Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm not sure why - but after getting the Kindle,  I started reading again !
I had forgoton what a joy and how calming it is to read. (  I play classical music when I'm reading )
Maybe because its a techie gadget or its easy to use - I don't know.
I think it motivates me - because I can cheaply and easily get the books I am interested in ( tell all - insider books ) - like Richard Clarke, Jeffrey Toobin ( The Nine ) etc
Anyway - Happy Reading to All !  Enjoy !

·
Registered
829 Posts
Isn't it a great feeling!  I've always been a big reader but the Kindle has made me read a broader range of topics.  I like the sample feature for a lot of non-fiction books that I would have otherwise passed by in the bookstore.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Welcome Aboard. Kindle makes reading a joy. Not having to hold a heavy book, not having to turn 'paper' pages...it is less 'hands on' and you can even free both hands up by leaning Kindle up against something and reading. I love the screen, easier on my eyes. Glad you have a new found love for reading again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have noticed the same thing .... I have lots of dtBooks ... I read my way through them VERY slowly and can go days without picking one up.  I find that thanks to my Kindle, I am back to reading every day.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Me too, irabren.  As a child and in my younger years I enjoyed reading and read a lot.  Then about 1980 I got addicted to counted cross stitch.  I totally stopped reading and stitched during all my free time.  Addicted.  After 15+ years, the eyes gave out (and I lost interest in stitching a little).  Eyes made stitching difficult, but reading was still fine.  Yet I couldn't quite get myself back to it.  I wanted to read, but . . . .  I thought hopefully the Kindle would bring me back.  It has!!  I read slow, but I am reading.  I love it!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I never really stopped reading - but with the demands of life and kids, I wasn't reading very much.  One of the first things I noticed when I got the Kindle and began carrying it with me for errands and waiting periods was that I was finishing a lot of reading material.

When trying to de-clutter and organize all my junk, I relied for a while on Flylady for housekeeping tips.  One of her mantras was "15 minutes a day" and over time, a lot of work got done.  For me, my reading has done the same thing.  In short, but regular bursts of reading, I managed to tackle a lot of material.  Reading became very convenient again.  Now, of course, I have unleashed a monster and I make lots of reading time available - and not much housekeeping time  ;D

Susan

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Susan M said:
I never really stopped reading - but with the demands of life and kids, I wasn't reading very much. One of the first things I noticed when I got the Kindle and began carrying it with me for errands and waiting periods was that I was finishing a lot of reading material.

When trying to de-clutter and organize all my junk, I relied for a while on Flylady for housekeeping tips. One of her mantras was "15 minutes a day" and over time, a lot of work got done. For me, my reading has done the same thing. In short, but regular bursts of reading, I managed to tackle a lot of material. Reading became very convenient again. Now, of course, I have unleashed a monster and I make lots of reading time available - and not much housekeeping time ;D

Susan
I used to read flylady and that 15 minutes a day really works well. But for reading in between 15 minute bursts, I give myself 30 minutes.

G

·
One of the things I see about the kindle is it makes short term reading so much easier than with a paper book.  There's no fumbling with a book mark or flipping through pages.  You just wake up your Kindle and it's right there where you left off.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Vampyre said:
One of the things I see about the kindle is it makes short term reading so much easier than with a paper book. There's no fumbling with a book mark or flipping through pages. You just wake up your Kindle and it's right there where you left off.
So true, so true... AND, I discovered this afternoon while riding out to the lake house with the hubby, I can read in the car and not get motion sickness!! I normally can't even read a map while the car is moving and I was able to read all the way there and back! woo hoo!! :D

G

·
Wow, that's very cool.  I'll have to keep that in mind when my sister and I drive up to see the rest of our family.  She gets car sick when she tries to read in the car.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I remember feeling that way when I first got my Kindle but even though it was only a month ago it might as well have been a lifetime ago. I mean, I completely stalled with reading, I'd been on The Mermaid Chair since the 2nd of this month, and if not for wanting to change my icon (whatever icon I have at a given time represents the book I'm on) I doubt that I'd have forced myself to finish the book today, and who knows how long it would have taken at the pace that I was going, next month, next year...

Maybe it was the book itself, maybe it was trying to use smaller text, maybe it was trying to read with the Kindle in the case, maybe it's the bad lighting (the Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 simply doesn't put out enough light for me, and even if it did it has to be attached to the blasted case), or a combination of everything. I don't know. I guess that I'll find out whenever I start The Graveyard Book.

I'd honestly like to share your excitement here but all I can muster is a wish that your excitement lasts far longer than mine did...

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Well, personally, I thought The Mermaid Chair was a huge disappointment, especially since I liked The Secret Life of Bees so much. So maybe a new book will get you fired up again.

L

·
Registered
569 Posts
Leslie said:
Well, personally, I thought The Mermaid Chair was a huge disappointment, especially since I liked The Secret Life of Bees so much. So maybe a new book will get you fired up again.

L
I'd have to say that you're right. I started reading The Graveyard Book and my interest in it is much higher than it had been with The Mermaid Chair.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.