 Posts
Thumper said:
Just for circumstances such as these, I opened a 2nd checking account for online shopping. There's never more than $200 in the account, so someone trying to use my debit card number would wind up very disappointed. Limiting the amount available to me has been a perk, too. Frustrating sometimes, but I spend less online this way.
Thumper, that is a great idea! I never thought of a separate debit/Kindle account. It would be better than going to Coinstar with only loose change as mine doesn't accept bills and I could transfer money on-line from the household account when I stay under budget on something else! I will head to the credit union on Monday, thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,566 Posts
If you get the 2nd checking account with a CU you already use, make sure they don't link your accounts. I was going to use my CU, but they wanted to link it to my primary account in case of overdrafts...that kind of defeats the purpose. I wound up going to another bank for the 2nd account, and they were quite happy to accommodate my small ongoing balance.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top