... Out of Select!
I've been in Select since I first hit publish. It's all I really know, but all the recent changes mean that us poor plebs just can't make a freebie work. I got lucky over Christmas, and I might put them back in come December, but I think I should try other things. So I ticked the box. Got one month to properly format the Lacuna series novels for mass distribution (short stories remain in Select).
Things that worry me:
- Am I crazy?! I might be.
- Other distributors are in a bit of peril, especially B&N, but except Apple. Given how many iDevices there are in the world, I think that if Apple seriously put their mind to it they could really compete with Amazon. So far, though, they aren't. But sales can be found there.
- I have absolutely no idea what to do outside of Select. I know Select and understand it, but otherwise... I don't have much of an idea. How to market? Promote your perma-frees? Swash your buckles? Any pitfalls to avoid? No idea.
- There is no next point.
- I am excited about the prospect of perma-free, but it might be terrible. I've heard bad things about perma-frees not working out and tanking sales, then being unable to get off free status.
- Idle thought, what about Rakshasa? Paranormal Romance might do okay off Select, but getting borrows on the first one at 99c, then sell-throughs at 2.99, is a pretty nice deal if I can get it. Still, so is first-free with more volume at 2.99, I suppose.
- Question: I always link back to the other books in the series in the back matter. How can I do that if they're all different distributors? One thought that occurs is to link to a page on my webpage, which is another step, but it means I don't have to republish every time I add a new novel to the series. That might be worth it. I noticed I was starting to get highlights on Demons, but then I updated it and lost them. Maybe I shouldn't have. Thoughts?