Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm proud to say that I have finally broken my maddening habit of checking my sales every hour, minute, second.  I've only checked my sales twice in the past thirty days.  And guess what?  The sky didn't fall!  Once I got out of the routine, I also stopped spending so much time trying to market myself and am focusing my time on writing my third novel and hanging with my family.  It feels utterly amazing and freeing.  For anyone who's starting to feel like they are on the hamster wheel of checking off book sales, I highly recommend it!

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
MikeAngel said:
What? you check your book sales? I just check my checking account. ;D
A couple months ago, I forgot that I'd been paid. It wasn't until the credit card company called with a courtesy call letting me know that they hadn't gotten a payment from me. I realized that I'd been paid for about two weeks and hadn't even realized it. Then, I realized that was why I had so little food in my house LOL

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I did the same thing because I got bored staring at the same never-changing numbers all the time. Not that it has changed a lot now that I check them a whole let frequently but I don't get upset so often.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I know!

It's such a bloody waste of time, especially if you find yourself in that "newb" phase where unless you're being featured at some Internet place at whatever exact moment, you disappear into oblivion, rankings plummet and no one will remember you exist until that next serendipitous moment.

EFF THAT, I have less than four weeks to finish a screenplay, am I a writer or not? :mad:

Screw you sales, SCREW YOU! I'll be back in September when the promo's/book blog reviews kick in :p

(I should also stop hanging out on these boards, but I like you all so much...curse your charms ;) )

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
I just heard a rumor there was a HUGE upsurge in indie book sales on Amazon!  The books are going like crazy!

You should check it out!

:p

(sorry)

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
modwitch said:
I'm working on trying to get to a middle ground. Good for you for freeing yourself of the insanity, Julie!
Same here, modwitch. I don't mind checking occasionally as long as it's not every 5 seconds. I'm getting close. Twice a day isn't a problem as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
My theory on why I people check their numbers so often:

Because if there's no change, it doesn't bother you because you can tell yourself it's only been 15 minutes. But if you wait a week and there's no change, it's hari kari time.

·
Registered
982 Posts
swolf said:
My theory on why I people check their numbers so often:

Because if there's no change, it doesn't bother you because you can tell yourself it's only been 15 minutes. But if you wait a week and there's no change, it's hari kari time.
I thought it was hara-kiri. When written, it's technically seppuku.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Ryne Billings said:
I thought it was hara-kiri. When written, it's technically seppuku.
Sorry. I learned everything I know about japanese culture from Quentin Tarantino and Bugs Bunny cartoons.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts